I have 2 iPhones: 3G (iOS 3.1.3, JB) and iP4 (iOS 4.02).
    I have 2 computers: MacBook and Windows PC.
    I have 1 iTunes account.

I just resurrected my 3G from a water bath and am using it as an iTouch for the kids. I would like to move their music over to the 3G and remove the videos to free up space.

I plug in the 3G into iTunes (windows) and make the necessary changes. I hit sync and get this message:

"The iPhone "iPhone" is synced with another iTunes library. Do you want to erase this iPhone and sync with this iTunes library?"

I've only made changes in music and video. Does this message mean that it will erase "everything" (including the kids' apps) or just the existing music and video? I'm OK with the music and video as those are the changes I want. I'm not OK with the apps since there are a lot!

Oh, I did have the presence of mind to name the iP4 as "iPhone4" in iTunes when I set up it. So it does recognize the different phones.

So what does iTunes mean??

Thanks.
    2010-09-12 07:51 PM
    Yes it will erase everything, and then sync the music out of your iTunes onto it, it sucks basically

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!
    2010-09-12 09:26 PM
    So what sucks? It will replace what is on the 3g with whatever you select in iTunes, music, video, Apps. That sounds like exactly what you want to do. If you don't want the Apps to resync, then don't select Apps in Itunes before you sync it.
    2010-09-12 09:33 PM
    It sucks because I don't want to have to go through all the apps and figure out which goes on the kids' device vs my device, each and every time I sync.

iGolf: I didn't select Apps to sync. I'm leaving it alone. I've only selected Music and Videos to sync. So what you're saying is if I leave the Sync Apps button alone (or unselected) it will leave the apps on the 3G?

Thanks!
    2010-09-12 10:38 PM
    If all your kids Apps are on iTunes. If not, put them on. ALL your Apps should be in iTunes. You only have to pick what Apps and music, etc are on which device once. iTunes remembers each device individually and syncs according to your last selection.
    2010-09-12 11:48 PM
    I took a leap of faith and allowed iTunes to sync despite the "everything will be erased" message. As iGolf promised, it indeed only erased what I asked it to replace and left everything else alone.

So iTunes "everything" means "everything I selected" and not "everything on your iPhone."

Thank you very much iGolf!
    2010-09-13 12:15 AM
    This thread title made 2 Girls 1 Cup pop in my head
    2010-09-13 12:26 AM
    When you did this did it keep your jailbreak?
    2010-09-13 12:58 AM
    I took a leap of faith and allowed iTunes to sync despite the "everything will be erased" message.Thank you very much iGolf!
    Glad everything worked for you. iTunes is pretty smart (as a general rule).
    2010-09-13 01:01 AM
    What does that have to do with anything?
    2010-09-13 01:06 AM
    Yes. Make sure you "Transfer your purchases" first to iTunes and do a back up. NOT a restore.
    2010-09-13 01:25 AM
    Thanks. I'm assuming if I check sync apps then my cydia, etc. will be deleted. I bought an iphone off of a friend and am trying to get some of the apps that I currently have on my ipod on to the phone.
    2010-09-13 02:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD