I can't figure out what I am doing wrong as I follow instructions perfectly.

I wanted to give 2.0.1 firmware a try, so I am on a 1.1.4 firmware. I downloaded winpwn 2.0.4 and made sure my iTunes had been upgraded to the newest version.

I download the new 2.0.1 firmware for my iPod Touch. Then I do the whole process of creating a custom ipsw file with winpwn which was really easy. Then when it came time to putting your iPod Touch into DFU mode, that was the problem.

After the freshly installed 1.1.4 cause I did a full clean restore, I did what everyone else was doing. Hold the power + home button for a total of ten seconds and then after that, release power button and keep holding home until iTunes recognizes it. Well what happens is, iTunes does recognize what I am doing, but my screen goes white and then comes to the apple +iTunes logo like its in recovery mode.

Every single tutorial I have read said that your screen is suppose to be black and not see that, which I have done something wrong.
    I have tried this multiple times and it keeps doing the samething. What am I doing wrong? Any pointers? I really would like to experience the new firmware but can't cause of something I am doing wrong.
    2008-08-11 11:27 PM
    Well, when I did the upgrade with the firmware, it went white and then showed the icon, but it worked fine (used a firmware from Pwnage and not the WinPwn I used, that caused problems). It may be you're holding down the home button too long. If you hold the home button for too long, that puts it in recovery mode, not DFU. At the moment your computer detects the device, release the home button (should be at the first, "Boo doop!") and that should keep it in recovery mode.
    2008-08-12 01:20 AM
    Well, when I did the upgrade with the firmware, it went white and then showed the icon, but it worked fine (used a firmware from Pwnage and not the WinPwn I used, that caused problems). It may be you're holding down the home button too long. If you hold the home button for too long, that puts it in recovery mode, not DFU. At the moment your computer detects the device, release the home button (should be at the first, "Boo doop!") and that should keep it in recovery mode.
    ----
    Hmmm well when I heard it do that, I released it but maybe like the at the second bee boop or whatever sound. Anyway, I'll just awhile. I'll get it eventually.
    2008-08-12 02:20 AM
    after you get it, you need to be on 2.0.1, then restore to jailbroken, not skipping to jailbroken
    2008-08-13 03:29 PM
    after you get it, you need to be on 2.0.1, then restore to jailbroken, not skipping to jailbroken
    ----
    That made no sense.
    2008-08-13 04:23 PM
    DFU for 1.1.4 and 2.0 (or 2.0.1) are a tad different. See below. If you can't get it to work for 1.1.4 then factory restore up to 2.0.1 and THEN put in DFU and then restore to the custom firmware.
    2008-08-13 04:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD