so id like a bit of help im writing a paper for one of my com classes about jailbreaking and unlocking I devices its kind of an arguing paper. id like to have the opinion of everyone on wat i should use as a main focus point. im not asking anyone to write this for me now im asking for peoples opinion. thanks everyone.
    2010-09-13 04:41 PM
    id say the biggest issue is Apple trying to control (what you can and can't do)goods that have been already sold to consumers. People want choice, Apple tries its darndest not to let us have it.
    2010-09-13 05:29 PM
    id say the biggest issue is Apple trying to control (what you can and can't do)goods that have been already sold to consumers. People want choice, Apple tries its darndest not to let us have it.
    I agree with this. I would look for information from the EFF and Apple's stance. I might see if jailbreaking also falls under 'fair use.' For historical information I would research how this was similar to VHS and cassette tapes in that once someone owns a movie or an album, are they free to do whatever they want with it?
    2010-09-13 06:59 PM
    thanks mad man thats kinda the way i wanted to go i wasnt sure tho. control of the device. and as for you soul thoughts i kinda get what your saying. thanks at least i have somewhere to start because im so bad at writing papers.
    2010-09-13 07:44 PM
    yep, pick a side first. Does apple have the right as the manufacturer/developer to restrict access to the device's core operating system or does a consumer's purchase grant them the right to do with as they seem fit?
    Which leads to is apple over protecting the general consumer or are they guarding their investment in future addons?
    Also, is the consumer buying the physical device or are they purchasing the software/hardware as a whole?
    The paper would be good to focus on devices bought without contract to leave att and full ownership questions out of the body.

Really, there's a lot you can do with it and many arguments for and against. Be sure to clearly define apple's current stance on purchase and software use also define clearly jailbreaking as it's meant to be which does not relate directly to cracked applications but rather opens an ethical door for the user. People tend to get that last part confused believing jailbreaking means cracked apps when that is not the case since cracked apps means jailbroken.
    2010-09-13 08:22 PM
    thanks rest easy im trying to go on the side more of going for jailbreaking, the paper is supposed to be more of a argument done without reasearch and im breaking the rules here. im supposed to argue why people should be able to jailbreak/unlock I devices. so its like me arguing with one of you why you/we should do it without any backup. and u not wanting to. but you guys have given me some ideas as to which dierction to head into. sorry for not properly explaining.
    2010-09-13 08:44 PM
    smart phones are, for all intents and purposes, hand held computers. How many other computers do you own that prohibit the installation of unapproved applications?

unlocking allows users to benefit from the iPhone even if they dislike the contracted carrier(s) where they live, potentially cheaper, etc.
    2010-09-13 08:58 PM
    Indeed, compare and contrast what you, the user, can do without restriction with your own PC or laptop, and then with your iDevice.

A good point, as others before me have written, would be to imagine what your user experience would be like if everytime you updated Windows, several of your favorite applications AND your method of installing them were deleted from your PC, and you had to find a new method of reinstalling them.
    2010-09-13 09:27 PM
    dang thats awesome i didnt think of that backing up the way you do with cydia
    2010-09-13 10:18 PM
    I like the car analogy. For example ford not letting you change the stock rims. Maybe someone can link that. Ive read it on here somewhere. Oh its on the dont buy jobs jibberish thread.

I think
    Last edited by kgf88; 2010-09-14 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-09-14 12:10 AM
    EFF=Electronic Frontier Foundation. They helped argue the legality of jailbreaking in Congress. I'm sure if you google 'iPhone EFF' you'll get good hits.

I actually just googled it and the third link down talks about fair use.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    2010-09-14 06:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD