losing GPS is the price to pay
    you may try other option first but I think you need a different baseband install to make it work again.
    I spent hours with so many different way to restore, jailbreak but nothing work.
    2011-09-15 09:10 PM
    Good show. Try all other means before going the iPad BB route.

Let us know how it turns out
    2011-09-15 09:11 PM
    losing GPS is the price to pay
    you may try other option first but I think you need a different baseband install to make it work again.
    I spent hours with so many different way to restore, jailbreak but nothing work.
    I know. Spending countless hours on figuring out how to solve an iphone problem is a common way to solve things. You end up waiting moths for an iphone fix to come out and you realize that any progress from the hacker community won't come and you also end up in making a compromise. Especially now when the focus is on iphone 4 and 5 on iOS 5.

Still I wouldn't resort to flashing my baseband to the ipad version. If I do that, or if the baseband won't be repaired, probably I would go to a repair shop, have the baseband chip replaced from an out of order 3gs (or ipad) and that's it. I wouldn't want to sell an iPhone with no GPS.

Of course, you'll be first to know.
    Last edited by venom4u31; 2011-09-15 at 09:19 PM.
    2011-09-15 09:17 PM
    if your current basebase is not the latest one, you can try to update the software to 4.3.5 so the baseband will be updated also and it may work.
    2011-09-15 09:25 PM
    if your current basebase is not the latest one, you can try to update the software to 4.3.5 so the baseband will be updated also and it may work.
    That's what I said. My baseband is 5.14.02, a 4.1 characteristic baseband. An upgrade should be possible. But, with all of the noncompliance of those apple products, you never know.
    2011-09-15 10:03 PM

Hello again! I'm back.

Regrettably, fortune does not favor my phone's faith.

I tried to downgrade to 3.1.3, but that 3194 error kept coming back. I downgraded to 4.0 first and then tried to downgrade to 3.1.3 again from there. But there was another error that kept appearing: (the infamous) error 23. After a quick lookup (after the countless hours spent trying to repair my iphone's moods along the time, I know how to search for intel fast), I saw that even apple was reluctant to its own propaganda and came closer to black on white than I have ever seen.

In short, error 23 indicated a hardware problem. So I figured, I should upgrade to a newer baseband to see if that would change something. So I updated to a stock 4.2.1 firmware. That should give me at least a 5.16.04 baseband or something right?

Well I upgraded, then I downgraded to 4.1, hacktivated the phone, and the same story. It still crashes and f0recast does not show the bootloader or imei or other data except for the serial number and the carrier code.

This might mean that I would have to accept the fact that there is something physically wrong with the phone and try to repair it so I might get some cash out of it. Probably my next choice would be an android phone. Even though this model has access to the best app market there is, I won't have to deal anymore with the despotic (there would have been a better word for despotic but I think I might insult other potential viewers) relation between apple and its customers.

It has been a long and fun two year ride. Leave this topic for the ages. Maybe somebody might google it and see he shouldn't make any illusions.
    Last edited by venom4u31; 2011-09-16 at 06:54 PM.
    2011-09-16 06:48 PM
    Hard as we might try, software can not fix a hardware problem. It'll be ok for spare parts !
    2011-09-16 06:54 PM
    Hard as we might try, software can not fix a hardware problem. It'll be ok for spare parts !
    Spare parts for what? I don't have a phone shop. I'll go to a phone shop to fix it with some spare parts and then get rid of it and get a proper phone.
    2011-09-16 07:22 PM
    Spare parts for what? I don't have a phone shop. I'll go to a phone shop to fix it with some spare parts and then get rid of it and get a proper phone.
    Sorry to confused, that's what I was trying to say. Could sell it on eBay or craigslist
    2011-09-16 07:24 PM
    Mes, I think ipad baseband can fix this issue. I fixed two 3GS already with this hardware problem.
    Last edited by dannyt; 2011-09-16 at 08:01 PM.
    2011-09-16 07:56 PM
    ^It could. I would surely try before giving up No harm, no foul. But that's up to the OP
    2011-09-16 08:02 PM
    I had a long post response to the OP but it's gone now
    Tmobile users need unlock and I bet alot of unlocked iphone are running on ipad baseband. You can update to ipad baseband to fix the phone then unlock it and sell to a tmobile user.
    2011-09-16 08:30 PM
    I agree .. when all else fails, it never hurts to try.

Cheers
    2011-09-16 08:39 PM
    Mes, I think ipad baseband can fix this issue. I fixed two 3GS already with this hardware problem.
    The drawbacks caused by flashing it to an iPad baseband are really big. I would feel bad if I would have to sell an iPhone with so little capabilities because that would be really detrimental to its price. If opening up the iphone and replacing what's wrong in it isn't that damaging, it would work perfectly, I would even have it unlockable again, which is a great plus.

What does OP mean anyway?
    Last edited by venom4u31; 2011-09-16 at 09:06 PM.
    2011-09-16 09:01 PM
    OP = original poster
    The only negative to ipad baseband is no GPS (It will void the warranty but if your phone still under warranty you should bring it back to apple for a replacement).
    2011-09-16 10:36 PM
    OP = original poster
    The only negative to ipad baseband is no GPS (It will void the warranty but if your phone still under warranty you should bring it back to apple for a replacement).
    Two years and I expect a warranty. I don't know if they even build this kind of phones anymore (I seriously doubt that they do).

First the GPS absence is really a big thing. Second: no possibility to update to stock firmware, that's another serious drawback if any problems occur further down the road. For me that shouldn't be a problem, but for someone else... I can't hand the phone as good as new although its external condition is excellent.
    2011-09-16 10:48 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD