So I set up an apache web server on my PC that is linked to the directory containing all my MP3's, and the audio plays fine on any other computer within my wifi network, but if i try to play them on my iPhone from the same wifi network, I get the 'error playing movie' message. The http page still loads with my directory list, and clicking a file does bring up the media player, but i just get that error message after it tries to load. My iPhone is unlocked, and all the media i've synced to it seem to play fine.

I just can't seem to figure out why the mp3s wont play. Anyone have any idea what i can do to fix this?

It seems like this issue with safari has something to do with the media player being unable to remember and display the login when an mp3 is played, resulting in apache denying it access to the file. When i turn off the password on the server my iPhone plays the file perfectly, so the password is definitely the culprit.

Has anyone found a way around this issue? I'd really prefer to have a password for my server..
    Last edited by jtjurick; 2007-10-19 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-10-19 07:58 AM
    Have you tried hard-coding the login and pass in the hyperlink to the MP3? Or are you just bringing up the Apache directory listing?

I think part of the issue may be that Sarafi is trying to load the entire MP3 before playing rather than just "stream" the file.

You may need to set up a Quicktime streaming server to feed the streams to Safari. I have a Linux server with TONS of music and videos on it. I'm trying to figure out how to do this myself.
    cash removed my sig of a donation link.

http://smokebubbles.wordpress.com
    "Brewin' and 'quein' since last Tuesday."
    2007-10-19 04:23 PM
    im having the same problem here, however im not using any password and my music directory is set for full permissions (777)

has anyone found out why this happens?
    2008-12-12 04:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD