User Tag List

Hello everyone!

My brother has been bugging me to buy him an iPhone since he found out that it can be unlocked for use here in the Philippines.

Now I was able to save up money to buy him (and me of course) one.

Though as a consumer, I am doing some research, and I have realized, the best place to get information about iPhones is from where iPhone users congragate. hehehe. Thankfully, I found MMF.

I have asked friends who currently own an iPhone. They have encountered some problems like:

1. WiFi is not working, a subscription of some sort must be made first,
    2. SMS is sometime faulty or delayed,
    3. No GPS maps for Manila (and other places) yet.

Can these problems be remedied already? If yes, can the good people of MMF assist us?

Also, I would like you guys to recommend good sellers of the iPhone (Trust worthy people who offers warranty, upgrades, application downloads, the works, at very reasonable prices).

I will be buying next week end, hope to hear from you guys soon.

Thanks and More Power to MMF!

Happy Easter too!!!
    2008-03-23 02:51 PM
    ok first off is MMi LOL sorry.
    The problems people have are few and rare as far as I see and its normally because they did something or downloaded something thats altered a setting and iphone has a major paddy. Normally a quick restore and problems are fixed.
    SMS well all sms are delayed at some point its an sms 1,000's of people send them every second, you expect them to be their within a few moments of sending?!?!?! and the current fault is they don't always show in line of recieved(OMG, agh!) CALM.
    GPS?? well if you call having google do a ping to your phone which is 10 miles out and has a 5 mile radius of where you could POSSIBLY be then ok its GPS but it CRUD!
    So apart from that iphones are brilliant and unless people sell them for minus profit best bet is to get them from a proper store.
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.
    2008-03-23 05:08 PM
    Hi there kababayan!

So to answer your question:
    1. WiFi should be working flawlessly if it's not defective. There's no 'subscription' needed using the WiFi, just go to BurgerKing - Glorietta/MOA (where WiFi is free) or Starbucks (you have to ask for the password to access their WiFi). There's a lot of free WiFi spots now here, you just have to know where. And if you have a DSL connection at your house, I suggest that you buy a Wireless Router so you can fully enjoy your iPhone. I swear.. you won't be able to keep your hands off of your iPhone!

2. About the SMS, I don't think it's faulty. I have some issues with it like, I can't forward messages but that's all solved by installing some apps. The real problem at the beginning was learning how to type efficiently but after constant use I can assure you that you will get used to using the iPhone's keyboard.

3. GPS: I don't really need this one so it doesn't bother me at all.

Those are your problems/concerns about iPhone but all of these 'problems' are not really problems because I *think* that iPhone is a very, very, very good phone! I've encountered many phones already from Nokia 3210 to the N-Series to Sony Ericson to Samsung and to Treo and nothing beats the iPhone. I thought Treo was the best phone but I was proven wrong when I got my iPhone.

I bought mine in Greenhills (last November), I know.. not a good place to buy one but I was desperate to have one and I have no idea where to buy one but there. I can't recommend a seller where you can buy one and I will certainly not recommend buying at Greenhills. I took a risk buying there and thankfully my unit is working fine.

Go to PhilMug.com and browse the threads in there, I know you can find someone who can sell you an iPhone. Just make sure to read some feedbacks from other members before you buy something to someone.

And.. if you're worrying about being a *virgin* with the iPhone, don't be. You can find almost anything you want to know about the iPhone on the internet. From upgrading to installing things and to customizing your phone. So don't be afraid!
    Last edited by x_krusty; 2008-03-26 at 02:54 AM.
    2008-03-26 02:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD