Why did everyone jailbreak their iPhones. How did you hear about it, what got you most interested and how nervous were you?

I remember my non jailbroken days, when finally I got fed up with the dull look of my springboard. A simple google search revealed to me how I could change that boring background, a app called winterboard. I searched AppStore but to no avail so once again I googled. Now I'm searching my app store for cydia wandering if I'm reading a bunch of b.s. Eventually I found out about jailbreaking and blackra1n and researched for a good hard week to see if blackra1n would work for me. Nervously I took the leap and have never looked back. I would like to hear some storries of how you all got into the scene.
    2010-08-10 04:20 AM
    I jumped into the scene on the first JB. Back then it took a few more steps to jailbreak than nowadays.

I wanted a different background is why I did it also.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
    2010-08-10 04:30 AM
    I first jailbroke when one of my friends told me that if you do, you can get guitar hero and free apps. I soon realized that the guitar hero was just a cover for Tap Tap, and the "free apps" were illegal. Since I then had Cydia and Installer, I went through them finding cool stuff. This was back in the winter of 2008-9
    Last edited by whereswaldo; 2010-08-10 at 04:41 AM.
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No
    2010-08-10 04:38 AM
    Cos I wanted to have my own ringtones & sms tones
    2010-08-10 04:40 AM
    Cuz I wanted to get rid of the stupid TurboSIM. Wanted to find a way to unlock without hardware stuff since updates come out and Gevey specifically said only works on 2.x (this was a while back...) so I wanted to be safe. Did some research and learned about jailbreaking (and from a friend who said something about putting themes on the phone). Then tada

I think a lot of people started jb-ing either for an unlock or themes. Never knew about the other cool stuff like SSH, multitasking, speed tweaks, etc. until after jailbreaking and exploring.
    2010-08-10 05:23 AM
    Cuz my friend told me lol, peer pressure ftw.
    2010-08-10 09:15 AM
    - wanted to run AnkiMini (there is in the meantime now a paid Anki app that is much better)
    - wanted to use a custom font with Anki (still need to jailbreak for this, even with the paid app)
    - wanted to develop and run my own apps without paying the developer's fee to Apple
    - SBsettings is a cool reason to JB
    - yes, I was a little nervous with my first JB, did plenty of research beforehand...
    2010-08-10 09:26 AM
    I started listening to the rumbles about JB'ing around the time the 3G came out. I needed a new phone, as my tired old WinMo phone was about to give out.

The dealbreaker for me was tethering. I'd always been able to tether on my WinMo phone with little effort, and if I was going to get an iPhone, it was damned well going to tether for me too.

In November I'd done enough googling and such to learn what JB'ing was, how to do it, what app I would need for tethering, and how it would work. At the end of November, I purchased my 3G, and jailbroke it within an hour of owning it. I've been down that path ever since.

Today, I'm kind of the jailbreak tech support guy at my work.

I couldn't do it without MMi!
    2010-08-10 10:11 AM
    I've been JB since OS 1. I did it because I wanted more apps, bear in mind the app store only came about in OS 2.
    I remember getting games like iPhysics through installer and using summerboard instead of winterboard.
    2010-08-10 11:24 AM
    i did it because almost every gadget that i own is modded in one way or another. of course this was back before winterboard and we used customize.
    2010-08-10 11:33 AM
    Ya I'm the type that when millions of people own the same thing I do, I want it to stand out a bit. I remember the days when I had to do the memory stick swap to get snes running on my Sony psp, the first time I took my xbox 360 apart to put a aftermarket lighted case on it, and countless other mods to things.
    I too have became like the tech advice guy at work, and I work in pit airport so I see qlot of iPhones and tell qlot of people about it. Giving them a quick preview of ireal SMS, sbsettings, winterboard and icon changes.
    2010-08-10 11:43 PM
    Why did everyone jailbreak their iPhones. How did you hear about it, what got you most interested and how nervous were you?

I remember my non jailbroken days, when finally I got fed up with the dull look of my springboard. A simple google search revealed to me how I could change that boring background, a app called winterboard. I searched AppStore but to no avail so once again I googled. Now I'm searching my app store for cydia wandering if I'm reading a bunch of b.s. Eventually I found out about jailbreaking and blackra1n and researched for a good hard week to see if blackra1n would work for me. Nervously I took the leap and have never looked back. I would like to hear some storries of how you all got into the scene.
    I didn't like the looks of it!

Googled Jailbreak iphone and ended up here and haven't left!

I was so scared you couldn't drive a needle up my *****

A lot of people here will help newbies, and yea a lot harass them but some of the older ones like to help and do!

I would name there handles but there is just to many!

The mods here do a lot for newbies and I think they are super!

Also use the search bar!
    2010-08-11 03:25 AM
    Because when I bought my phone there were only 15 apps in existence. When we made the 16th and decided to add it to the phone, we only had one choice

I remember a time when you used to say "I have every iphone app on my phone" and it wouldn't take up two vertically scrolling pages. rSBT!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by one1; 2010-08-11 at 04:44 AM.
    2010-08-11 04:39 AM
    Just because I wanted more customization options. I used to love themes. Now I will never again install WinterBoard. I manually edited all of my icons for Classica 3, though.
    2010-08-11 04:51 AM
    We will never see the most awesome part of iPhone customization again, and the only way to see it is to drop down to the original firmware. MINI-DOCK!!!!!!! OMG mini-dock was the shi......

Here's some more.....
    Attached Thumbnails Why jailbreak-20090809_15_forever_v1.0_-iphone_game-.jpg   Why jailbreak-20070914_rsbt_v0.3.3_-iphone_application-.png   Why jailbreak-iphone-summerboard-preferences.jpg   Why jailbreak-ishare_screenshot-1.png   Why jailbreak-lights_off_game_iphone_1.png   Why jailbreak-rsbt-ss-v003.png   Why jailbreak-rsbt-v026-ss.png  
    2010-08-11 05:10 AM
    ^ What was rSBT
    2010-08-11 05:37 AM
    thats how to move an icon
    2010-08-11 05:42 AM
    I broke mine a couple of days ago (Nervously) How my pinkie trembled!!! BUT 'Push' I did, Now still with fair amount of trepidation I cautiously explore the wonderful world of what I can actually do, So far I have only put Mozart 14th as a ringtone (Yeah I know) gimmie time!!!and alter my font to Papyrus.

ANY other suggestions for a novice?

I broke mine a couple of days ago (Nervously) How my pinkie trembled!!! BUT 'Push' I did, Now still with fair amount of trepidation I cautiously explore the wonderful world of what I can actually do, So far I have only put Mozart 14th as a ringtone (Yeah I know) gimmie time!!!and alter my font to Papyrus.

ANY other suggestions for a novice?
    Last edited by Kalaharijack; 2010-08-12 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-12 02:02 PM
    i wanted an iphone ever since they came out, but i couldnt justify the data plan price. we were at a graduation party and my brother in law's friend had jailbroken his phone with ZiPhone (old school, right?) and was showing me how he put the NES emulator on there. i wanted to do that too, and i googled how to do it, came across "modmyiphone.com" and registered (even before i even had an iphone) and started researching and asking questions.

i learned about Summerboard, Customize, Installer....so many things to take in at once. after annoying everyone by asking questions and wanting very specific answers (even tho i didnt even HAVE a phone yet!) as soon as i got my 3G when it was released (July 11, 2008) i went home, activated it (AT&T was have problems with their activation servers, imagine that...) and jailbroke it. it was a great day. and i havent thought twice about it since.
    2010-08-12 04:16 PM
    I first jbed because I started programming and wanted something to show me hpw things work, so blackra1n it was and have never regretted it since and I'm flying with my programming THANKYOU GEOHOT!!!!
    2010-08-12 04:27 PM
21 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD