Hello,

I ran into a not-so unique problem yesterday. I am currently working with Windows Vista on a Jailbroken Iphone 2.1. I am also using iTunes 8. In the past, I have had no problem making and syncing my ringtones. Now my custom ringtones do not show up under the "Settings>Sounds" section of my iPhone. The only error message I get is the following:

"ITunes could not back up the iPhone because the iPhone disconnected."

The only thing this stops, however, is backing up of the iPhone. All of my music, apps, and files Sync with no problem. If I go into the iPhone sidebar under iTunes, all of the ringtones are there. The only one that actually shows up in the Custom Ringtones section of the iPhone is the one I legitimately made through iTunes (for testing purposes).

I tried making a couple of new ones, and deleting/re-installing the ones I already have. No luck. So here I am. I'm out of tricks. Is there something I'm missing?

P.S. I also tried using SSH. They show up, but under "Standard" and not "Custom." I'd rather they sync through iTunes if I can help it.

Thanks in advance for posting.
    2008-09-14 06:33 PM
    hmmm..... could it maybe be a software problem? like something that could be solved by restoring?
    2008-09-14 07:14 PM
    I haven't tried that route yet. Restoring would require me to do the entire quickpwn process, and such.

I guess under the circumstances I may have to try it.

Should I restore then quickpwn, or quickpwn as part of the restore?
    2008-09-14 07:56 PM
    quickpwn as part of the restore..
    2008-09-14 11:20 PM
    Update: Turns out I didn't have to restore. There was just a corrupt ringtone file in there. Once I got rid of it, I got all of my other ringtones back.

I tested a new ringtone and it worked. Funny how it took a lot of playing around with the system and cursing before I found out such a simple solution.

Thanks everyone!
    2008-09-15 02:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD