Anyone notice and/or know what these are? (see attached pic)

If you look at your iPhone you can see above the headset speaker at the top of the phone (where I colored in yellow), there are 2 lights or whatever.

One is round and the other is a longer rounded rectangular.

Anyone know what these are? I was thinking service lights (like most other cell phones) or maybe IR port?

Your thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Lights?  IR Port on iPhone?-iphone.jpg  
    2007-10-01 11:16 PM
    they are not lights, one is the light sensor to determine what brightness the backlight should be and the other is a proximity sensor to tell if the phone is next to your head or not when making a call
    Really?
    2007-10-01 11:19 PM
    ah cool. the things you learn. thanks
    2007-10-02 05:44 AM
    Strangely, the brightness sensor doesn't work on mine. It's always on full brightness, midday with the sun baking everything that's not shaded or midnight when you wonder what it was that just went "bump" next to you.

Yes, Settings>Brightness>Auto Brightness is turned on.
    2007-10-07 03:07 AM
    Strangely, the brightness sensor doesn't work on mine. It's always on full brightness, midday with the sun baking everything that's not shaded or midnight when you wonder what it was that just went "bump" next to you.

Yes, Settings>Brightness>Auto Brightness is turned on.
    put the brightness level halfway turn on auto bightness...then look a the brightness..dimmer huh! now hold it under a lamp/light 10 secs now look at it its brighter.
    2007-10-07 03:19 AM
    The brightness slider works just fine. But the auto brightness does not. I've tried every conceivable way to get it to change dimmer levels, and no luck so far.

It's not that big of a thing to me, I just thought I'd mention it's not working for me. That's all.
    2007-10-07 04:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD