Ok, I'm going to try to make this as easy as possible.

I found an easy surefire way to convert and install any mp3 as a ringtone on your iPhone using Itunes and Quicktime Pro using a Macintosh computer in 6 easy steps.

****WORK ON WINDOWS as well****

*As far as i know there is no limit on the length of ringtones.

If you dont have Quicktime Pro you can get it from Limewire file sharing app.
    you can get it here http://www.limewire.com

***I am not responsible for any copyright laws you may break if you download illegal software***

What you Need
    *You need to have Itunes 7.5 installed on your machine and 1.1.2 on your iPhone.
    (not sure if this works with older versions of iTunes or iPhone software)

*You need to have Quicktime Pro installed and the most recent update 7.3.1. (Quicktime Pro can be found with many file sharing applications such as Limewire, Torrents and other file sharing utilities... But I'm pretty sure you can use any Media editing tool that will save the Mp3 file as a Mp4. I prefer Quicktime Pro and this guide is based on using QT Pro)

Guide

Step 1)Open Mp3 With Quicktime
    Open the mp3 that you would like to convert with Quicktime Pro. Once you have the file open in QT it should open in a small player

Step 2)Select Snippet
    Once you have chosen a snippet or section of the Mp3 you would like to use as your ringtone move the small editing brackets to that start position and the end position. (seen in the picture below.)

Step 3)Trim
    Once you have selected the portion to be used for your ringtone select edit in the file menu and select "Trim to Selection" and the small editing brackets will disappear.

Test play the file to make sure you have selected the desired section.
    (If you screw up click "Edit" in the file menu and select "Undo Trim to Selection" and it will revert to the previous file)

Step 4)Export
    Once you have the selection ready goto the file menu and select "Export"
    You will see this menu

You want to chose a file name (make sure you put .Mp4 at the end of it.) and make sure its set to convert "Movie to MPEG-4" Once you have done that just save the file to your desktop. you should end up with this.

Step 5)File Name Change
    Now you have Edited your ringtone and Exported it, Its almost ready to be used as a ringtone. All you have left to do is change the iPhone Theme.Mp4 to iPhone Theme.M4r. Once you change the file name you will get a message window like this asking for you verify the change you want to select the .M4r File ending.

(I used "iPhone Theme.Mp4" you can name your converted file to anything you like. it MUST have the .M4r at the end in order for it to be used as a ringtone.)
    this is what you should have

Step 6) Drag To iTunes
    Now all you have left to do is drag & drop your new ringtone into iTunes and it will show up in your ringtone folder, sync your iPhone and you have the new Ringtone on your iPhone.

I hope this is helpful if you have any questions feel free to ask.
    Last edited by oantixo; 2007-12-22 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Update
    2007-12-22 04:02 PM
    This is a great tutorial except for one problem; you said "Make Ringtones for Free", and last time I checked Quicktime Pro costs money. Most people don't have pro, because there are free programs that can replace it.

The renaming method DOES work on windows, that's how I've been doing it.

On windows I use a program called Audacity to edit and export the mp3 as a wav, then I convert it to AAC in iTunes and rename m4a to m4r. Works like a charm everytime!
    2007-12-22 05:28 PM
    As I stated at the beginning you can get QT Pro for free if you use Limewire or Torrents to get QT Pro... Its worth while to have the pro version. But I edit the headline
    2007-12-22 05:34 PM
    Can you do this with itunes 7.5 and iphone 1.1.1 ??
    2007-12-22 05:38 PM
    As I stated at the beginning you can get QT Pro for free if you use Limewire or Torrents to get QT Pro... Its worth while to have the pro version. But I edit the headline
    True, but that is very illegal (it's stealing and copyright infringement) and although most people do it and get away with it it's not a very good idea to post it on a public site. Like I said you made a great tutorial, which I'm sure will be very helpful to any mac users that don't know how to make ringtones. I'm just pointing out a few details I saw, and I'm trying to make this site the best it can be. I did, however, give you +1 thanks for making up such a good tutorial.

I know you can use iDemocracy to do it with 1.1.1 on Windows, however iDemocracy won't work on Mac. You should have some type of program that allows you to send files to your iPhone, and if you do then you can follow this tutorial in making the ringtone, but you will have to send the ringtone to your iPhone manually.

Personally, I would suggest upgrading to 1.1.2. It's not very hard, there are many guides here that can walk you through it, and it's worth the time.
    Last edited by DirtyDan; 2007-12-22 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-12-22 05:42 PM
    I'm not sure i believe it will work because itunes is the what reads the file and puts it in the ringtone folder so as long as itunes is 7.5 it should work.
    2007-12-22 05:46 PM
    I'm not sure i believe it will work because itunes is the what reads the file and puts it in the ringtone folder so as long as itunes is 7.5 it should work.
    To my understanding, and from what I've read in other threads, 1.1.1 needs the ringtone to be manually transferred. I'm not sure why, it might have something to do with iTunes wanting you to update your iPhone. Either way I think it's best to just update (and re-jailbreak).
    2007-12-22 05:48 PM
    use itoner
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/33088
    2007-12-22 05:48 PM

Thanks, great post! Looks like some good software.

+1
    2007-12-22 05:59 PM
    Thanks for the input dan. I'm not promoting piracy, I have a paid for copy of QT Pro, so I just figured i'd point people who didnt in the right direction.
    2007-12-22 06:07 PM
    Thanks for the input dan. I'm not promoting piracy, I have a paid for copy of QT Pro, so I just figured i'd point people who didnt in the right direction.
    I know you're not, it's just that sometimes our posts don't come off to people as we intend. Whether you're a pirate or not is your own choice, as goes for anyone else. We just don't want the site getting any negativity from relations with such actions. I appreciate your input too, and again I thank you for a good tutorial.

By the way I found something that may be useful to anyone without QT Pro that doesn't want to buy it:

Here is a Macintosh version of Audacity, which is 100% free, and also one of the best programs I've ever used for working with audio. Very easy and efficient!

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/mac
    2007-12-22 06:16 PM
    This is a great tutorial except for one problem; you said "Make Ringtones for Free", and last time I checked Quicktime Pro costs money. Most people don't have pro, because there are free programs that can replace it.

The renaming method DOES work on windows, that's how I've been doing it.

On windows I use a program called Audacity to edit and export the mp3 as a wav, then I convert it to AAC in iTunes and rename m4a to m4r. Works like a charm everytime!

the only options it is giving me its Aiff, mp3, and ogg. Can you help me? Thank you very much
    2007-12-25 07:06 PM
    What Os are you using?
    2007-12-26 04:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD