Hey there, just joined the iPhone family for the first time.
    Was a blackberry user but over vacation I forgot to take my phone out of my shorts before jumping in the pool so I just picked up a used iPhone 4 yesterday.

I did some simple searches but couldn't find any exact answers to what I need.

The previous owner did not delete ANYTHING from the phone, of course I don't need his info but I would love to keep the music, apps, and games.

Is there a way I can reset the phone to factory setting and somehow back up the music/apps/games? If I connect the phone to iTunes, will I be able to keep/backup items that were not bought on my account? If I sync the phone to my itunes now which has absolutely nothing, will it stop allowing me to use the games and music on the phone now?

Coming from my blackberry I could just move files around like a regular usb device, am i able to do that with the music currently on the iphone, therefore moving it back after factory reset?

Which reset option should I use to delete all his sms/contacts/apps info like all the current games/highscores.

It is an att iphone 4, version 4.3.2 Should I update to leave it as is?

Thanks for all your help.
    2011-06-21 08:29 PM
    Two choices: 1) leave it alone and enjoy the prior owners paid apps, music, etc ..... or 2) start over.
    iTunes does not support any other option. Once you sync with your account everything that doesn't belong to you will be deleted.
    2011-06-21 08:42 PM
    NoooOOOoOOoOoOoo So therefore I won't be able to add anything else I want since I don't have access to his itunes?
    2011-06-21 08:46 PM
    On the iPhone Settings/Store, you can change the Apple log-in to yours and download new stuff. This won't delete anything.
    2011-06-21 08:48 PM
    Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll have to manually delete everything I don't need.
    2011-06-21 08:52 PM
    There are quicker ways, but requires a bit of internal iphone knowledge. It's best (and safest) to do it manually.
    2011-06-21 08:54 PM
    Did some more searching and came across ifunbox. Can I use this program to back up the files and reload them after reset? Does the iphone 4 need to be jailbroken to use this program?
    2011-06-21 11:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD