Hi

I'm moving out in a few days to accommodation which doesn't have WiFi, just wired Internet. Is it possible for me to use my laptop in some way to create an access point for my iPhone to connect to? As oppose to buying a router..

Thanks
    2010-09-09 06:56 PM
    Why not just buy a router so your laptop isn't tethered to a cable either?
    2010-09-09 06:59 PM
    Hi

I'm moving out in a few days to accommodation which doesn't have WiFi, just wired Internet. Is it possible for me to use my laptop in some way to create an access point for my iPhone to connect to? As oppose to buying a router..

Thanks
    For goodness sake .... Buy a wireless router. Don't be such a cheapskates.
    2010-09-09 08:09 PM
    For goodness sake .... Buy a wireless router. Don't be such a cheapskates.
    For goodness sake we can't use wireless routers in the accomodation! So I've had to use ICS to share the connection from my laptop.. No thanks to the gimp who posted before.
    2010-09-29 12:36 PM
    Lol just to let you know that "gimp" is a mod
    And if you set up an ad-hoc network on your lappy then you will be able to connect

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!
    2010-09-29 01:39 PM
    And what's stopping you from using a router?

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!
    2010-09-29 01:40 PM
    Setting your laptop to create and broadcast an adhoc network wouldn't really be all that different than having a router. So if there's some kind of rule against wireless where you are then that's just as against the rules as a router.
    2010-09-29 01:59 PM
    When are people finally going to realize that you can share an Internet connection over wifi just as you can with ethernet? Can;t be bothered explaining it again, just google "adhoc wifi [OSname]".

And to the poster above me, it's trivial to distinguish between adhoc sharing and routers. Plus, if you hide your SSID and use WPA, it's not likely the security people will complain.
    2010-09-29 04:16 PM
    I don't believe they can forbid you to use wireless. What about a wireless phone? As one poster suggested, simply don't advertise SSID. Get a wireless router. Quit being such a spineless sheep.
    2010-09-30 12:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD