Ever since I bought ip4 on ebay, when it just came out (sealed box and AT&T sim inside) I needed to unlock to able to use it since I'm not on AT&T.

I noticed that most of the times when I turn off the phone and then on I would get a sim failure. I would need to turn the phone off and on (or reboot) sometimes up to 6 times till the phone reads the sim and gets celular signal.

No problem while sleeping or anything once signal is acquired.

However, since I travel alot I've gotten tired of having to keep turning the phone off an on repeated times trying to get a signal. Since countries have different carriers, in order to get signal from them or while roaming, I have to go thrue the same tedious process of turning the phone off an on repeatedly.

My question is, could this problem be fixed with a factory reset or does it seem to be a hardware issue?

I need an unlock to be able to use the phone and I assume I can't just connect the phone to itunes and restore the phone since it would upgrade my baseband and lose my unlock.

Please advise.
    2010-11-02 04:42 AM
    A restore should do the trick. I'm assuming youre not on 4.1 so, do you have your SHSHs for 4.0, 4.0.1, or 4.0.2?

If not, you can use TinyUmbrella to update to 4.1 and preserve your baseband so you can still unlock. Simply run TinyUmbrella's TSS Server while shift+restoring to a stock 4.1 ipsw. You can then jb with Limera1n or Greenpois0n and unlock with Ultrasn0w.
    2010-11-02 05:02 AM
    A restore should do the trick. I'm assuming youre not on 4.1 so, do you have your SHSHs for 4.0, 4.0.1, or 4.0.2?

If not, you can use TinyUmbrella to update to 4.1 and preserve your baseband so you can still unlock. Simply run TinyUmbrella's TSS Server while shift+restoring to a stock 4.1 ipsw. You can then jb with Limera1n or Greenpois0n and unlock with Ultrasn0w.
    I'm on 4.0.1 and do have my SHSH on cydia and think on Tiny Umbrella as well.
    So, should I use Tiny Umbrella?

Can I get a stock 4.1 ipsw on Tiny Umbrella?

I'm on Windows XP in case this is rlelevant.
    Last edited by allanes5; 2010-11-02 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-11-02 05:55 AM
    I think it's equally easy for both ways. You've got SHSHs, you just run the TSS server and restore to a stock 4.0.1 if you want. You can do the same method to 4.1 as well. It's entirely up to you. You can go to felixbruns.de and get a stock 4.1 ipsw.
    2010-11-02 06:27 AM
    I think it's equally easy for both ways. You've got SHSHs, you just run the TSS server and restore to a stock 4.0.1 if you want. You can do the same method to 4.1 as well. It's entirely up to you. You can go to felixbruns.de and get a stock 4.1 ipsw.
    Going to try that tomorrow.

Thank you!!!!
    2010-11-02 08:40 AM
    No problem. Let me know how it goes.
    2010-11-02 08:41 AM
    No problem. Let me know how it goes.
    I have SHSHs saved for 4.0 and 4.0.1
    I also downloaded the stock 4.1 ipsw from the site suggested.

However, when I run tinyumbrella, I have the TSS Server button grayed out. I cannot shift restore.

Can I shift restore in itunes to upgrade to 4.1 with the stock firmware and keep my baseband since I need the ulstrasn0w unlock?
    Last edited by allanes5; 2010-11-04 at 06:49 PM.
    2010-11-04 06:47 PM
    If you restore to 4.1 without the TSS server, your baseband will be upgraded and you will lose your unlock. So dont do that.

You might wanna close any programs you might be running on your computer. That's probably what's causing the TSS server to not be able to run. Close any Instant Messengers or anti-virus programs. Close off iTunes while you're trying to run the TSS server first, then when you have it running you can open iTunes back up.
    2010-11-04 06:53 PM
    Dont update to stock 4.1 if you cant get the tss server running. It may update your baseband. Are you on Mac or windows?

Also your original problem of the sim failure thing may just be a ultrasn0w bug, so updating may not necessarily fix it. It can be very buggy on a iPhone 4, I have seen it happen on a few peoples iPhone 4's.
    Last edited by Simon; 2010-11-04 at 06:57 PM.
    2010-11-04 06:54 PM
    Dont update to stock 4.1 if you cant get the tss server running. It may update your baseband. Are you on Mac or windows?

Also your original problem of the sim failure thing may just be a ultrasn0w bug, so updating may not necessarily fix it. It can be very buggy on a iPhone 4, I have seen it happen on a few peoples iPhone 4's.
    Well, it's a little relief to know that the sim failure problem is not just on my phone. I had a small feeling it could be the ultrasn0w being a little buggy.

So I guess my safest bet is to wait for 4.2 and the new unlock.
    2010-11-04 07:09 PM
    If you dont have a mac to make a custom firmware and your tiny umbrella is not working right then ya, you might as well just hold off for now.
    2010-11-04 07:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD