ok i HAD a 3g with 3.1.2 jailbroken with blackra1n and i got stuck on the Apple logo screen after 1 and a half years.

so i got i tunes to recognize it but it updated to whatever the current firm ware is.

over the last 2 days i would lose signal then it would come back on, phone was just not running right.

i turned phone off to turn it back on and pick up signal again and it never came back on

i got the apple logo screen with the spinning circle behind it.

i was able to shut it down using home and power button,tried to get i tunes to recognize it.
    let it charge over night.

well it WAS jail broken with blackra1n
    i got i tune to recognize it and thought it would revert back to what i had saved,
    now its locked probably at 4.xx and I tunes wants a AT&T sim card to activate.

I have T Mobile, now,
    do i need a AT&T sim card to re activate the phone?

and once activated will i be able to unlock it at 4.xx?

and if i can unlock it can i go back to 3.1.2?

what is the current ios at/4.XX? thats where my phone is now.

i will get an AT&T prepaid to get the sim card if i have to.

thanks in advance for ANY help.

ive seen unlocking software for $24.99(iphone unlocker pro)says it will unlock at ANY ios4.3.3
    i'd rather not pay if i don't have to.
    Last edited by robby65; 2011-07-06 at 04:47 AM.
    2011-07-06 04:42 AM
    wow 84 views and no suggestions? sorry if this is in the wrong place.
    2011-07-07 03:21 AM
    Make Custom Firmware 4.2.1 and have the software activate it, then you won't need an ATT SIM. This will also preserve your baseband at whatever it is at right now. Use Pwnage Tool for MAC or Sn0wbreeze for Windoz.
    2011-07-07 06:47 AM
    ...so i got i tunes to recognize it but it updated to whatever the current firm ware is....
    If this is true ... then to get an unlock you must update the baseband again ... to the iPad 6.15.x with Redsn0w. Many tutorials exist here and on iClarified.Com.
    2011-07-07 07:33 AM
    "Make Custom Firmware 4.2.1 and have the software activate it," what software Sn0wbreeze?

i have windows
    the iphone took whatever update that is available with i tunes on june 26th

If this is true ... then to get an unlock you must update the baseband again ... to the iPad 6.15.x with Redsn0w. Many tutorials exist here and on iClarified.Com.
    ok confused.
    my 3G is at whatever ios was available on june 26th 2011. base band too im assuming.

when i turn phone on its locked on activation screen. looking for an att sim card.

only lets me do emergency calls.

if i put t mobile sim in it says no good.

can this be unlocked and can i get it to go back to 3.1.2?

thanks for the help.
    im looking for guides now .
    i have redsn0w software and
    umbrella 4.1.6
    sn0wbreeze 1.6.1
    Last edited by robby65; 2011-07-08 at 02:50 AM.
    2011-07-08 02:07 AM
    I'll try to make this as simple as possible. Please try to understand.

If you want to use a non-Apple authorized carrier, you must never update with a stock firmware unless the jailbreaking team instructs you to do it.

When you use a stock firmware to update, Apple also updates the modem firmware / baseband to allow ONLY authorized carriers. You updated your firmware (and by default, the baseband too) with the June 26th, 2011 firmware update. Big mistake. The firmware can be downgraded BUT the modem firmware / baseband can NEVER be downgraded. You are stuck --- well almost, read on.......

Fortunately, our jailbreaking community has found a work-around. It's not pretty, nor 100% perfect, but it works. The work-around is to install the iPad (6.15.xx) modem firmware/baseband.

Go to iClarified.Com / Tutorials section and read-up on installing the iPad baseband on your iPhone. Once this is installed, Ultrasn0w will unlock for use on any carrier.

BTW: These and many other subjects have been discussed thousands of times on almost all iPhone forums. I suggest you use the search key and do a bit of reading.
    2011-07-08 03:00 AM
    oh i know i goofed.i bought the phone unlocked.

the phone was stuck on the apple logo screen and i tried to restore using i tunes.
    i didnt realize i had to press the SHIFT key in i tunes to get restore back to 3.1.2
    so now i have an updated 3G. i am reading on i clarified right now.

this will be good practice so when i get my brothers 3Gs i can unlock that too.

thanks for the help. i will post back if i have to
    never unlocked a phone before plenty of satellite cards but no phone.
    2011-07-08 04:03 AM
    ...this will be good practice so when i get my brothers 3Gs i can unlock that too...
    True. There is one additional 'issue' regarding the 3GS .... it's getting Apple to 'authorize' loading any firmware version except the latest and greatest. That is the purpose of saving SHSH blobs. The more you have the better

Once you acquire the 3GS, download Tiny Umbrella ( The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella ), connect the 3GS, and select Save SHSH. The 3GS will only be able to load firmware versions which have corresponding SHSH blobs.

Good luck.
    2011-07-08 04:13 AM
    well that didnt work i left it for a half hour waiting for reboot.
    2011-07-10 03:19 PM
    well that didnt work i left it for a half hour waiting for reboot.
    robby65 ... what exactly didn't work? Details please ... what/when/where/how
    2011-07-10 05:32 PM
    the phone never rebooted.

ok update
    i got a hold of a pin free AT&T sim
    put it in phone and opened itunes.
    i tunes said it would restore to a back up i did on 4 22 11. i dont think it did.

i can get in the phone with the att sim but it said it would take a while to activate.
    so i unplugged phone from pc. i can get to the home screen

now the version is at 4.2.1(8c148)
    carrier is att 9.0
    modem firmware is at 05.15.04
    network is unavailable and if i choose network from the phones settings menu it says "SIM not provisioned"

all my Cydia is gone as all my music,
    my pictures are still there and i can connect with wifi to the internet.
    So is there any hope?
    2011-07-11 12:15 AM
    Music, apps, settings, etc are all part of iTunes and can easily be restored. It is normal for anything installed by Cydia to be deleted during a restore. Just reinstall what you want
    2011-07-11 12:28 AM
    Last edited by robby65; 2011-07-11 at 12:37 AM. Reason: .whoops...
    2011-07-11 12:30 AM
    .... my 3G is at whatever ios was available on june 26th 2011. base band too im assuming....
    If this statement is true, your iPhone was already locked to AT&T.

Now I'm confused.
    2011-07-11 12:34 AM
    ok phone was at 3.1.2 as far as i can remember.then on june 26th i got into i tunes and the phone updated to whatever the ios for 6 26 11 is at.
    now i got an att sim and the phone gives this info under settings.

version is at 4.2.1(8c148)
    carrier is att 9.0
    modem firmware is at 05.15.04
    network is unavailable and if i choose network from the phones settings menu it says "SIM not provisioned"
    if i put a T Mobile sim in it says "invalid sim".
    is it jail breakable?
    Last edited by robby65; 2011-07-11 at 12:52 AM.
    2011-07-11 12:41 AM
    Currently, your phone is jailbreakable but NOT unlockable ... with this exception:

To unlock, the iPad baseband must be installed. You will likely loose GPS functionality.
    iClarified.Com has great tutorials to on this subject. Please search and read there.
    2011-07-11 12:55 AM
    It sounds like the more serious issue right now is "unlock" - even before worrying about "jailbreak".

Your phone is locked to AT&T. Can't use it on T-Mobile. It might not have been that way when you bought it,
    but updating the baseband (modem firmware) zapped you right back to the factory settings (locked to AT&T) again.
    You'll need an AT&T SIM to activate it, at present.

While there are some ways to unlock/JB (and hacktivate) from here- they are somewhat perilous.

How to unlock iphone 3g 4.2.1 baseband 05.15.04 with carrier sim card? - JBQA

There are several options for *jailbreaking* alone, if you're not planning to use your phone as a phone or if you're happy enough with AT&T, but if you want to unlock, activate and use it as a phone on T-Mobile (or anything else) you'll need to update your baseband to a hacked iPad version, and for all future updates and/or upgrades you'll have to be careful.
    2011-07-11 01:05 AM
    ok when i got the phone it already had blackra1n on it and was jail broken i assume.

and yes i want to use T mobile on it,

dont need the gps really. i have the att card.

should i let i tunes activate it with the att card then jailbreak it?

i will play with this later tonight.
    Last edited by robby65; 2011-07-11 at 05:14 PM.
    2011-07-11 03:30 PM
    ok when i got the phone it already had blackra1n on it and was jail broken i assume.

and yes i want to use T mobile on it,

dont need the gps really. i have the att card.

should i let i tunes activate it with the att card then jailbreak it?

i will play with this later tonight.
    Just use the AT&T sim to activate then jailbreak it. If you need to install iPad Baseband then use redsn0w to do that.
    Arthur "Goof"
    [email protected]

RIP Steve Jobs.
    2011-07-12 05:50 AM
    thanks for the help guys.
    when i put phone on itunes i dont get any buttons to activate phone.
    but the phone says it will take a while.

and when i run redsn0w i jut get the
    "this may take a while"

waiting to reboot screen

for 30 minutes and nothing happens.
    thanks for the help again
    2011-07-12 08:25 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
We have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions. Please check them out.