User Tag List

Hi all, been searching around the net for 2 weeks on my problem, but it seems to be unique. In a nutshell:

iPhone 2G on 3.1.3, no SIM, jailbroken via blackra1n (3.1.2) and upgraded to the current version with a PwnageTool custom fw.

When the phone is off and cable is disconnected:
    -Sleep button will not turn phone on
    -Cannot enter Restore/Recovery mode
    -Cannot enter DFU mode

When the phone is off and cable is connected:
    -Sleep button will not turn phone on (if cable was left connected after shutting phone off)
    -Plugging cable in turns the phone on
    -Can enter Restore/Recovery mode by holding down home and plugging cable in
    -Cannot enter DFU mode

When the phone is on/awake and cable is disconnected:
    -Tapping sleep puts the display to sleep
    -Holding sleep shows "Slide to power off" slider
    -Sleep button will not wake phone
    -Home button will not wake phone

When the phone is on/awake and the cable is connected
    -Tapping sleep puts the display to sleep
    -Tapping sleep wakes the display
    -Home button wakes display
    -Plugging cable in wakes display

Sorry for this being so lengthy, just wanted to cover all the scenarios. I bought this phone off ebay and it seems to have had this problem since unboxing. Prior 2G i bought was just fine and I set it up the same way. Another thing to note is that the home/sleep buttons will stop responding 25 seconds after the phone is slept. I can wake the phone back up before this amount of time passes.

Battery charge doesn't matter either. Can be at 100,50 or 20% and still does this. I have also restored the firmware to stock 3.1.2 + 3.1.3 via iTunes official updates as well as a pwnagetool modified 3.1.2 and 3.1.3, but the behavior is the same. I found some posts about "coma mode" and followed the suggestion of turning off Safari phishing warnings and raising the autolock timer, but that didn't fix it. As a workaround, I have disabled autolock entirely. I was setting this up for my step dad so he could call with it, but if he can't wake it up unless he is near a wall outlet or computer to plug into it's near useless. Any thoughts?
    2010-09-30 08:47 PM
    Sounds like a hardware problem to me, you won't be able to fix it through restores or anything software wise...
    Is it still under warranty? If so send it back to apple..
    If not send it to iFixit and they will fix it for you it will be cheaper than apple fixing it if your not under warranty

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!
    2010-10-01 02:44 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply though that's exactly what I was afraid of. A bit more searching through the apple forums and Cydia brought me to Prevent Sleep, a tweak for SBSettings, from the bigboss repo. It lets me lock the phone and the screen will even shut off like normal. Slighty larger hit on the battery, but it's tolerable.
    2010-10-02 11:51 PM
    This post should be used as an example for anyone explaining what their problem is. Very well described.
    2010-10-03 03:14 AM
    Sounds like a hardware problem to me, you won't be able to fix it through restores or anything software wise...
    Is it still under warranty? If so send it back to apple..
    If not send it to iFixit and they will fix it for you it will be cheaper than apple fixing it if your not under warranty

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    iPhone 2G under warranty?
    2010-10-03 11:59 PM
    iPhone 2G under warranty?
    Lol, YES I AM AN IDIOT!!!
    2010-10-04 12:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD