I've read around a lot in the past couple of weeks, but it seems like there's a lot of conflicting info out there.

Okay guys, just managed to score a new iPhone 4 with 4.0.1 on it. At this point what are my options? I know that I can jailbreak with www.jailbreakme.com, but since Apple isn't signing 4.0.1 anymore will that lead to any problems? I'll still be able to backup my SHSH blobs to Cydia after jailbreaking, correct? And if I need to restore it back to factory, I can still do so by altering my hosts file.....right?

Right now the phone is dead stock, right out of the box. Should I sync it up and restore all my stuff from the old phone first, or should I jailbreak first, then load all my stuff? Which would be the "cleanest" jailbreak least likely to develop errors?

Final question - I'm only jailbreaking to get MyWi from Rock. If I'm only doing that one thing, chances are my jailbreak will be pretty stable, right? Or does it not have anything to do with how many JB apps you have?
    2010-08-29 01:11 AM
    You'll be able to save blobs for 4.0.2, and that's it. 4.0.1 isn't being signed anymore, so there's no saving that.

Feel free to check with TinyUmbrella, though, you never know when there'll be a saved SHSH you didn't expect. It wouldn't be the first brand-new out of the box iDevice with a valuable SHSH saved on Cydia already.

If you don't have to restore from backup, don't. You can sync contacts and apps and such without ever having to resort to the backup from a previous device. Only if you wish to restore your camera roll do you need to restore from backup. Just clean setup as a new phone, sync your stuff, then jailbreak will work pretty well I think.

And yeah, if all you're doing is MyWi tethering, it'll probably be fine. 4.1 will be out shortly, and then the jailbreak for that. Be sure to press "make my life easier" in Cydia as soon as you jailbreak.
    Last edited by Trooper Sam; 2010-08-29 at 01:36 AM.
    2010-08-29 01:33 AM
    You'll be able to save blobs for 4.0.2, and that's it. 4.0.1 isn't being signed anymore, so there's no saving that.

Feel free to check with TinyUmbrella, though, you never know when there'll be a saved SHSH you didn't expect. It wouldn't be the first brand-new out of the box iDevice with a valuable SHSH saved on Cydia already.

If you don't have to restore from backup, don't. You can sync contacts and apps and such without ever having to resort to the backup from a previous device. Only if you wish to restore your camera roll do you need to restore from backup. Just clean setup as a new phone, sync your stuff, then jailbreak will work pretty well I think.

And yeah, if all you're doing is MyWi tethering, it'll probably be fine. 4.1 will be out shortly, and then the jailbreak for that. Be sure to press "make my life easier" in Cydia as soon as you jailbreak.
    Okay, now I'm more confused. I won't be able to save blobs from 4.0.1, but isn't that what the "make my life easier" option in Cydia is doing? The phone has 4.0.1 on it now.

So, should I just jailbreak right now before I do anything? That way if I mess up, I can at least restore back to 4.0.2 and start over again and then not worry about jailbreaking until 4.1 comes. If I spend a bunch of time syncing, etc. and then something goes wrong, I'll just have to do all of that again after I restore. It seems like it would make more sense to try the JB right off the bat.

Thanks!
    2010-08-29 02:14 AM
    No worries there, just a suggestion, and one that probably doesn't make much difference. I jailbroke my iPhone 4 before I even got out of the store.

Oh, and to clarify...it doesn't matter one little bit what firmware version you're running. You can only save blobs for the iOS that Apple is signing. I don't care if you're running 4.0.2. When 4.1 comes out, the signing for 4.0.2 stops, and that's it for that one.

You either get 'em while they're being signed, or you don't. When the window closes, it doesn't re-open, and you can't save it anymore.
    Last edited by Trooper Sam; 2010-08-29 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-29 02:28 AM
    No worries there, just a suggestion, and one that probably doesn't make much difference. I jailbroke my iPhone 4 before I even got out of the store.

Oh, and to clarify...it doesn't matter one little bit what firmware version you're running. You can only save blobs for the iOS that Apple is signing. I don't care if you're running 4.0.2. When 4.1 comes out, the signing for 4.0.2 stops, and that's it for that one.

You either get 'em while they're being signed, or you don't. When the window closes, it doesn't re-open, and you can't save it anymore.
    Well, if I can only save the blobs for 4.0.2 right now, and you can't jailbreak 4.0.2, what's the point of the "make my life easier" option at this stage? Wouldn't I just do a "stock" restore anyway? Oh, and you caught that I'm on 4.0.1 right now, right?

Oh, and will my phone freak out if I do the JB right away and then install 30 or 40 "legit" apps? Does the JB status affect that at all?
    2010-08-29 02:37 AM
    The point of the button is to save your 4.0.2 SHSH files AND every single other one after that. At this particluar moment in time your 4.0.2 blobs don't benefit you very much since there is no jailbreak for that FW BUT in the future there might be and you'd need them at that point. Jailbreak your phone on 4.0.1 and just don't do anything stupid b/c if you have to restore your only option will be 4.0.2.
    2010-08-29 02:49 AM
    The point of pressing that button is that you've started the process. Because once you've told Cydia to "make my life easier", it doesn't just save the current firmware version. It saves every new firmware version SHSH that comes out. You do it once. It does it in perpetuity after that.

And no, adding App Store apps after you JB should be no issue at all.
    2010-08-29 02:49 AM
    Ohhhh. So right now, it's going to save the 4.0.2 blobs even though I'm on 4.0.1? So that "make my life easier" option won't start actually making my life easier until 4.1 is out, and I need to restore to 4.1 if a 4.1 JB goes bad.

I guess here goes nothing then Thanks again, and wish me luck!

One more quick question. If something goes wrong after the JB, is there anything I need to do now (pre-JB) to make a 4.0.2 restore easier? Other than the Cydia "easier" option, of course. Will a "stock" restore to 4.0.2 be pretty straightforward?

Well, everything appeared to have gone smoothly. Got Cydia and Rock installed, and I'm installing MyWi right now. I did notice on my first restart that a bunch of weird pixels appears across the top during the Apple logo at startup. I hope this is normal?

Okay, first issue. Got Cydia, Rock, and MyWi installed, and everything looks fine. Then I tried to connect to iTunes to sync my music, contacts, etc, and iTunes isn't recognizing the phone. I do have 8.2 installed on the computer - do I need to upgrade to 9.2.1 for it to recognize the iPhone 4?
    Last edited by stream41; 2010-08-29 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-29 04:22 AM
    Yes you need at least iTunes 9.1 for the iPhone 4.
    2010-08-29 04:28 AM
    Thanks, that's what I figured. Downloading 9.2.1 now. I had been holding off on updating since 8.2 because I didn't know if newer versions would affect a jailbreak. Been planning this for a while

Woohoo, about halfway done syncing now. Thanks for your help guys
    Last edited by stream41; 2010-08-29 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-29 04:54 AM
    Oh, and yes, the pixels on the boot screen thing is a known issue of jailbreakme. Don't let it worry you.
    2010-08-29 05:21 AM
    Definitely chose make my life easier. A Long time ago I didn't like the idea but for some reason I clicked it at 3.1.2 and Im so lucky I did. Two weeks ago I found myself upgrading to 4.0.1 (momentary lapse of reason I know) and it took me a day to realize how much it sucked. I totally forgot about it until I downloaded tiny umbrella and checked, lo and behold there was my shsh for 3.1.3 and after a few hours of downgrading Im back to 3.1.3 and very happy my life is so much easier now.
    2010-08-29 05:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD