The power button on my 3GS is becoming unresponsive. I need to sometimes press the button 3 or 4 times to get it to power off.

I've ordered a new power/headphone jack assembly to try but I'm not sure it's going to be that. There is not much chatter on the web of this happening before.

I wondered if the battery could be faulty or maybe even a mainboard fault? AH!

Anyone suffered this on a 3GS? I see it's relatively common on the 3G.
    2010-11-04 07:30 AM
    Well we won't know till you try the new flex cable. Hopefully it's just the button getting worn out
    2010-11-04 07:39 AM
    Unfortunately I won't get the new cable for 2 weeks. Just trying to gauge if it's worth letting the locals loose on a battery change....
    2010-11-04 07:43 AM
    I'm leaning more towards that it isn't the battery, logically speaking. But hey, I could be wrong. I imagine if the rest of the phone's functions are fine, the main board is fine too. Well, up to you, just keep us posted
    2010-11-04 07:45 AM
    You're right I need to be patient and wait for the flex. Just frustrating as ive got a buyer waiting for this one and it's ready to go otherwise.....
    2010-11-04 08:01 AM
    Totally get what you're saying

Just don't want you going and spending extra money on stuff that isn't the problem. Better to wait and see.
    2010-11-04 08:04 AM
    More than likely from my experiences its the flex ribbon/button. Logic board not likely and battery would cause other noticeable problems i would think.
    2010-11-04 08:09 AM
    Well hopefully your still under warranty and can exchange it?

My brother was under warranty on his old 3G and wanted a new one so he slammed the phone on to the counter purposely messing up the power button and apple gave him a new one! realize I said still under warranty

Also his power button was already having some of the same problems as u described but yes it was a 3G

I'm not condoning this behavior but it was already messed up and as everyone knows when you go to the Apple Store the problems never appear till you get 10-20 min away
    2010-11-04 08:11 AM
    Well I got impatient and took the flex cable from my 3GS and put it in the broken one. Seems fine now....

Obviously mine is shafted though so I'll have to go without for a week until the parts arrive. I have a new battery for mine so no point putting it back together yet. Time to dig out that old nokia.....
    2010-11-07 06:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD