User Tag List

Hey guys, running a 3GS 4.0.1, jailbreakme, blacksn0w unlocked iPhone overseas. 3G, Bluetooth and Wifi are always off but it seems like the battery is draining faster than it should. Here's some stats

11:59 AM 39% battery remaining

in the next hour, I made maybe 4 phone calls, total talk time equating to 6 minutes 20 seconds. And send 3 text messages.

12:59 PM 36% battery remaining

right now its 1:15 and shows 34%.

Keep in mind that I keep all tasks killed, I have nospot installed so spotlight is disabled and I keep my "task switcher/multitask bar" for iOS cleared at all times. SBSettings reads 150 MB RAM free.

Theme is stock iOS 4 theme with Apple logo background, nothing else installed that would drain the battery.

Do these levels seem normal? Considering that I'm not even keeping 3G on (EDGE is also disabled via SBSettings), these values seem iffy. I calibrated (discharge and recharge fully) 5 days ago, didn't seem to help.
    2010-09-17 08:48 AM
    Same is happening with me...I see mixed comments on google...plZ help
    2010-10-19 05:41 PM
    Doesn't really sound abnormal to me. My iPhone 4 can go down about 5% in a hour if I use it 4 times and send a few texts.
    2010-10-19 05:44 PM
    I read that turning ssh off helps o save battery...can some 1 yell me what are ssh and shah blobs...its very confusing to me...
    2010-10-19 05:54 PM
    SHSH: http://modmyi.com/forums/general/729...bout-shsh.html
    SSH is where you can log into the filesystem of the iphone over wifi. SSH shouldn't affect your battery unless you install and use it a lot.
    2010-10-19 06:00 PM
    I usually see a battery drain of approximately 20% per hour of active usage. That is, if I'm actively using the phone for web surfing and Twitter and email checking, with little use of the lockscreen or sleep mode (no 3D games etc) I can expect it to be at 20% after 4 hours. With less usage, obviously this number decreases. Standby usage I haven't measured fully.

It's kind of a big adjustment coming from my first cell phone that could go a week without recharging (depending on how many calls I made), but I've gotten used to recharging the iPhone at least once a day. I also have portable battery backup in case I need it (I use a Fueltank UNO but any one will do), which has saved me at least once by this point.
    2010-10-21 04:26 AM
    In an hour and a half to two hours of constant use (no calls tho) I get about 40% battery drain. From 11AM to 5PM, with no usage, I get about 3% down (so like 97% from 100%). With use from the same time frame, minimal use like checking my mail and responding a few times, I will probably be down to 90-92% sooo it sounds normal.
    2010-10-21 04:35 AM
    Average for the iPhone 3Gs i Believe is a max of 4 hours usage without wifi or 3G but there still are processes running in the background even if the phone doesn't show it. Like Phone, Mail if push is enabled, cell tower tracking, and a few others. So 4 hours on a 3Gs is great I barely get that with my 4 lol maybe 5 hours with 1 day standby.
    "Answering 1 Question at a Time."

iPhone 4: 32GB iOS 4.1 JB
    MacBook Pro 13.3": 2.26ghz/4GB/160GB SL 10.6.5
    iMac 21.5": 3.06ghz/4GB/500GB SL 10.6.5
    2010-10-21 11:04 AM
    My iphone 4 is down to 20% by half 4 after starting work at half 7 in the morning. And that is with constant usage. Ipod is always on. On internet quite alot and abit of gaming.
    2010-10-21 11:12 AM
    Well ...I think my wifi used to be on , resulting battery drain... Thanks for the comments and necessary information...it helped
    2010-10-21 03:37 PM
    the older they get the faster they die. also depends on how many substrate add ons you got to. but that sounds pretty normal for a 3g 3gs or any iphone for that matter
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!
    2010-10-21 04:49 PM
    I tend to take a screen shot of my usage at the end of the night and just do
    Usage / Percentage used
    that'll give you how many minutes to drain 1% on average.
    If it's above 4.4 then I think it's normal enough. 3.5 or lower and something is draining more than should be.
    2010-10-21 09:49 PM
    Thanks for the replies guys. I was curious on where I can get my iPhone battery replaced?

I bought the phone in the united states and had to terminate my contract with AT&T because I had to go live in India for a few years (practicing surgeon in India ATM) Is there anyway I can get my phone battery replaced? I know that Apple's warranty is probably not valid in another country but perhaps by a third party vendor? (BTW Apple's warranty is still intact until Feb 2011.) How would this affect battery?

On the flip side, how much would it cost for an iPhone 4 after contract termination
    2010-10-24 11:49 AM
    Why does it matter? Phones were meant to be used not to see how long the battery can last. I can drain my battery within 2hours or so, doesn't matter though many reasons why they invented Chargers and car chargers and extra batteries.

I'm just saying stop worrying about the little things and start enjoying your phone more. Before you know it your gonna drop your phone and not even saving your battery is gonna fix your shattered screen.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"
    2010-10-24 12:31 PM
    Why does it matter? Phones were meant to be used not to see how long the battery can last. I can drain my battery within 2hours or so, doesn't matter though many reasons why they invented Chargers and car chargers and extra batteries.

I'm just saying stop worrying about the little things and start enjoying your phone more. Before you know it your gonna drop your phone and not even saving your battery is gonna fix your shattered screen.
    That may apply to you, but for me its a completely different scenario. I use my phone to check drug interactions for various patients, to read up on the latest research articles and to review outpatient protocols. When I'm not working, it's my primary means of communicating. I have over 4000 contacts on this thing and sometimes, having enough battery to make it through a phone call is a matter of making a birthday party, wedding or even a couple grand. So no, I don't see as "draining my phone in 2 hours" as a practical solution; I need this thing to last me all day.
    2010-10-24 12:37 PM
    That's where my iPhone sits at every day all day.
    Attached Thumbnails What is "normal" battery drain?-imageuploadedbymodmyi.jpg  
    2010-10-24 12:38 PM
    That may apply to you, but for me its a completely different scenario. I use my phone to check drug interactions for various patients, to read up on the latest research articles and to review outpatient protocols. When I'm not working, it's my primary means of communicating. I have over 4000 contacts on this thing and sometimes, having enough battery to make it through a phone call is a matter of making a birthday party, wedding or even a couple grand. So no, I don't see as "draining my phone in 2 hours" as a practical solution; I need this thing to last me all day.
    Either way the way your doing it should last you all day. Like I said I'm real careless with my phone and I'm surprise it sometimes last me half way to the day. I'll try to not do nothing on my phone besides text msgs and phone calls and see how long that lasts me and I'll get back you.
    2010-10-24 12:41 PM
    3GS has never had great battery life maybe 4 hours with constant use. Since money is most likely not an issue for you Dr. I would recommend you get a iPhone 4, I have yet to kill my battery in a day. It is at least double the time of the 3GS I had before. Or you could get a external battery case for your 3GS.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter
    2010-10-24 02:51 PM
    @MXCO Thanks for the reply. I wish I could be careless but the constant habit of being *extra* careful during surgeries with combined overtime has made me stingy and a conservative spender.

@Captinsmooth: I wish that were true but I'm a resident (doctor in training) and do mission work. For the next 4 years I'll make around 35k dollars. Yeah it's not that great
    2010-10-24 04:54 PM
    If your phone is that important, I suggest carrying a backup battery or something like a MiLi Case for it
    2010-10-24 07:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD