User Tag List

So far on these threads there has never been a descent guide to jb your itouch. Well I thought with some time on my hands i'll make one. HERE WE GO!

THIS GUIDE IS STRICTLY FOR THE IPOD TOUCH. MY HELP IS RESTRICTED TO THE IPOD TOUCH BECAUSE THAT'S THE DEVICE I KNOW MOST. I WILL TRY THOUGH TO HELP EVERYONE WITH DIFFICULTIES. IPOD TOUCH GUIDE ONLY

THINGS YOU NEED TO GET STARTED
    1. An Itouch (duh).
    2. Latest Winpwn is WinPwn 2.0.0.4 RapidShare: Easy Filehosting.
    3. Itunes 7.7.
    4. Firmware iPod1,1_2.0.1_5B108_Restore, if you need help getting it pm me for link, but I will assume you all have it.

LET US BEGIN!
    1. Install winpwn, have firmware ready on your desktop.
    -Note: if you have a previous copy of winpwn installed, uninstall it before installing the new one.

2. Connect your Itouch to your PC and load up winpwn.

3.Winpwn will not allow you to do anything without selecting a firmware image. So, click “Browse .ipsw” button and select your firmware image from your desktop. Note: winpwn will determine if you have an iPod, an iPhone 3g, or an iPhone 2g based off the firmware image you select and downloaded. So make sure you got the correct image. 2g and 3g iPhones have different firmwares!

4.NOW WE BUILD! Click “IPSW Builder” and you will be presented with some screens. Start on the Applications tab. On this screen you must select “Install Cydia”. If you need youtube patched then select also “YouTube activation fix”.

5.Click the custom images tab. Here you can select custom boot images if you care to. This is optional.(But really nice to have)

6. Click the custom payload tab. Here you can select some payloads in .tar format. At this time there are a couple built in payloads so there is nothing to do here. If you make your own payloads for packages you can select them here. So we are skipping this screen.

7.Partition resizer. Here is the partition resizer screen. With the current version for Winpwn, move this to 550 mb. The extra packages will fill the root partition before Cydia gets to run and move things about. Do not make it any larger though because Cydia moves your apps around properly to the larger partition so if you resize this larger here you are just losing space.

8. Build the custom IPSW. Click “Build .ipsw” at the bottom of the window. Note: save your file to some place sensible so you can find it. The default location is going to be hard to find. Try your documents or your desktop. Winpwn will crank away and finally you will see the success box.

9. Back to the main screen, select iPwner. This will ask you to select your custom firmware we just built in step 8. So select that file.You will get a success message and you are done with winpwn!

10. Get your phone into DFU mode. Guide here:iClarified - iPhone - How to Put an iPhone Into DFU Mode

11. While in DFU mode, load iTunes 7.7, and restore using shift-restore. Load the custom firmware image we made. And after about 10-15 minutes you are done.

NOTES!
    If you are getting errors in iTunes less than 20 you are not in DFU mode.

If you are getting 160x errors (1600, 1601, 1602, 1604) you may have used the wrong firmware image for your device.

MOST STEPS TAKEN FROM BIGBOSS

WINPWN WORKS FOR ME THAT WHAT I USE, QUICKPWN I FEEL IS UNRELIABLE AND SHAKEY

EVERYONE ENJOY!!!!!!!

p.s please pm if something needs fixing or can be made clearer.
    Last edited by saint431; 2008-08-27 at 10:02 PM. Reason: warning update.
    Click the thanks button when I help!
    THANK YOU!
    2008-08-27 07:00 PM
    I tried to use winpwn before to get to 1.1.4, but it kept restarting at "Startup script completed" message. any ideas? I did install a lot of apps
    2008-08-27 07:36 PM
    I tried to use winpwn before to get to 1.1.4, but it kept restarting at "Startup script completed" message. any ideas? I did install a lot of apps
    If I were you I would just restore to factory setup and everything should be clear. But I did find a forum with your similiar problem here Startup Script completed [Archive] - iPod touch Fans forum

i hope one of those comments help you.
    THANK YOU!
    2008-08-27 07:47 PM
    Help please!
    I am trying to upgrade from 1.1.4 to 2.0.1 firmware using winpwn 2.0.0.4. When I DFU my iphone at the end, I didn't use the custom firmware I had built by mistake. Now my iphone is "bricked" I guess, I went to a factory state. I have an arrow with a cable pointing to itunes when I start up my iphone. I can't do anything to it.
    Suggestion and help please!
    2008-08-27 09:44 PM
    Help please!
    I am trying to upgrade from 1.1.4 to 2.0.1 firmware using winpwn 2.0.0.4. When I DFU my iphone at the end, I didn't use the custom firmware I had built by mistake. Now my iphone is "bricked" I guess, I went to a factory state. I have an arrow with a cable pointing to itunes when I start up my iphone. I can't do anything to it.
    Suggestion and help please!
    help was sent through pm
    THANK YOU!
    2008-08-27 09:55 PM
    If I were you I would just restore to factory setup and everything should be clear. But I did find a forum with your similiar problem here Startup Script completed [Archive] - iPod touch Fans forum

i hope one of those comments help you.
    I did try restoring then trying it again, but it failed. Now I managed to unlock it with Ziphone 3.0, and I think i found the cause of the problem. When building the custom firmware, I selected the "Merriam-Webster Dictionary" app, and now I found out that it also needs "WeDict" to run, but I didnt download that. Do you think that might've been the problem? I'm eagerly waiting for winpwn 2.5 now, I'll just download Installer 4.0 if its available by then or Cydia. The rest of the apps I'll download from the phone
    2008-08-28 11:46 PM
    I did try restoring then trying it again, but it failed. Now I managed to unlock it with Ziphone 3.0, and I think i found the cause of the problem. When building the custom firmware, I selected the "Merriam-Webster Dictionary" app, and now I found out that it also needs "WeDict" to run, but I didnt download that. Do you think that might've been the problem? I'm eagerly waiting for winpwn 2.5 now, I'll just download Installer 4.0 if its available by then or Cydia. The rest of the apps I'll download from the phone
    I'm not quite sure If I understand because my guide is for the itouch and it does not need any dictionary thing or wedict that ur saying.
    THANK YOU!
    2008-08-29 12:42 AM
    I'm not quite sure If I understand because my guide is for the itouch and it does not need any dictionary thing or wedict that ur saying.
    Oh those are applications for the iphone, I'm pretty sure they can be downloaded in a ipod touch as well.
    2008-08-29 07:18 AM
    Oh those are applications for the iphone, I'm pretty sure they can be downloaded in a ipod touch as well.
    I understand that you d/led some apps, but those apps have nothing to do with my guide. I'm sorry I'm trying to help but I think you will receive much better help with your questions in the iphone thread. I can still try to help, but you have to forgive me because I don't even have an iphone. And it is very difficult to solve your problem with me not being hands on. If you are still looking for a guide to help with your iphone bigboss has some great guides (- iPhone News & Review).
    THANK YOU!
    2008-08-29 08:16 PM
    I understand that you d/led some apps, but those apps have nothing to do with my guide. I'm sorry I'm trying to help but I think you will receive much better help with your questions in the iphone thread. I can still try to help, but you have to forgive me because I don't even have an iphone. And it is very difficult to solve your problem with me not being hands on. If you are still looking for a guide to help with your iphone bigboss has some great guides (- iPhone News & Review).
    oh i dont need any help. I was just wondering if you knew what could've been the cause of my problem. My iphone's running great now, just upgraded to 2.0.2 couple of hours ago.
    2008-08-30 03:52 PM
    making a new thread for 2.0.2 jb
    THANK YOU!
    2008-08-30 06:03 PM
    hey i'm trying to jb my touch and it's said all over the web that firmware 2.0.1 is for iphones... not touches. so i wanted to know is it?
    2008-08-31 01:34 AM
    there are different firmwares for different devices. the itouch has its own firmware of 2.0.1
    THANK YOU!
    2008-08-31 01:44 AM
    where can i find the itouch 2.0.1
    2008-08-31 01:49 AM
    pm me the firmware download link plz
    2008-09-02 05:01 PM
    can u please pm me the link to download the firmware?
    2008-09-02 11:14 PM
    can u please pm me the link to download the firmware?
    i dont understand people, why ask so fast and waste another person's time when the answer is in front of you. GOOGLE IT! You ask the forum when you cannot find it anywhere else. But when your too lazy to type in what sort of firmware you want into google and click search. especially when some people make an account just to ask a dumb question when its faster to find it urself. But I'm not singling you out im using this as an example to tell every1 to try to look for things by themselves......btw look at ur inbox
    THANK YOU!
    2008-09-03 06:54 PM