So my phones battery died a few hours ago and i just plugged it in and i tried making a call and i couldn't hear anything and the person on the other line couldn't hear anything. Though if i put it on speaker phone it works. Also the screen doesn't shut off when i put the phone up next to my ear when making a call....so i'm assuming that sensor failed also.

Anything i can do to fix this?
    2008-03-19 02:40 AM
    First thing I would do is try a restore in Itunes.
    2008-03-19 02:56 AM
    I currently don't have access to my itunes right now. Would doing the hold the buttons for 10 seconds reset work?
    2008-03-19 04:20 AM
    I would definetely try a reboot, but what your thinking about holding the buttons down is putting it in "recovery" mode....and after that you HAVE to restore in Itunes.

If restarting the phone doesnt help......you cant do anything else without a computer.
    2008-03-19 04:26 AM
    Gotcha. Thanks, i'll try it when i'm at home.
    2008-03-19 04:40 AM
    I have had this problem as well and there IS a fix. The problem is that dirt gets into the headphone jack and blocks the sensor for the ear piece as if you still had a headset inserted. Here is what you need to do to fix it:

1) Take a cue-tip and cut the tip of it so as to get rid of the round part but keep a bit of cotton on the stick.

2) Dip in alcohol (but no to much) just enough to make it moist.

3) Insert the cue-tip into the headphone jack and twist it a few times, this will remove the existing dirt and dust from the sensor.

4) At this point your iPhone should be back to normal and your earpiece will work once again.

Hope this helps you guys, let me know!
    2008-05-10 10:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD