View Poll Results: Cydia .... or Installer

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Long live Cydia!

119 86.86%
  • I want Installer back......

18 13.14%
    When the 2.0 jailbreak first came out, and my homescreen had a "Cydia" icon, no Installer icon, it was weird, and like most of you, i longed to have Installer back.

However, i would like to say thankyou to saurik for Cydia. It was weird to start with, but i can honestly say, when the 2.0.2 jailbreak comes out i will not be installing Installer.

Installer clutters up the homescreen with 1 extra icon that you dont need, and your space with one extra app that doesn't even do what cydia does.

I love cydias smooth, simple feel, exactly what Installer used to be. Installer is now far to "pretty" and over designed.

I know its only beta, but im ready to say bye. Are you?
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker
    2008-08-20 12:26 AM
    i liked installer very much pre-2.0 days and was never in a rush to try out cydia buuuut since i have been forced to use cydia i have been rather impressed by it as well. i havent tried installer 4 beta but am looking forward to using it againl. cydia is very well done and has been extrememly reliable/stable for me.
    2008-08-20 12:38 AM
    Before 2.0 I had gotten to where I was mostly using Cydia except for apps that were only hosted on Installer. Those had gotten to be very few. I really don't miss Installer. I do miss some apps that havent been ported yet, but I got to give the developers credit. They have done a fantastic job of keeping us all jailbroken and for the most part unlocked. Thes guys and gals have day jobs and well only have so much time. I am amazed at what gets done. If Apple stopped throwing out new firmware, maybe the developers might catch their breath and port some more apps, but I am grateful for what I do have. WHat is coming out is so much better that the old apps, I can only imagine what is to come.
    2008-08-20 01:19 AM
    I LOVE CYDIA! EF Installer

Thanks
    2008-08-20 03:22 AM
    As far as I'm concerned Rusian Rip-Dev can hang his gluvs up and call it a day as far as I'm concerned. It would take a year of Sundays for installer 4 to get anywhere neer as good as Cydia. I think Jay has done a briliant job and continous at a relentless pace to update Cydia as well as Winterboard.

A big thanks from the UK, keep up the brilliant work.

I to wont be installing Installer wnen I upgrade to FW2.0,2.

IphoneCrazy
    /Marc
    2008-08-20 04:36 AM
    Cydia is the best because I've never used Installer

I don't plan on installing it
    2008-08-20 04:44 AM
    Cydia and Winterboard I use daily. Even donated for.

Thank you Saurik!
    2008-08-20 04:50 AM
    Cydia continues to hang after installs/removals 50% of the time, requiring a reboot. I wouldn't assign it a saintly value just yet.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.
    2008-08-20 04:55 AM
    i liked installer very much pre-2.0 days and was never in a rush to try out cydia buuuut since i have been forced to use cydia i have been rather impressed by it as well. i havent tried installer 4 beta but am looking forward to using it againl. cydia is very well done and has been extrememly reliable/stable for me.
    i feel the same way. at first i dreaded using cydia, now its my fav thing on my phone.

----------------
    Now playing: Arcangel - Siente El Mambo
    via FoxyTunes
    2008-08-20 05:17 AM
    it doesnt hang for me, have you contacted jay with a list of installed apps. Im sure he'd be interested in resolving any problems with his apps.

installer hangs and crashes all the time, I know its beta but come on its absalute garbage.

IphoneCrazy
    2008-08-20 05:24 AM
    i tried the beta installer once, and wasnt a fan. its a wrap. im sticking to cydia. now all we need is categories to be released.

----------------
    Now playing: The Game - Bulletproof Diaries (feat. Raekwon)
    2008-08-20 06:02 AM
    i know installer is still in beta, but i love cydia's overall design. with installer, i have to constantly check for updates manually, cydia's more like the app store to me. way better design IMHO.
    2008-08-20 09:46 AM
    Seeing as I don't have an iPhone anymore and I'm abstaining from the purchase of the iPhone 3G, I'm missing out: What is new in Installer 4, apart from a new skin? Does it have proper search yet? Does it actually show what is in the download queue now?
    2008-08-20 07:55 PM
    @dale1v:
    just a new skin...no search.. very few useless Apps/Tweaks....and not many sources.. i have noticed a slow progress though! I wish the bigboss and ispazio gets all their apps ported..

Four tabs: Feature (Nothing there yet), Categories, Sources (3 or 4), and Tasks (downloading queue).. Everytime I launch Installer, it has to download/refresh all sources (slow process).. I cant use Cydia because of some undetermined error, but Cydia is much more superior. I am stuck with Installer, hope the porting gets done soon...

bottom line: you are not missing much...
    2008-08-20 08:53 PM
    bottom line: you are not missing much...
    Until I saw this thread I forgot that Installer 4 beta was even installed by the latest pwnage tool. Poof has it hidden

I don't miss Installer. Although I'd love to have the disk space back that it takes up....but I don't want to go back and re-run the pwnage tool, remove the option for it to install the beta, and then re-setup my iPhone.

PWN'd 2.0.1 is working fine for me, as well as what's available via Cydia. I've not had Cydia lock up or anything like a few have reported.
    2008-08-20 09:01 PM
    Cydia has locked up on me once or twice, but not much.

I dont like the way when you scroll through the apps in Installer, the icons have to be soughtta downloaded, i.e, Installer freezes until the "Task" of downloading the icon has finished. But its not the icon of the app, its the icon of the source, but sometimes app? Its weird

It makes using Installer over GPRS/Edge and even 3G and Wi-Fi a slow, painful experience.

Just if Installer was based around the original Installer, simple, quick and easy. The old Installer, i could download a 2MB file over GPRS and leave it running. It would take me the time it took to download it before to simply find it in Installer now with the "Tasks".

It's only beta for now i understand, but i really welcome Cydia with open arms and can't wait for the 2.0.2 JB so i can get rid of Installer for good.

Suck it up, Sucker
    2008-08-20 10:09 PM
    @reeko,

Check out Quickpwn for the 2.0.2 JB !!
    2008-08-20 10:48 PM
    @reeko,

Check out Quickpwn for the 2.0.2 JB !!
    Mac user

but i have windows downstairs.........

checking now...

Suck it up, Sucker
    2008-08-20 10:54 PM
    have a serious problem with cydia.....

anytime i try to download an app it stalls on "building dependency tree" screen and after a few minutes it just goes back to iphone home screen!

now when i select that app to download again it says
    "Downloading 0.0kb
    Resuming at 0.0kb
    Disk Using 764.0kb"

can anyone please help me!!!!!!!!!
    2008-08-20 11:13 PM
    can't quickpwn without updating baseband, which = no 3g unlock, ill wait this one out ... again

Suck it up, Sucker
    2008-08-20 11:40 PM
42 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD