So I was going through the Customize app when I noticed that some of my themes had been stolen and claimed by others. Having spent hours and hours on my work and having it claimed by someone else really pisses me off. Is there someone I can get a hold of to fix that problem. I have proof that it is my work, I have threads of it as a WiP and that I've uploaded them to the downloads section.
    2008-06-28 01:17 PM
    i had my one of my unlock screens stolen and i did not get any credit for it on customize but i dont think there is any way of protecting this w/o getting a patent for it =D

i feel ur pain...i want the credit!!!! =P
    2008-06-28 04:41 PM
    name and shame thats what i say. not fair on you guys
    2008-06-28 04:57 PM
    that happens to me a lot....

who care...
    for Example:
    I am the one who invented fingerprint...
    And I know that and that counts....
    2008-06-28 05:25 PM
    I had this happen with one of my dialers. I posted a comment on the uploaders page to the effect that he took my design, complete with link to my upload on MMi with the Feb date.

This said, i had merely did a different color scheme of someone else's work which i fully gave credit to the original artist. So this guy comes along as says it was 'his' best work yet. In my case, I had uploaded my file to MMi in Feb. and this guy uploaded to Customize in April or May.

I posted on the Customize forum and one of the moderators asked that I email Spicy Chicken and he got back to me asking what I wanted ot do. My feeling is that a lot of folks upload stuff so they can then upload it to their phones. My feeling is that as ong as a person says its not their work and preferably mention whose it was, is OK with me.
    2008-06-28 07:37 PM
    It might help if you contact Spicy Chicken (the creator of Customize) and he might be able to remove the themes.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you out
    2008-06-28 09:02 PM
    Is Spicy Chicken on these forums?
    2008-06-28 10:40 PM
    He's on our IRC nearly every day.
    2008-06-29 12:17 AM
    Do you think they will remove it... it might be reuploaded tomorrow...
    so why would they bother to even remove that...
    they would have to remove every second skin...
    2008-06-29 01:14 AM
    Post in the Customize 2 forums.
    http://www.customizeapp.com/forum/
    2008-06-29 02:55 AM
    stop crying seriously. dont get them removed cause then no one will enjoy them and thats a lose lose situation. if it really bother you that much you need your e-props then contact spicycicken and have him change the author on it, dont delete the theme cause then the community loses

honestly i dont even look at the autor when downloading from custimize cause its a community pool so 90% of the work there doesnt belong to people anyway, even if they grabbed the icons off deviantart and made them iphone friendly doesnt mean its theres. at the end of the day i dont care. your not gonna get an award or anything so why let it bother you THAT much?? i appreciate every artists effort though
    Last edited by newone757; 2008-06-29 at 02:59 AM.
    2008-06-29 02:56 AM
    stop crying seriously. dont get them removed cause then no one will enjoy them and thats a lose lose situation. if it really bother you that much you need your e-props then contact spicycicken and have him change the author on it, dont delete the theme cause then the community loses

honestly i dont even look at the autor when downloading from custimize cause its a community pool so 90% of the work there doesnt belong to people anyway, even if they grabbed the icons off deviantart and made them iphone friendly doesnt mean its theres. at the end of the day i dont care. your not gonna get an award or anything so why let it bother you THAT much?? i appreciate every artists effort though
    Well first off, I never said I wanted it removed, my only intentions were to change the author. And why would this be a big deal to me? As an artist you would hate having your work being stolen and claimed by someone else, you put hrs and hrs of your day for the benefit of other people and only to have it be claimed by someone else.

Of course you don't care because you haven't done anything for the iPhone community. Let's say you were the one who figured out how to unlock the iPhone, and you told several people in your group how to do it, and then one person decided to release it out in the public and now everybody praising that person, but that person did not even bother to mention your name, would you care? This is just an example, I don't want to be praised, I just want credit where credit is due.
    2008-06-29 07:28 AM
    I specifically told Spicy that he didn't need to remove the artwork, as long as it was noted that the posted was not the creator. I dont even care if my name is on it or not, I just would like to see someone say something like "not my creation" as opposed to "one of my best creations".

Plagiarism is plagiarism, even if unintended. Intellectual property is still property. Ignorance is one thing but when its blatant its unforgivable.

This said, most people uploading to Customize are very good about giving credit to original artists or noting that the work is not "theirs".
    2008-06-29 08:28 PM
    Well first off, I never said I wanted it removed, my only intentions were to change the author. And why would this be a big deal to me? As an artist you would hate having your work being stolen and claimed by someone else, you put hrs and hrs of your day for the benefit of other people and only to have it be claimed by someone else.

Of course you don't care because you haven't done anything for the iPhone community. Let's say you were the one who figured out how to unlock the iPhone, and you told several people in your group how to do it, and then one person decided to release it out in the public and now everybody praising that person, but that person did not even bother to mention your name, would you care? This is just an example, I don't want to be praised, I just want credit where credit is due.
    well if you didnt say you wanted it removed then obviously i wasnt talking to you....

and no i wouldnt care, cause if i did something like unlocking the iphone if i did it for personal gain i would have never released it, period. i would think that people would knwo by now that once you release something to the INTERNET its out of your hands. i havent done anything for iphone cuz i just got a ipod last week but ive done skinning for desktops for a while and i dont even put my name on stuff because frankly i dont care. honestly how many people do you think download your themes off customize and actually look at the creators name??? they just look at the name and preview and decide to download or not.

even my fav themes like textiphone or Damino i dont know the authors of cause even if they made the icons i know it wasnt even their idea but inspired by icon sets like the kobhens and other minimal text themes before it. we are a community so unless you set up your own distribution method then your work will be stolen/shared. thats just the way it is. Theres a theming site i frequent that has iphone themes you cant find ANYWHERE else because you HAVE to be a member to get them. their work doesnt get stolen but almost nobody gets to see it either. its a catch 22

sorry for the long read, i wont be chiming in here anymore cause nothing you or I say in here will change things. so ask spicychicken i guess, ranting here wont change it
    Last edited by newone757; 2008-06-29 at 10:39 PM.
    2008-06-29 10:32 PM
    I tihnk the instances of this happening are much fewer now; it seems that every single theme has a note saying something to the tone of "I just uploaded this." ...Now if only more people read how to properly upload them so there aren't so many nonfunctional themes on there.
    2008-07-01 04:35 AM
    Unfortunately newone is right. If you have been doing graphic design for some time then you will know by now that it is one of the most shady businesses out there. People are constantly stealing each others ideas/work and calling them there own. Don't get me wrong, I hate it when credit is not given to the rightful creators, but unfortunately it is one of the downsides of graphic design.

Look at it this way, whenever there is something good or successful there will always be imitations or knockoffs (just look how many knockoff iphones there are). At least you know that you made a good theme.
    2008-07-01 09:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD