Hi,

I had Cydia working for last several days but after last update (2 nights ago), whenever I start Cydia, it crashes and I'm back to the home screen.

I remember it happening when I was on 1.1.4 and had to change the permission over SSH. So, I tried changing the permission of Cydia.app directory (and its contents) to 755 and then later to 775 with no gain. I also tried changing the ownership to root:wheel, mobile:mobile and then back to admin:admin without much change in behavior.

Is there a way I can install Cydia manually after wiping it out from /Applications ? Thanks for any comments.
    2008-07-30 03:16 AM
    I have EXACTLY the same question! :P
    2008-07-30 07:31 AM
    i had the same problem. I manage to reinstall Cydia by using mobile terminal / putty from ur pc.. ssh to iphone n run apt-get remove cydia
    after tht just run apt-get install cydia again

it makes my other application's not working, but i think is just the issue of permissions that has to be corrected.

feel free to try.
    2008-07-30 12:14 PM
    This is what I get -
    iPhone:~ root# apt-get remove Cydia
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    E: Couldn't find package Cydia
    So I had to manually remove Cydia.app directory and then try to install. Then I got this -
    iPhone:~ root# apt-get install Cydia
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    E: Couldn't find package Cydia
    I then downloaded cydia_1.0.2493-23_iphoneos-arm.deb and installed it manually. I did copy everything to the right locations except that I didn't delete the plist from /var/lib/cydia as I didn't want to lose the list of apps I already have installed.

Rebooted, and still the same problem...
    2008-07-30 04:50 PM
    apt-get remove cydia is with small "c", not capital "C". i manage to remove cydia, nd install it again, and my plist / manage apps which were installed are still kept intact.
    2008-07-30 05:01 PM
    Ah, that did it. Thanks bearbear1982
    2008-07-30 06:42 PM
    Thanks a lot! it worked for me too!
    2008-07-30 06:54 PM
    man it has to be a easier way ill just wait for the installer
    AJ

Music is what feelings sound like....
    2008-08-02 11:01 PM
    bearbear---

Could you please explain how you installed Cydia manually??.... where do you place all those files/folders?? please advise on 'how to'. thanks

I am getting "undetermined error' when i load Cydia...
    2008-08-19 12:47 AM
    I can't even use SSH to go into my iPhone manually and fix the cydia problem. I have downloaded Unix Subsystems and OpenSSH from Installer, yet it does nothing. I wish I could get into my iPhone manually so I can fix the Cydia problem.
    2008-08-19 01:31 AM
    Hey guys im having the same problem woth cydia and i try to reinstall it with putty and i got this:

"package cydia is not available, but is refered to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source
    E: Package cydia has no installation candidate"

what can i do ???

Than ks
    2008-08-20 07:05 PM
    @Lproxy5:

use iphonebrowser (1.7.0.)... if you need it let me know... it has very limited capabilities (nothing like WinSCP, but my WiFi is broken so i cant use WinSCP)....

how were you planning on fixing Cydia manually ??! can you advise? I would like to do that too!!
    2008-08-20 09:00 PM
    @neox:

I'll try iphonebrowser and see if I can get into my iPhone, and thanks for the info.

I was going to try and get into my iphone and uninstall cydia and download it from a different source and reinstall it. But let me see if this iphonebrowser works.

Edit:

Okay I was able to open iphonebrowser and it recognized my iphone but, I can't open any folders, I just get errors. I don't know why I am having this problem. I have tried everything to get into my iphone manually. Could it be my wifi network? maybe i should try on someone elses network?
    Last edited by Lprox5; 2008-08-21 at 05:43 AM.
    2008-08-21 05:10 AM
    it's that permissions i think.. iphonebrowser doesnt allow to change the permissions (at least that's what i gathered).... that's the show stopper.... WinSCP was awesome, but w/o WiFi, we are SOL......

You should try iPhone Tunnel Suite... it didnt work for me, but it might work for u..!

waiting on something new....searched and searched and nothing yet....
    2008-08-23 12:45 AM
    Yeah dude, I have searched and searched also. I feel ya. Hopefully with the new pwnagetool coming out for 2.0.2 firmware, maybe it will fix some things, like cydia working and being able to connect to my iphone manually.
    2008-08-23 07:01 AM
    i had the same problem. I manage to reinstall Cydia by using mobile terminal / putty from ur pc.. ssh to iphone n run apt-get remove cydia
    after tht just run apt-get install cydia again

it makes my other application's not working, but i think is just the issue of permissions that has to be corrected.

feel free to try.
    this method worked perfectly to fix cydia crashing and constantly back to springboard
    was having a fit tying to figure out how to fix it

thanks mate
    2008-08-29 10:31 AM
    Cydia works for me now after updating to firmware 2.0.2 and pwning my phone again with the updated software. And I have been able to get into my iphone now with iphone tunnel suite. So the update helped a lot in fixing cydia.
    2008-08-29 05:38 PM
    good news Lproxy5!!... i was about to send you a message to use Iphone Tunnel Suite. I used it yesterday and it worked for me!.. I needed OpenSSH/SSL installed; that was the key.

But Cydia is still broke.. same issue as yours... dont want to update to 2.0.2 yet...
    I think i installed BSD Subsytem after installing Cydia; and i read it will corrupt some files Cydia uses....

Need to find a fix!!
    2008-08-29 09:26 PM
    Why don't you want to update to 2.0.2 neox? I think it will help your cydia problem.
    2008-08-30 08:07 AM
    I have bricked my phone soo much in the last 3weeks trying to fine tune it; in that process, i lost wifi, cydia, youtube.(my phone is limping on Edge now!).. I am very tempted to get 2.0.2, but i am waiting on a bug-free QuickPwn (i think 2.5 should be the ticket!), just waiting on all bugs/issues/fixes to get flushed out.

I made few mistakes and dont want to repeat them
    I sure hope my wifi/cydia/youtube will get fixed....time will tell..
    otherwise, new phone on the horizon...

what are the detailed steps did you take to get ur cydia working again?
    why isnt ur wifi working? or is it?
    Last edited by neox; 2008-09-01 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-09-01 01:04 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD