Hi, I'm new to this forum, but not so new to the iPhone. I'm interested in knowing if anyone here has made any headway at all with the resolution of the iPhone's VM Notification problem? I have read through a number of threads here and have discovered a number of suggestions regarding possible ways of resolving this problem, but based upon my own testing none of these work.

Just as an aside, I do have some knowledge regarding the problem, but since the internal workings of the iPhone are still very much a mystery to us all irrespective of the amount of time we have spent tinkering with it, I'm hoping that your vital contributions will permit me to better understanding a problem that some 1.2m iPhone users are experiencing and put it to rest for good!

So, having said all this I'd be really interested to hear about your experiences and what you've tried -- if anything -- to resolve this problem. Also, any ideas what the cause of the problem is?
    Last edited by Snowbird; 2007-10-10 at 02:10 AM.
    2007-10-09 07:08 PM
    Which problem are you referring to? The fact that it only tells that there IS a voicemail, and not how many?

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews
    2007-10-09 07:56 PM
    Which problem are you referring to? The fact that it only tells that there IS a voicemail, and not how many?
    Yes, it would be good to know what the "problem" is. If you are referring to receiving an SMS message when you have voicemail, this is a function of the wireless carrier, not the phone itself. As for me, I'm notified of waiting voicemail as soon as I wake my phone.
    2007-10-09 07:59 PM
    No, I'm not referring to VVM. What I'm talking about is what happens if you're using a MNO other than ATT and you receive a VM for which there is currently no way to receive notification.

Yes, it would be good to know what the "problem" is. If you are referring to receiving an SMS message when you have voicemail, this is a function of the wireless carrier, not the phone itself. As for me, I'm notified of waiting voicemail as soon as I wake my phone.
    That's really interesting. I see that I've come to the right place. Which operator are you using and where do these messages appear? Directly in the SMS.app or splashed across the screen as a Flash SMS should be?

Assuming that you are not using ATT, how did you manage to teach the iPhone to recover the flash SMS which is stored on the SIM (unlike normal SMS which are stored at first in the BB until such time as the fireware populates the SMS.db and then the SMS.app fires back a withdraw message to the BB (via the Fireware) to remove it from memory?

The CommCenter's preflight reprograms the BB when it starts and forces the value that controls this option (AT+CNMI) to 1,0,0,0,0. In order for Flash messages to be received, the second value, or <mt> needs to be 2. Tell me more about how you've done this. I'm intrigued. I know it's not by reflashing the BB since that approach doesn't work. Why would it? The iPhone already knows how to deal with these messages and always has known how to deal with these messages from the start. It's just that the BB has been taught not to act on them other then placing a porting to them on the SIM and then withdrawing this pointer once a new SMS (flash or otherwise) is received.
    Last edited by Snowbird; 2007-10-10 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-10-10 12:59 AM
    Well, being mature enough to ignore your condescending tone, I'll tell you. As I pointed out in my original note, no programming was necessary on my part. I am with Rogers which does not support VVM, and when I get voice mail, I receive a big reminder in large friendly letters telling who called and when. I'm also sent a TXT message with the same information, as its part of my voicemail package (that's through my carrier).

"if you're using a MNO other than ATT and you receive a VM for which there is currently no way to receive notification."

Totally wrong. Might be a good idea to actually know what you're talking about before trying to belittle someone else whose trying to be of assistance. But don't worry, I won't make that mistake with you again.
    2007-10-10 02:16 AM
    I am on T-Mo USA, and while I do not get an actual number displayed on the phone icon, I do get a blank indicator which shows me I have a voicemail. Obviously visual voicemail (or VVM as we have delightfully abbreviated it) will not currently work since it is not based off of an SMS system but an IMAP setup on AT&T's network's side.

At the moment no one has actually modified the existing Apple-built apps on the iPhone, so we would need a nifty hack to be able to handle the vm notification and interpret it correctly. Should be possible to have it correctly notify since its a standard SMS.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews
    2007-10-10 04:05 AM
    I'm on the Rogers network and when my iPhone was at 1.0.2 I got all the voicemail notifications, then I upgraded to the new 1.1.1 and I no longer get any voicemail notifications.

I say in the new 1.1.1 Apple is just ignoring the standard voicemail notifications because they probaly don't use them for there special visual voicemail service on the ATT network.
    2007-10-10 04:35 AM
    That is pretty ignorant of Apple considering this effects more than just VM notification. what about text's from MSN messenger? or any other program or website that utilizes these sorts of SMS messages.
    2007-10-10 04:47 PM
    I am on T-mobile and I keep getting a little dot over the phone icon and when I go into the phone the red voice mail notifcation is on but When I play my voice mail there is no messages. IS there a way to fix this so I only get the vm notifcation when I actually have one?
    2007-10-18 02:40 PM
    I am on T-mobile and I keep getting a little dot over the phone icon and when I go into the phone the red voice mail notifcation is on but When I play my voice mail there is no messages. IS there a way to fix this so I only get the vm notifcation when I actually have one?
    When you're finished listening to VM, your carrier is "suppose" to send that signal to your phone to let it know the notification is no longer necessary. Have you tried entering VM by actually clicking on the VM button? Some carriers won't send the signal unless that's done.
    2007-10-18 03:17 PM
    I have tried both holding down the 1 key to get into vm and I have also pressed the vm button w/ the red dot. after I check the dot goes away but a soon as I reboot the phone the dot is back.
    2007-10-22 04:28 PM
    I've noticed something weird with VM indication lately on my 1.0.2 and Rogers Canada, this all started this past friday.

When i 1st got phone and modded the voicemail # for the button I would get the red ballon for missed called with +1 and red ballon on the voicemail and 2 text messages 1 saying missed call and 2nd saiying new voicemail.

Now for some reason here's what is happening-
    * If using phone and call in , and i press decline call, I get no indication of missed call or red ballon for if voicemail left, but phone makes a sound indication a text message received but nothing appears on screen
    * If i put the phone to sleep top button, if missed call and voicemail get indications of both via text message plus missed call ballon at +1 and voicemail indication red ballon.

Seeing as many people are reporting after 1.1.1 update indications are not working for some and others it is, but coudl it be due to provider actually changing messaging methods??? I think not as if phone in sleep works, but if on doesn't/

As well with my scenario if phone autolocks, i do not get text messages either or indications.......

This may be a bug related to software ( 3rd party apps ) interfereing with the messeging system or provider changing methods, but if works for some would lean towards possibility old app's, new apps, or combination of apps.
    2007-10-23 02:05 AM
    I've noticed something weird with VM indication lately on my 1.0.2 and Rogers Canada, this all started this past friday.

When i 1st got phone and modded the voicemail # for the button I would get the red ballon for missed called with +1 and red ballon on the voicemail and 2 text messages 1 saying missed call and 2nd saiying new voicemail.
    Rogers has a calling feature called "Who Called". For any missed call, it will send you a text message, and if the person left a voicemail, it will send you an additional text message with that notification as well. Maybe this was just recently added to your account? Might want to check with them.

If your phone is on when you get the call, you're not missing it, you're ignoring it so no message is sent. But you'll still get the voicemail text message.
    Last edited by Eurisko; 2007-10-23 at 02:30 AM.
    2007-10-23 02:22 AM
    Rogers has a calling feature called "Who Called". For any missed call, it will send you a text message, and if the person left a voicemail, it will send you an additional text message with that notification as well. Maybe this was just recently added to your account? Might want to check with them.

If your phone is on when you get the call, you're not missing it, you're ignoring it so no message is sent. But you'll still get the voicemail text message.
    Yes I am familiar with this new service ( who called ). But this service as you state is for when phone not on or in none service area's that will report only missed calls and voice messages that caller has gotten as far as you mailbox and hangs up, if they just hang up after 1-2 rings will not send you text as missed message ( this is according to FAQ's on rogers website )

I understand about if phone on and not declining call will not be a missed call, but still why some people get text for voicemessage and or red ballon.

Seeing as this issue of indication/text messages varies I am trying to help in diagnosing it. As seeing people same provider same settings and works for some while others not on 1.1.1 and also now seems to be occuring on 1.0.2, it may indead be a installed app that is conflicting these messagings or ballons from working.

Im in the process of revigin my phone and unlock again at 1.0.2 and to see if my text returns and ballons, if so, means service sending good messages to phone but means i will need to load 1 by 1 apps and see what maybe conflicting or combination. why you ask i thinking this was, was all and working until last friday but then again maybe rogers is changing signals to make $ off updates via text.
    2007-10-23 03:11 AM
    You need to upgrade to a new 64k sim card. I had the same issue with mine and I upgraded my sim today and no longer have that issue. It makes sense because AT&T only uses 64k sims.
    2007-10-23 04:12 AM
    Im in the process of revigin my phone and unlock again at 1.0.2 and to see if my text returns and ballons,
    Let me know how it goes. Don't want to upgrade if its just going to cause more problems.
    2007-10-23 12:39 PM
    Hi Guys:

I am with Fido, but I have never had VM notification message (I don't mean the ATT VVM - just the regulr and normal VM text Notfication) from day one since I got the phone. Does anyon have any idea? Does anyone using Fido have the same problem.

My phgone is ver 1.0.2 unlocked with anySim 102.

Thanks.

Paul
    Last edited by paulclo; 2007-10-29 at 05:55 AM.
    2007-10-29 04:44 AM
    I don' get any voicemail notifications either. Been on 1.1.1 from day one using it unlocked. Is there a solution to this yet? Cheers!
    2007-11-11 06:51 PM
    yes, I have this problem too.
    When I miss a call, and somebody then decides to leave a voicemail, my carrier (O2 IRL) sends me a SMS to tell me I have new voicemail. iPhone doesn't accept these SMS messages, meaning that I don't know when to check my voicemail. I'm running 1.1.1 unlocked.
    I've heard that this issue is fixed on 1.1.2. I think it's something to do with the number the carriers use when sending SMS messages to their customers. Think it confuses the phone if the number from a SMS is not the standard phone number format.
    I heard that 1.1.2 fixes this, but that phonebook/number matching is not the best - i.e. matching an incoming call with your address book...which is strange....
    I'm sure when 1.1.2 is hacked and understood in better fashon, that we'll be able to resolve this issue, or at least download a patch via installer....
    2007-11-23 07:21 PM
    I'm with Rogers in Toronto and I have the same problem with the lack of VM notification. I just found this:

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/2007/12...r-rogers-fido/

but have not tried it yet.
    2007-12-04 06:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD