first one!!! yes
    want installer tho
    Cydia is the best app installer out there. the last version on the previous version was a little buggy for a while but since then it looks like all the bugs have been worked out. The only problem i have is that sometimes the app selection is a little thin. But that seems to be changing. Now that its the only installer app on the 1.2 (2.0) firmware i think Cydia will be catching up really soon.
    2008-07-22 03:54 AM
    Curious about something.. in the past when they did firmware updates..often apps didnt work an had to be re-done. How would they do that now with the Appstore.. If they make changes that would cause programs to no longer work in the new firmware then how would they have ALL THOSE APPS be re-done. I assume this is a thing of the past. Info????
    Before appstore the only "official" apps were those provided by Apple. The developers that build new firmware were (more or less) the same devs who wrote the applications. So, it wasn't much of a pain for them to make the necessary changes and recompile. Now with Appstore in place Apple will no longer break backward compatibility (or at least try not to). Each new firmware release will now run appstore apps compiled against the previous version. The reason for the long delay in releasing the SDK as well as the 5 month beta period was to finalize and lockdown the firmware API.

Cydia is the best app installer out there. the last version on the previous version was a little buggy for a while but since then it looks like all the bugs have been worked out. The only problem i have is that sometimes the app selection is a little thin. But that seems to be changing. Now that its the only installer app on the 1.2 (2.0) firmware i think Cydia will be catching up really soon.
    Please read my previous post. An app is available to Cydia or Installer ONLY IF the developer chooses so. When a developer make an app using the original toolchain, the developer then chooses where he wants it hosted. So I repeat, application availability on Cydia or Installer is at the discretion of the developer... nothing more. As I've stated, I will be targeting my apps to app store since it is now available to everyone whether jailbroken or not.
    Last edited by imode; 2008-07-22 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-07-22 04:05 AM
    but I'm a well known member at iPod touch Fans...

Every one of you complaining about Cydia's UI and other things about it, consider the following facts...
    Had you read the thread, you'd know that those "facts" had already been "considered".
    2008-07-22 04:19 AM
    ...and dismissed as lame.
    2008-07-22 04:29 AM
    meh, if you grew up in debian you'll love cyadia. As a unix sys admin I have to say it is far more powerful and stable. Nullriver, thankyou but unless you pull it together you bsd subsystem fails next to cyadia's.
    2008-07-22 05:26 AM
    question... can there be an easy to find (front page) 3G section on Cydia... or maybe I don't see the designation; whether the app on 3G or 2G. Don't want DL something that doesn't work
    2008-07-22 06:41 AM
    spoonforknife - agreed.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews
    2008-07-22 07:10 AM
    Is there any point at the moment to pwnage my iphone 3g? or let the bugs work them selfs out, the main reason i wanted the iphone pwnaged is to get summeboard but seems it not out yet. whats the other advantages?
    2008-07-22 08:23 AM
    question... can there be an easy to find (front page) 3G section on Cydia... or maybe I don't see the designation; whether the app on 3G or 2G. Don't want DL something that doesn't work
    there should not be any difference as it is the same FW. There is no real difference between 2G and 3G. The apps should always work on either.
    2008-07-22 08:33 AM
    Quite amused by the flames circulating around and as well as a lack of knowledge pretending to pass as truth. Thought I'll clear a few things up.

1. Occasionally Apple releases a firmware for the iPhone/iPod that is different enough that the apps will break. This happened for 1.1.3 as well as 2.0. When a new firmware is released they expect everyone to upgrade. Apple has never guaranteed backward compatibility with applications. However, this has changed with the release of the app store.

2. Because of #1 applications have to be modified and rebuilt from source. This is often a non-trivial task. For apps that are distributed via Installer or Cydia this can be a difficult undertaking since the compiler tools have to be built from scratch each time and there is not easy way to debug the application once it's build.

3. Because of #2 it can take weeks to move an app to the new firmware. It's basically up to the developer of the app when he/she wishes to port it.

4. Installer and Cydia are nothing more than a type of file server. Apps are not "ported" to Cydia or Installer. They are built for the appropriate firmware and parked somewhere, then Installer/Cydia are told how to point to them. I don't need either Cydia or Installer to install a pre-SDK built app to my iPhone. I can simply ftp or scp it.

5. Final point, as a dev I'm targeting my apps to the App Store. It's easier to build and support on them on 2.0 using the SDK. I can still distribute them for free (if I want) and they'll have 100x more exposure than Installer or Cydia. I appreciate and have a fondness for both Installer and Cydia as app servers (and a loathing for gcc-llvc toolchain) but it's time to move on...
    The only downside with publishing apps to the App Store is following Apples strict guidelines e.g. like not being able to modify the UI in any way.
    2008-07-22 08:40 AM
    anyone know if instinctiv will be ported?
    2008-07-22 11:10 AM
    I installed Cydia on my 1.1.4 iPhone. I thought it looked ok, not really much different from Installer.app so I don't really understand the flaming that it has caused.

Anyhoo, Here's my wish list for 2.0:

GPsPhone
    BossTool
    VNC
    PhoneZap
    Australian Carrier logo and phone number format support (A must for me!!!)
    the last ones already on there because Australia is a supported country now mate!
    "Its better to be a pirate than join the navy"Steve Jobs
    2008-07-22 01:03 PM
    first one!!! Yes
    want installer tho
    why does it matter if you are first?
    If anything was usefull a thanks would be great!
    2008-07-22 01:25 PM
    I'm discovering Cydia and it's O.K., just different from installer.app

just can't wait for more apps on 2.0
    2008-07-22 02:18 PM
    The only downside with publishing apps to the App Store is following Apples strict guidelines e.g. like not being able to modify the UI in any way.
    Ever since the 2.0 upgrade became available for the 1st gen iPhones (or the 3G model released) I have debated upgrading. The app store has "most" of the apps I like and use in one form or another, but I came to realize that the thing I want most for my iPhone is a unique look, and that is the one thing that i will never get on the app store. As long as Apple forbids any UI tweaking, there will always be a place for jailbreak even for those on official carriers.
    2008-07-22 02:59 PM
    I have no preference but cydia freezes my phone while updating apps and I have to restart... so as a simple rule of thumb, Installer kicks ***, cydia is just too buggy in 2.0
    2008-07-22 03:56 PM
    I have no preference but cydia freezes my phone while updating apps and I have to restart... so as a simple rule of thumb, Installer kicks ***, cydia is just too buggy in 2.0
    So far I have no problems wit cydia on my 1st gen iPhone that I jailbroke on my windows xp. Just hope that more apps are on the way.
    2008-07-22 04:07 PM
    Is there anyway of taking Cydia of the iPhone without making a new custom firmware or restoring the iPhone?

I've on windows so can't make a custom 2.0FW, I downloaded it from a torrent site and had Cydia on it.

I looked in the manage section and its got loads of stuff installed which I'm pretty sure I didn't install them but nothing on homescreen. Maybe they're unix tools for the iPhone.

Will Installer 4.0 be available through Cydia then?

I hardly used installer but missing it now.
    2008-07-22 04:57 PM
    cydia may be buggy in 2.0, but wasn't installer buggy in 1.1 when it was released? installer never really became too stable till around FW 1.1.3 i think. Round about the time Cydia was released. Not to mention that Installer hasn't even been ported to 2.0 yet. It's almost like the difference between Mac vs PC

Mac, new and funky, new and buggy
    PC, tried and true, old and buggy

That whole argument when apple machines started to make a comeback
    2008-07-22 05:05 PM
    Cydia is gay.
    2008-07-22 05:19 PM
208 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD