From what i can see, the pwanage tool can only jailbreak/unlock the 1st gen iphone on Apple OS X.

I have windows vista, dont want a 3g phone (dont want O2 in the UK to add another 18 months to my contract), and want to buy some apps in the apps store...how can i get on 2.0 on my windows machine?
    2008-07-21 04:31 PM
    I have heard of a method (which some other people have confirmed, though I haven't done it myself) which takes these steps:

1. Download a custom firmware (2.0) from the internet (read up to make sure it is proper)
    2. Use the old WinPwn system to Pwn your iPhone/iPod (has to be on 1.1.4)
    3. Put your iPhone/iPod into DFU mode and in iTunes, when it says you must restore your phone/iPod, shift+click the restore button and look up the custom firmware you've downloaded (may take a while to restore it to 2.0)
    4. There you go!

But be very sure that you back up your device just in case something goes catastrophically wrong (though that is unlikely as you can just repeat the steps until it works)
    2008-07-21 05:38 PM
    thanks..thats helpful....i hate restoring..i was hoping i could just UPGRADe and then jailbreak it without loosing all apps and settings....its such a pain to restore.....thanks anyway..i will try this on weekend..it usuallygoes wrong and it takes me at least two attempts to do some manual restore...lol....dont we just love loosing sleep over upgrades?
    2008-07-21 09:50 PM
    Well, remember, even if you jailbreak 2.0, the only app you can have is Cydia since nothing else works, so far (except some things such as SSH). But if it's want people want to do, there's nothing stopping them.
    2008-07-21 11:20 PM
    You will lose all your existing apps regardless of if you just update to 2.0 now or if you update and then jailbreak now. Those apps you have don't work on 2.0 yet. Your best bet is likely just to wait a while longer for the Windows version of Pwnage to be released. By that time, more developers will have updated their 3rd party applications to work with 2.0.
    2008-07-22 05:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD