Hi everyone, I am new here and I am new to this technology.My problem is that I live in the Caribbean,Barbados to be exact, and as a result, I can't seem access the itunes store, I probably could if I was in Jamacia. Further more, I had an iPhone previous to this one and itunes killed it when I tried downloading. Fortunately, I was given a new one in its place! As a result I am very apprehensive about syncing with itunes,even if I could access the store apps!

Also, I'm sure my iPhone is unlocked because I put my DIGICELL Sim in it and it works fine. I am not currently on line with it yet either.Which I hope to set it up soon.

I would love to access the apps for it and listen to music and so on.Right now its just a phone.

I read about Cydia software and would love to be free from itunes,so that I can easily get some apps for my phone!!!!
    But I don't think I need to jailbreak,but not sure. So how can I get Cydia software on my phone otherwise? What can I do to access apps without going through itunes?????

Thanks.
    2011-05-15 07:54 PM
    Jailbreaking will get you Cydia, a third party type store/download station; however, we can't help you to use jailbreaking to get app store apps. This is piracy. And although you cannot access the app store, which I don't see why not (need somebody to explain this part to me), obtaining app store apps elsewhere besides the app store or iTunes is considered piracy.

So I can help you jb your phone but I can't help you try to get app store apps. You can access Cydia all you like though.

You'll need to download greenpois0n from greenpois0n.com on your computer and use that to jb your phone.

It'll ask you to put your phone in dfu mode. Simply follow the timer in the program to do so. When successfully on dfu mode, do not let go of the home button, keep holding it. Click jailbreak, keep holding the home button.

You'll see codes come up on your screen. Don't let go of the home button until the codes are gone.
    2011-05-15 07:59 PM
    Thanks i.Annie, OK so no Piracy of the Caribbean then? Just kidding!I am absolutely petrified at the thought of jail breaking the phone.I don't even know what that means really.

I did try jail breaking the last phone i had, limerain I think it was but nothing happened,it just wouldn't do it no matter how many times i tried. Maybe that was because Apple had shut it down already.
    Thanks anyway for responding.
    About my not being able to access itunes.They have a form to fill out if you want to purchase anything.On it they have a drop down list of many countries,all except Barbados. And there is no "Other" or no way of typing it in yourself.So as I can't put in Barbados, I can get any further with the payments form.
    So if I use GreenpoisON and I fluff it a couple of times, it won't hurt the phone will it? I don't want to have my phone killed again!!
    2011-05-15 08:28 PM
    I'll admit that was a good one. Funny lol.

How come you can't just like put another nearby country or something? Sorry if these questions are stupid lol, I really dont know how these things work outside the US.

If you use greenpois0n it should be ok. I mean if anything goes wrong a restore will fix it.

But likely, many people find GP very easy to use.
    2011-05-15 08:31 PM
    No I can't put another country because when I put in my credit card details it will say Barbados. I mean Jamacia is listed. Maybe I should try it? AHhhhhhhhh,sighs

OK then,I'm just going to go and get a nice rum n' coke to bolster my confidence BEFORE i try the Greenthingy.I found the web site and it looks very easy to do. And as you say,a restore will fix it gulp!
    Cheers!
    2011-05-15 08:44 PM
    Lol good luck with the jailbreak. I'm curious now, about the app store thing. Wonder why Barbados isn't in the list.
    2011-05-15 08:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD