Hi,

Guys I have just purchased a brand new Iphone from the 02 store for 200
    I have a few questions to ask.

1. I am currently an 02 customer and have been for years I am currently on simplicity 15 and my current handset is a k800i. I would like to use this sim in my new iphone but I am very confused as to what to do as in forums there are many methods i.e revirginising jalibreaking unlocking.

what is the best method for me?

Many Thanks

H
    2008-01-07 08:03 PM
    just follow the guide for activating and jailbreaking 1.1.2, as its a o2 sim u will be using and a uk phone it will work straight away, but make sure u follow instructions and upgrade back too 1.1.2 otherwise u won't be able t make calls... Also how the he'll u get it for 200 quid???
    2008-01-07 08:16 PM
    RustyNuts,

Thanks for your reply can you confirm if I jailbreak that I won't be tie myself down to an 18 month contract and will be able to stay on my sim 15 contract.

also if I sucessfully jailbreak my new iphone can I upgrade to the 7.50 bolt for internet access?

in answer to your question the reason the iphone cost me 200 my Cuz works for 02 store and got me staff discount thats why bought the phone bargain at 200.

many thanks

H
    2008-01-07 08:25 PM
    a big difference between O2 (non iPhone SIMs) and the AT&T equivs!
    Last edited by jakecigar; 2008-01-07 at 08:55 PM.
    http://jpassoc.com/x -- with free itunes under the puppy!
    If I help you out, please press THANKS!

3g QuickPWN'ed with 2.1
    2008-01-07 08:30 PM
    u jammy git lol

Yes mate you will defo not start a new contract I bought mine from o2 shop on boxing day and I'm using my pay n go sim, nawt for the silly 18 month contract nonesence

The data plan is just a bolt on so you it will work just fine.

Since when can you use a non iPhone SIM on a 112 oob iPhone?

Is there a difference between O2 (non iPhone SIMs) and the AT&T equivs?

The only solution I know is hyper/stealth type SIMs, or going legit and signing up.
    Uk iPhone are different too you USA ones, no unlocking or hardware needed as long as your using a 02 sim card, trust me I know I'm using my 1.1.2 OTB on a pay n go sim and all I did was jailbreaked and upgraded back up too 1.1.2 all functions working fine and dandy...
    Last edited by Rustynuts; 2008-01-07 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-01-07 08:39 PM
    Rusty,

thanks for your help on this one I will follow the jailbreaking 1.1.2 just hope it all works tonight still undecided wether to go with bolt on for the internet access.

Am I right that jailbreaking also unlocks the phone to install apps and emulators for games etc.

Regards

H
    2008-01-07 08:43 PM
    yes mate once you jailbreak the phone is unlocked too install everything from games too app and ringtones..

Let us know how you get on mate, oh and have fun LOL
    2008-01-07 08:47 PM
    Wow! that's great you lucky brits!
    http://jpassoc.com/x -- with free itunes under the puppy!
    If I help you out, please press THANKS!

3g QuickPWN'ed with 2.1
    2008-01-07 08:53 PM
    yes mate once you jailbreak the phone is unlocked too install everything from games too app and ringtones..

Let us know how you get on mate, oh and have fun LOL
    Rusty,

Success I Finally Jailbroke my iphone lastnight and boy am I happy it's a superb piece of kit I am a bit confused as how to add ringtones to a jailbroken 1.1.2 iphone any help would be grateful.

Thanks

H
    2008-01-08 12:21 PM
    Rusty,

Success I Finally Jailbroke my iphone lastnight and boy am I happy it's a superb piece of kit I am a bit confused as how to add ringtones to a jailbroken 1.1.2 iphone any help would be grateful.

Thanks

H
    I'm on Simplicity and have the 7.50 upgrade. Works perfectly.

I tried adding ringtones but gave up, search on here or on hackint0sh.org for a guide.
    To live, you have to lie
    2008-01-08 01:50 PM
    glad too hear you did it mate

adding ringtones is easy..

this is how i do it..

in itunes find the song you want too use as a ringtone (in your music section so if you shorten a song down you will need to add it). the right click on it and convert too acc.. one done drag the converted file too your desktop or folder. then open up winSCP or which ever priogram you use too view your iphones files and navigate too "library/ringtones" drap your converted file into the ringtones folder and change the file name from m4a too m4r. job done. restart your iphone and the new ringtone will be there

have fun.
    2008-01-08 09:54 PM
    rusty,

This reply is directly from my iPhone via wifi well happy best 200 I have spent no less I will try the ringtones tomorrow gunna go 4 the o2 Internet bolt on do u know if this covers me abroad i.e. I am off to Prague next month so if I surf off edge will it cost me more or is it just 7.50 flat rate even if I am abroad.

Thx

H
    2008-01-08 11:23 PM
    sorry mate that one i cant answer, i dont have edge theres no need for it for me, i have wireless all around, home work on way too work ( Cloud ). one day i might need it lol. best bet is too either read about on line or give them a call, from my experiances its pointless going in too store to ask because they know feck all. lol
    2008-01-09 06:48 AM
    Rusty,

thanks for your help on the ringtones I have successfully transferred over my ringtone however I would like to transfer over a particular tone for my receiving SMS. can this be done? is the process similar? and can you help me with this?

Many Thanks

H
    2008-01-10 02:30 PM
    yes mate its just as easy I'm at work at min I'll give u a step by step when I get in be about 7 pm ish

changing sms tones..

1.we need a caf file for the tone...
    USE ibrickr ---->this will convert ur mp3/wav musicfile to .caf and store a copy in your ibricker folder on your computer.

2. in ibrickr---->click sounds/sms alert (received) then add mp3/wav file u want to convert to caf

3. then go to ur ibrickr folder(in ur windows explorer) and u will see ur converted .caf file

Open your ibricker folder and rename the file to one of the following:
    sms-received1.caf
    sms-received2.caf
    sms-received3.caf
    sms-received4.caf
    sms-received4.caf
    sms-received6.caf

4.then log on to winscp and place the file into:
    System/Library/Audio/UISounds (you can make a back up of the original sms-received file if you like, i changed the ending of the file from .caf too .original so its backed up onto the iphone )

reboot the iphone and your smstone will be there, now if you cant live with the standard iphone names for the tones and you want it to be renames this is what you do..

1. Download the Sounds.strings file from /Applications/Preferences.app/English.lproj on the iPhone to you computer make a back up just in case.
    2. Run that file through the converter at http://140.124.181.188/~khchung/cgi-bin/plutil.cgi
    3. This will allow you to open it with a text editor (use Wordpad on Windows not Notepad so it displays nicely)
    4. Over-type the label that corresponds to the sound file that you replaced with your preferred label, e.g. change Electronic to Cosmic
    5. Save the file and upload it back to the iPhone (best make a backup of the original file first)
    6. Reboot and you're done!

hope this lot helps you out and all this info was taken from Theone77 and fastdump, iv just put it all into a nice order as the info was scattered across different posts.

have fun.

changing sms tones..

1.we need a caf file for the tone...
    USE ibrickr ---->this will convert ur mp3/wav musicfile to .caf and store a copy in your ibricker folder on your computer.

2. in ibrickr---->click sounds/sms alert (received) then add mp3/wav file u want to convert to caf

3. then go to ur ibrickr folder(in ur windows explorer) and u will see ur converted .caf file

Open your ibricker folder and rename the file to one of the following:
    sms-received1.caf
    sms-received2.caf
    sms-received3.caf
    sms-received4.caf
    sms-received4.caf
    sms-received6.caf

4.then log on to winscp and place the file into:
    System/Library/Audio/UISounds (you can make a back up of the original sms-received file if you like, i changed the ending of the file from .caf too .original so its backed up onto the iphone )

reboot the iphone and your smstone will be there, now if you cant live with the standard iphone names for the tones and you want it to be renames this is what you do..

1. Download the Sounds.strings file from /Applications/Preferences.app/English.lproj on the iPhone to you computer make a back up just in case.
    2. Run that file through the converter at http://140.124.181.188/~khchung/cgi-bin/plutil.cgi
    3. This will allow you to open it with a text editor (use Wordpad on Windows not Notepad so it displays nicely)
    4. Over-type the label that corresponds to the sound file that you replaced with your preferred label, e.g. change Electronic to Cosmic
    5. Save the file and upload it back to the iPhone (best make a backup of the original file first)
    6. Reboot and you're done!

hope this lot helps you out and all this info was taken from Theone77 and fastdump, iv just put it all into a nice order as the info was scattered across different posts.

have fun.
    Last edited by Rustynuts; 2008-01-10 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-01-10 08:27 PM
    Does this method work on firmware 1.1.3 and 1.1.4?
    2008-03-04 09:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD