I just recieved a letter from AT&T telling me that they know I am tethering and that they will automatically sign me up on June 24th for a tethering plan unless I sign up myself.

Have you guys recieved a letter like this, what should I do?

I do use MiFi. I usually use around 2-3gb a month, this month i used 6! Primarily because I downloaded a few navigation apps (3.4gb total).

Update 6/17

So, I called a sales rep. Basically she asked me a series of questions, and I answered good enough to get by with the "well, nothing you are doing seems to be regarded as tethered." I thought i was in the clear. She said the "network" signaled that my data to my iPhone was not stopping there, but stopping somewhere else. She said they had proof, but she didn't have access to it. I asked for the proof, she said it is on the "network" and I couldn't have it.

Basically, I summed it up as:

We determined through a series of questions I am not at fault, you have proof of me tethering, but you won't give it to me, and you are going to enroll me in a program to tether even though you won't give me proof of what I am "allegedly" doing wrong. She said yea.

I asked for a tier 2 service support, she said she was it.
    Last edited by ccoltmanm; 2011-06-18 at 05:33 AM.
    2011-06-17 08:26 PM
    You should... leave AT&T. Protest with your wallet. Find a carrier that that allows you to use your data in whichever way you want.

Either that or simply sign up for the tethering plan.
    2011-06-17 09:16 PM
    I just recieved a letter from AT&T telling me that they know I am tethering and that they will automatically sign me up on June 24th for a tethering plan unless I sign up myself.

Have you guys recieved a letter like this, what should I do?

I do use MiFi. I usually use around 2-3gb a month, this month i used 6! Primarily because I downloaded a few navigation apps (3.4gb total).

Update 6/17

So, I called a sales rep. Basically she asked me a series of questions, and I answered good enough to get by with the "well, nothing you are doing seems to be regarded as tethered." I thought i was in the clear. She said the "network" signaled that my data to my iPhone was not stopping there, but stopping somewhere else. She said they had proof, but she didn't have access to it. I asked for the proof, she said it is on the "network" and I couldn't have it.

Basically, I summed it up as:

We determined through a series of questions I am not at fault, you have proof of me tethering, but you won't give it to me, and you are going to enroll me in a program to tether even though you won't give me proof of what I am "allegedly" doing wrong. She said yea.

I asked for a tier 2 service support, she said she was it.

You should... leave AT&T. Protest with your wallet. Find a carrier that that allows you to use your data in whichever way you want.

Either that or simply sign up for the tethering plan.

I'm still grandfathered in to the unlimited plan... didn't want to lose it. Feel I should be able to use my data as I want.
    Last edited by ccoltmanm; 2011-06-18 at 05:36 AM.
    2011-06-18 05:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD