User Tag List

A while back I attempted to use SSH & WinSCP (with Windows 7)to clean out my email cache. I copied the address book file to my desktop then edited it with WinSCP. When finished I transfered the file back using ssh and overwrote the old one. After completing that I lost all of my contacts, but I never deleted them during the process, only cleared out old email address under the abrecent tab. Luckily, I keep a spreadsheet of contact info, but I had to take a lot of time entering the contacts again. Since then my phone got stuck at the Apple logo during a reboot and I had to upgrade to 4.1 and restore my iPhone 4. Now, once again I have lost all my contacts. All my apps are there, calendar is there, it's just the contacts that keep disappearing after a restore. Can anyone offer a solution? Is there a way to copy my contacts off the phone to my sim card so if this happens again I can import them back from the sim? Any help would be much appreciated!! I'd like to downgrade back to 4.0.1 but I don't want to spend another 2 hours re-entering contacts that are lost during the restore.
    2010-09-28 03:25 PM
    Did you set the permissions?
    2010-09-28 03:40 PM
    Honestly, I don't know...is that done in iTunes?
    2010-09-28 04:34 PM
    Go to to the info tab in itunes and check the box to sync contacts. that way if you ever need to restore it will put them back. You'll even be able to get them back on the phone if you choose to set up as a new phone instead of from backup.

Honestly, I don't know...is that done in iTunes?
    Setting permissions is done in winscp. You right click the file, then click on properties.
    Last edited by jkmonkey; 2010-09-28 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-09-28 04:38 PM
    I will try that when I get home. Thanks for the tip! I don't ever remember unchecking "sync contacts". Hopefully,that works b/c my phone is no longer has the jailbreak. Not sure if I should wait a couple weeks for the 4.1 jailbreak or downgrade back to 4.0.1. About 6 weeks after my jailbreak my phone got stuck at the apple logo during a reboot after delted MyWi!
    2010-09-28 04:55 PM
    Thanks for the tips. I ended up added all of my contacts into my yahoo address book and chose that to sync with my phone. Also, I was able to downgrade from 4.1 to 4.0.1 and re-jailbreak!
    2010-09-30 02:08 PM
    have you looked in the sink or on the bathroom floor? sometimes when i lose one of my contacts, its on the side of the sink.
    2010-09-30 10:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD