Hello!

I have a close friend who lives in Germany, and he's willing to send me $200 to buy an iPhone 4 with me renewing the two year contract. I currently have a first generation iPhone since March 2008, and my brother is going to give me his 3GS once he gets his iPhone4.

I don't need a new phone for myself; all I need is the faster phone and personally, 3GS is sufficient. And, I don't mind renewing my contract to get the iPhone4 for my friend. Then, I can jailbreak it for him and all that, and send his iPhone4 using USPS Express Mail International.

I have one concern, though... the SIM card. I read somewhere that the iPhone4 SIM card is smaller than the other iPhones. So, if I renew my contract and activate it, but would need to take it off for my friend -- plus, I don't think I will be using that SIM card because wouldn't it fit my future 3GS -- will there be any problems? What about my friend's?

What are your thoughts? Any suggestions?

Looking forward to your responses.
    2010-09-09 02:58 AM
    1st potential problem is if you're getting the phone new there is a good chance it will have software 4.02 which can't be jailbroken, and that means no unlock.
    2010-09-09 04:21 AM
    You can activate the phone by plugging it into iTunes to get past the slide for emergency screen but do not call AT&T to transfer the service to the microsim. The above poster is correct in that a new phone will be shipped with 4.0.2 or even 4.1 at this point which cannot be jailbroken or unlocked.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    2010-09-09 04:46 AM
    As for the SIM issue, yes it is a microSIM and you will be given a new SIM for it. Youll probably get by by sticking your phone back on the line and telling AT&T you didnt like the phone and are switching back to an older model (your 3GS) so theyll activate your original SIM. But as for your friend he can simply get a microSIM cutter to cut the SIM to fit in the iP4. Or he could watch some vids to learn how to cut it manually. But like someone else said, itll probably come with 4.0.2 or 4.1 which is not jailbreakable or unlockable ATM. You should probably wait till the new JB and unlock is released.
    2010-09-09 05:58 AM
    Thank you all very much!

I didn't know about the jailbroken part. That is so unfortunate. I have one newbie more question... once the new jailbreak comes out for 4.0.2/4.1 -- do I actually need to unlock the iPhone4 for my friend since he lives in Germany? Or is it not necessary?
    2010-09-09 08:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD