User Tag List

I want to set up Hotmail as default in the Mail app, but Id like it to use push, sync all existing emails, and show all folders. No need to sync contacts and calendar. Are there any good instructions for this?

About a year ago I switched to Gmail as Hotmail was such a pain to get working smoothly, but that was obviously before iOS 4 and now I need to set up an iPhone for a friend that intends to stick to Hotmail. There will only be the one email account on the phone.

Thanks for any suggestions!
    2011-06-30 10:17 AM
    Hotmail is terrible on the iPhone. It only allows POP access where Google works with IMAP. If you don't know the difference ... it's BIG. Push, sync, show all folders, etc all has to do with the differences. Setting up the basic Hotmail account is simple. Just enter the account info and the iPhone fills in the rest.

Not sure, but Microsoft/Hotmail probably allow IMAP with their paid or Plus accounts.
    2011-06-30 04:20 PM
    2011-06-30 05:22 PM
    Ok, thanks - I also had the problem of not being able to set up Hotmail as IMAP a year ago (only POP). Has that changed? Or does the current Exchange option include IMAP?
    2011-07-01 07:19 AM
    Exchange is different to imap. Better IMO. You have full access to all your folders and emails get pushed to your device.
    2011-07-01 01:28 PM
    Exchange is different to imap. Better IMO. You have full access to all your folders and emails get pushed to your device.
    Great, that addresses my concerns. I'll go for that option. Thanks for the clarification.
    2011-07-01 02:53 PM
    One additional thing (and maybe it's only me). I've had problems using multiple email accounts, especially when using exchange.
    2011-07-01 03:02 PM
    One additional thing (and maybe it's only me). I've had problems using multiple email accounts, especially when using exchange.
    Thanks for the heads up. However in my case there's only the one account so it should be fine.

Does anyone know what I enter in the Server field when setting up Hotmail as Exchange by the way? Thanks.
    2011-07-04 08:58 AM
    2011-07-04 02:20 PM
    Works a charm, but for some reason the Sent Items do not sync. Any idea how to fix that? Thanks
    2011-07-10 08:08 PM
    Check under advanced settings for that mail and see if you can add sent folder to sync.
    2011-07-10 11:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD