My girlfriend just called crying because she just dropped her iPhone 4 on the side walk and broke the digitizer. I heard that the Apple store can replace for $199, but how hard is it to replace myself. Also is it worth replacing myself or should I just take it to the Apple store. Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Nickaroni22; 2010-11-11 at 07:24 AM.
    2010-11-11 05:05 AM
    To be honest it's all down to how competent you are with things like that. Personally I would fix it myself cos I'm quite handy that way but if you've a handful of thumbs then maybe it's not for you. Another thing I would consider is the warranty, is it worth invalidating? That's just my opinion though!
    Ps Sorry to hear that's harsh
    2010-11-11 07:41 AM
    My girlfriend just called crying because she just dropped her iPhone 4 on the side walk and broke the digitizer. I heard that the Apple store can replace for $199, but how hard is it to replace myself. Also is it worth replacing myself or should I just take it to the Apple store. Thanks for the help!
    Okay your looking at 160+ for a good OEM digi and lcd. You cant just buy one since they are glued together.

Once agin matters how handy you are if you don't have any experience in this i would recommend just paying the 199. Thre a million screws in this ip4 and if you break anything or rip a ribbon your looking at another 30 anyways. Your going to have to wait for the parts to come in or you can just go down to an apple store pay 199 and have it in 10 mins. Just some things to thank about!

There are lots of good manuals on how to take it apart including videos online i like ifixit my self so good luck either way man and sorry for the ip4 loss
    2010-11-11 08:50 AM
    Thanks for the replies, I've replaced screens in the 3GS and iPod Touch. I did some research to see what I'd be getting myself into. The warranty does worry me a bit, she's had the phone for a month. The bumper didn't help much she said it fell about two feet. On the corner with the front facing camera, everything seems to be working well facetime, etc. It's just the fact of a iPhone 4 screen breaking, Its just a bad feeling! Thanks again.
    2010-11-11 09:09 AM
    It's crap man Out of interest was there any damage to the glass front or metal surround or was it just the LCD?

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    2010-11-11 09:15 AM
    The bumper did protect the metal around the phone. I was a bit worried about that. The only damage is the glass.
    2010-11-11 06:15 PM
    Reason I asked is I read somewhere that the glass on the front and back is the same 'toughened' glass used for helicopter windscreens, and virtually break proof and scratch resistant.....

Remind me never to get in a helicopter!

2010-11-11 07:50 PM
    I quote.....

All the breakthrough technology in iPhone 4 is situated between two glossy panels of aluminosilicate glass - the same type of glass used in the windshields of helicopters and high-speed trains. Chemically strengthened to be 20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic, the glass is ultradurable and more scratch resistant than ever.

Ok so breakproof and scratch resistant may have been my words but even still...

Think you would have had more chance with plastic!

2010-11-11 07:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD