Hi there.

I own an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2 (WiFi) Model. I am planning to use MyWi to tether my iPhone4's 3G internet to use on iPad. i live in japan and my carrier is Softbank and they told me that they dont allow tethering, i was wondering how they get to know that i am tethering??
    iPhone 4
    Firmware : iOS4
    Carrier : Softbank (Japan)
    Jailbroken using Jailbreakme
    2011-05-15 11:32 AM
    I hear PDA net is able to hide your tethering activity from your carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    2011-05-15 03:34 PM
    They look at the MAC address.
    2011-05-15 04:39 PM
    How about MyWi?
    iPhone 4
    2011-05-16 05:57 AM
    It's not the mac address that they look at. I saw an article not too long ago on this and explained how carriers like AT&T were able to detect it.

Snippet from the article:
    Jailbroken iPhones typically use the same tethering technique as a standard iPhone, the one thatís already present in iOS. This method exposes tethering activity quite readily, because the iPhone, when in tethering mode, sends traffic through an alternate APN (AT&T access point/router) for the express purpose of identifying the traffic as tethered data. This makes it extremely easy for AT&T to identify whether or not an iOS device is utilizing tethering, and just how much of their data is consumed via tethering.

From what I read, PDANet and one or two other tethering apps avoid this. Last I heard, MyWi doesn't.

Link to original article here
    2011-05-16 02:31 PM
    AT&T carrier.plist is built in order to charge tethering traffic at a particular tariff. Some people are aware of that and change type-mask in carrier.plist to route tethering traffic through a low cost APN where comes the question how AT&T detect and send warning message.

In the case of Softbank, the only type-mask used in carrier.plist is 7 for MMS/VVM/Data, no APN for tethering, all traffic will be through the same APN and the question is how can they detect if tethering is used.
    Last edited by aneagle; 2011-05-16 at 06:35 PM.
    2011-05-16 06:08 PM
    So the question stands, how Softbank is gonna know someone is tethering?
    iPhone 4
    2011-05-17 02:44 AM
    So the question stands, how Softbank is gonna know someone is tethering?
    Packet inspection will reveal more than one MAC address, the iPhone's and the non-iPhone's.
    Last edited by aneagle; 2011-05-17 at 05:21 AM.
    2011-05-17 05:12 AM
    I hear PDA net is able to hide your tethering activity from your carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Have you used it? I heard people saying Pdanet is quite buggy
    iPhone 4
    2011-05-18 08:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD