Hi
    I know 3G can consume battery power but in the settings if I turn cell data off and leave 3G on does this use power?

Hope it's posted in correct place.
    2010-11-13 08:53 PM
    If your data is off then it shouldnt use any extra power
    2010-11-13 09:06 PM
    It's still using 3G....if u turn off the data it's still connected on edge...which still uses battery
    2010-11-13 09:42 PM
    If he turns cell data off it wont be using any data, edge included.
    2010-11-13 09:43 PM
    The reason I ask is I'm now using auto3g and have the wifi default to turn off radio which switches off data but leave 3G on
    2010-11-13 10:11 PM
    Excuse my ignorance, but why would you want or need 3G if not for data? As far as i knew, it was for data. Can someone enlighten me?
    2010-11-14 11:03 AM
    I don't want 3G when I'm on wifi, so auto3g is set to turn data off when wifi is connected. My aim is to conserve battery. When auto3g implements this setting it turns cell data off but leaves 3G enable. I do understand that the 3G cannot be used for data if data is turned off. My question is, will it still use a kittle battery life????
    I'm I explaining this wrong?
    2010-11-14 01:11 PM
    As far as I understand it, you are explaining it right. It's like the question of a car radio. When it is NOT turned on, it still uses a very small amount of energy. When you turn the lights on in your car, the light on the background of the display also comes on, using a little bit of battery. If you use SB Settings, and swipe, you can turn all that stuff off and on so quickly and easily that you will wonder how you ever lived without it.
    If you are concerned about saving your battery, then kill all unnecessary processes, and shut ALL unnecessary stuff off. Me personally, I bought the iPhone because I WANT all that stuff running, and understand that I will have to recharge the battery EVERY DAY, just like a real mobile phone that gets used a lot.
    I have a wife, three kids and myself doing games and using 2 sim cards on my iPhone 4 (q-sim) and I know that it will never make it through two days... Ever

If I helped, mash the reply button, cuz nobody hits thanks
    Last edited by unklbyl; 2010-11-16 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Misspelled iphone
    unklbyl
    2010-11-16 12:08 AM
    The only power it will use while on wifi is to illuminate the 3G symbol as mentioned in the last reply, which to be honest (don't quote me on this) would probably take a couple of years to drain the batt on it's own. Ok maybe not a couple of years but ya catch my drift yeah, while on wifi your not using the 3G signal as you probably know so it is literally just lit up.

[edit]
    just read what I wrote and to correct myself... When on wifi the symbol isn't even lit. When using wifi the phone automatically switches anyway, the batt consumption for leaving the toggle switched to on will be so minimal it's not worth bothering about.
    2010-11-16 06:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD