adding "custom ringtones to iphone" , download Apple iTunes 7.4.0.28 (i am sure about other versions of iTunes, as i am using 7.4.0.28), you might need to uninstall new/old version of iTunes from the system before installing 7.4.0.28, once intalled, i use to do these steps to add custom ringtones to my iphone.....

1- right click on any song and select "convert Selection to AAC"
    2- once iTune finish converting right click on the newly converted song and select "Show in Windows Explorer"
    3- you will see file with extension "<filename>.m4a"
    4- rename file extension to "<filename>.m4r"
    5- double click on the filename(will add to iTunes), close the Windows Explorer
    6- click on iPhone>Rintones
    7- you will see new files name under ringtones list, done

it will work on all type of iPhone activated/hactivated/jailbroken, but if you upgrade your iTunes to newer version it will wipe out all of your "custom ringtones from iphone"...
    Last edited by icyhammer; 2007-11-28 at 09:54 PM.
    2007-11-27 02:44 AM
    Thanks for this. I had been looking at different ways to add custom ringtones, and this is the easiest and safest method I found. I first tried your method using itunes 7.4.3.1, but it didn't work, so i installed 7.4.0.28...worked like I champ!! I'd suggest everyone do it this way.

Thank you for the help.
    2007-11-27 08:08 PM
    How do we get older versions of itunes? And does and older version of itunes work well with the newest version of iphone?
    2008-01-02 03:43 AM
    It works the same with the newest version of iTunes.
    2008-01-02 04:16 AM
    it gave me an error message that it cannot be added to my iphone. is this because im on a mac? the above directions seem to be for a pc

is it beacuse i havent updated my MeCCa? im running on 1.1.1
    Last edited by phoundmyfone; 2008-01-02 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-01-02 06:31 AM
    This is a good starting point for old apps (hence the name LOL) http://www.oldapps.com
    More directly for MAC http://www.oldapps.com/download_iTunes_mac.php and for windows http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.htm

I was having some of the same issues... I'm running iTunes 7.6 (MAC) and it would not add it into the ringtones folder. After reading all the posts i could find on the topic we figured out that after converting it to acc we had to remove them both from iTunes all together. Basically i just dragged both files to my desktop and deleted the original files shown in iTunes. I moved the mp3 to a backup folder (not necessary, i just wanted to have a back up of the mp3) and then modded the file extension of the acc (m4a) file to m4r. Once you double click on it, iTunes imports it into the ringtone folder and you delete the file on the desktop. I'm sure there are other ways of doing it since there is always 3 ways to accomplish anything, but just my two cents.
    2008-02-07 05:22 AM
    Thanks that works great! I'm also on a MAC. I just delete them from my iTunes then double click on them and they add to my ring tones.

I had to restart my iPhone and re sync to get them to appear.
    Last edited by Magick; 2008-02-17 at 01:36 AM. Reason: ring tones wheren't showing up at first.
    2008-02-17 01:06 AM
    I followed these steps and the ringtone gets sync'd to my phone, but does not play when selected, even after a restart. The 30 second ringtone plays in itunes, transfers to the phone fine, but does not play on the phone. What am I missing?
    2008-02-29 07:13 AM
    works on my 1.1.2 or 1.1.3 OTB fully unlock and im using 7.5 and i know 7.6 works as well..

1. Open iTunes

2. Create a folder called iPhone Ringtones

3. Find song that you want to create to a Ringtone

4. Right click song and select GET INFO

5. Go to the OPTIONS tab

6. You will see two boxes one for START and one for STOP check both of those boxes.

7. In START box put where you would want the Ringtone to begin example- 0:01 or 1:25

8. In STOP box put the number that would make the Ringtone 29secs long total example- Start 0:25 End 0:54

9. Once you’ve done that and both boxes are checked click OK

10. Now right click song and select Convert to AAC

11. Once that’s done Drag the Converted AAC which should be 29secs long to your iPhone Ringtone folder.

12. Now delete the 29sec AAC song out of iTunes. Don’t forget to take the original song and right click go to GET INFO then OPTIONS and uncheck those boxes then ok.

13. Now in your iPhone Ringtone folder it should say example- TNT.m4a if it doesn’t click on Tools and go to Folder options then click on the View Tab. Scroll down and uncheck the box that has HIDE EXTENSIONS FOR KNOWN FILE TYPES then click apply. Now it should show the .m4a

14. Right click your audio file and click RENAME change the TNT.m4a to TNT.m4r if a pop up shouws up asking if you want to change but it might not play just click yes. Now it should have a white piece of paper with a CD and music note on it and say ringtone in little letters.

15. Double click the Ringtone and it should automatically show up in iTunes under your ringtones. Now just SYNC and enjoy
    Last edited by iPhone_Killa; 2008-03-04 at 04:53 PM.
    iPhone 8gb- OTB 1.1.3 fully unlocked and everything working great plus mods
    2008-03-04 04:51 PM
    iPhone_Killa... U ROCK!!!!! I had been screwing with torrent files and serial numbers for iphone Ringtonemaker. None of that worked, so i came here. I read what you said, and it worked PERFECTLEY. Simple Too :-) Thanks Man

This method works great with one exception... You can't fade out. The result is an abrupt halt to a good song... oh well, still better than paying $2 for it!
    Last edited by guitarist9189; 2008-03-08 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-03-08 09:08 AM
    Works like Charm. Thank you iPhone_Killa
    2008-03-08 09:43 PM
    awsome awsome awsome worked perfect absolutely recommend
    2008-03-23 11:41 PM
    all u have to do is convert to acc change it to an m4r and then ssh it to where the stock ringtones are and you are set... works on all in versions itunes and is easy

the folder is /Library/Ringtones

if u need further instructions pm me
    Last edited by cscho0415; 2008-03-24 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    always hit the thanks button

no signature spam/links... Thanks
    2008-03-24 12:05 AM
    Hi,
    I've done the whole process to make ringtones in iTunes, and it works great, but everytime I add more than one of my created ringtones, it adds multiple versions of a single ringtone only to my iPhone, even though it shows different ringtones in iTunes. For example, if I add 10 different ringtones to my iphone in itunes, after I sync, there are 10 entries on my iphone, but all of them correspond to only one of the ringtones. Anyone know how to fix this?
    2008-03-24 07:08 AM
    Hi,
    I've done the whole process to make ringtones in iTunes, and it works great, but everytime I add more than one of my created ringtones, it adds multiple versions of a single ringtone only to my iPhone, even though it shows different ringtones in iTunes. For example, if I add 10 different ringtones to my iphone in itunes, after I sync, there are 10 entries on my iphone, but all of them correspond to only one of the ringtones. Anyone know how to fix this?
    2008-03-24 07:10 AM
    Hi,
    I was going to post the same problem. Anyone?
    2008-03-24 02:17 PM
    Hey, I did the whole process of converting the music type and all that.i get the song under my ringtones but after i SYNC it ...i cant find it on my phone!!! anyone know how to find it ? or am i doing something wrong? i have version 1.1.1 could this be a probleem?
    thanx and PLeeez!! help!!

Hey, I did the whole process of converting the music type and all that.i get the song under my ringtones but after i SYNC it ...i cant find it on my phone!!! anyone know how to find it ? or am i doing something wrong? i have version 1.1.1 could this be a probleem?
    thanxxx and pleeezz hellpp!!!

thanxxx and Hellllppp!!1
    Last edited by carlito999; 2008-03-28 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-03-28 03:09 AM
    I have a problem syncing my ringtones too.I bought a new pc with vista basic.I installed itunes 7.4.1.when i try to sync my ringtones on it it says itunes had an error as the music cannot be played on iphone.I have tried renaming,changed file extension.it plays on my itunes but just won't sync with my phone.can anyone help?I'm on firmware 1.1.4.I used to sync ringtones on my old xp the same way.Now no luck.Is there anything i'm doing wrong?
    Last edited by bono writer; 2008-11-20 at 08:26 PM.
    2008-11-20 08:08 PM
    thanks guys it works great for me also
    2008-11-21 11:57 AM
    works on my 1.1.2 or 1.1.3 OTB fully unlock and im using 7.5 and i know 7.6 works as well..

1. Open iTunes

2. Create a folder called iPhone Ringtones

3. Find song that you want to create to a Ringtone

4. Right click song and select GET INFO

5. Go to the OPTIONS tab

6. You will see two boxes one for START and one for STOP check both of those boxes.

7. In START box put where you would want the Ringtone to begin example- 0:01 or 1:25

8. In STOP box put the number that would make the Ringtone 29secs long total example- Start 0:25 End 0:54

9. Once you’ve done that and both boxes are checked click OK

10. Now right click song and select Convert to AAC

11. Once that’s done Drag the Converted AAC which should be 29secs long to your iPhone Ringtone folder.

12. Now delete the 29sec AAC song out of iTunes. Don’t forget to take the original song and right click go to GET INFO then OPTIONS and uncheck those boxes then ok.

13. Now in your iPhone Ringtone folder it should say example- TNT.m4a if it doesn’t click on Tools and go to Folder options then click on the View Tab. Scroll down and uncheck the box that has HIDE EXTENSIONS FOR KNOWN FILE TYPES then click apply. Now it should show the .m4a

14. Right click your audio file and click RENAME change the TNT.m4a to TNT.m4r if a pop up shouws up asking if you want to change but it might not play just click yes. Now it should have a white piece of paper with a CD and music note on it and say ringtone in little letters.

15. Double click the Ringtone and it should automatically show up in iTunes under your ringtones. Now just SYNC and enjoy
    thx

That worked perfect. Im creating all kinds of ringtones.
    2009-08-13 12:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD