If there is wifi, the phone always connects to the wifi (as long as you have wifi turned on). There wouldn't be a need to shut 3G off if there is wifi, but you can if you just wanna be sure. Yes, if you leave your house and wifi is out of range, it will switch to 3G to do anything that requires data such as email, web, online games, google maps, etc. And lastly, words with friends, of course if you're playing online with friends you have to be connected to the internet to do so (as with many other games as well).

200MB is not a lot. It's probably good for people who very occasionally use data and use wifi 95% of the time. I can blow through 200MB in 2 days, but I"m a moderate data user. If you get a 200MB plan, you should avoid using your data to play games or surf the web too much. Especially playing games, it's easy to lose track.

AT&T's systems are slow to update with data usage, so watch out for that. If you have 10MB one minute and you use some more data, you probably won't see an update for a few hours and think it's ok to keep using it. Next thing you know you've used up 100MB by the next day. So pace yourself with the data usage...

Basically turning off 3G doesn't turn off data. You can turn off data if you'd like, but with data off you can't use anything that requires it without wifi.
    2011-06-20 06:44 PM
    1: so (sorry if this is repetitive but) if i turn off notifications for words with friends will it stop using up my data?
    and 2: just making sure if i turn off 3G and theres no wifi then it'll be impossible to use the internet right?
    2011-06-21 04:15 AM
    I don't believe notifications will use much data. But you shouldn't get a notification that it's your turn if you're not on the app already playing the game right? If you're already on the game it's going to use data anyhow.

And no you can't possibly use the Internet if you don't have wifi or if data is turned off. Turning 3G off and turning data off are different things. Turning 3G off turns your phone to use standard edge or 2G. If you turn 3G off there's still Internet access, it will just be very slow.

You'll need to turn data off, not just 3G, if that's what you're asking.
    2011-06-21 05:59 AM
    ohhhhhh so is there an option that allows me to turn of data completely (in case im running out of data and i dont feel like paying extra)?

and also (for the game) you dont have to have the game be open to receive notification cuz my friend has a ipod 2g (with no multitasking) and he still receives notifications without having the app open
    2011-06-21 04:40 PM
    ohhhhhh so is there an option that allows me to turn of data completely (in case im running out of data and i dont feel like paying extra)?

and also (for the game) you dont have to have the game be open to receive notification cuz my friend has a ipod 2g (with no multitasking) and he still receives notifications without having the app open
    to turn off data just go to settings>general>network>tun off cellular data
    2011-06-21 05:09 PM
    I suppose disable push notifications then if you're not wanting them from the game
    2011-06-21 06:49 PM
    lol. ok. thank you so much for your time. i really appreciate it and everything is making a little more sense. haha
    2011-06-21 07:50 PM
    lol. ok. thank you so much for your time. i really appreciate it and everything is making a little more sense. haha
    no problem. Hope it all works out for you
    2011-06-21 11:48 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD