User Tag List

I have a jailbroken 2.1 8g 3G iPhone and I have Cydia and would like to know how to make my own SMS background and bubbles.
    Maybe even a keyboard.
    But only because a lot of people on Cydia don't share my same taste in stuff.
    2008-11-29 09:53 PM
    You're going to need some software like Macromedia Fireworks or Adobe CS3 to design your own stuff. I use Macromedia cuz it's easy for me to use. Adobe CS3 is way expensive and kinda complicated. There are more choices out there but that's a start. You can also mod the current files on your iphone (via ssh) with that software and change the colors, etc. Download something like this as a start: IconXP Download.
    Goodluck
    2008-11-29 10:17 PM
    Does Macromedia cost anything?
    2008-11-29 10:23 PM
    I think it does, but you can get a 30 day trial.
    2008-12-05 02:49 AM
    What color bubbles do you need? I have quite a few that I can send you. Also I would recommend using Adobe Photoshop as well.
    2008-12-10 07:34 AM
    why dont u download some from the downloads section? there are lots of things there. there's got to be something u like.
    2008-12-10 08:27 AM
    If I were to download something off here, how do I put it off my phone?
    2008-12-10 01:56 PM
    If I were to download something off here, how do I put it off my phone?
    WinSCP or iPhoneBrowser
    2008-12-10 08:26 PM
    Is there any possible way I could make just the background with like paint?
    "Weezy I'm sick"
    2008-12-12 05:02 AM
    use total commander....easy program that lets you access your phone through USB.....than use winterboard to add in your own custom theme or other people's theme. You can also edit the icons n wallpaper to whatever your liking...for example make icons transparent using adobe photo shop real.

here's how mine iphone looks
    Attached Thumbnails How do I make my own SMS bubbles and background?-picture.png  
    Last edited by jetlorider; 2009-02-03 at 03:19 AM.
    2008-12-12 05:56 AM
    Is there any possible way I could make just the background with like paint?
    i highly recommend looking at Gimp if you are short on spending money. it's free and has many features similar or identical as to adobe photoshop offers.

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

GIMP - for Windows (windows installer)
    ~0okami
    2008-12-20 07:05 AM
    Gimp rocks!!! use it now and i just finished making my girls theme. gimp can do what you need for free. Its open source too which means its always updated.
    2009-02-21 09:52 PM
    I found a way to do it with paint.
    I just made the picture the right size.
    And SSH-ed it into my phone.
    And for the bubbles I just found a different SMS theme that I liked the bubbles in and the picture I want would just replace the theme set with the bubbles.
    "Weezy I'm sick"
    2009-02-22 08:42 PM

Original Source : 3GS 3.0 Working SMS Theme Bubbles/balloons & More! - The iPhone Blog Forums

OK everyone after doing a lot of line by line searching through iPhone explorer, ssh, and forums i still have not gotten any progress with the backgrounds for sms; however i have finally figured out how to make the sms bubbles/balloons to work in your themes if you are making them yourself or if you are downloading them from cydia/etc here is what you need to do:

there should already be a folder named:
    " MobileSMS.app " (without the " " of course) (make sure your bubble/balloon png are in there named Balloon_1.png and Balloon_2.png) Now this is the same as previous themes. But here is the most important part for 3.0 users (i'm a 3GS 3.0 user so i'm assuming this works for regular 3G and all others that have upgraded to 3.0)

You need to make this folder:
    " ChatKit.framework " (again without the " " 's) (this is where you need to have your bubble/balloon png's named Balloon_1.png and Balloon_2.png)
    But ChatKit is not limited to Ballons it also contains:

addcontact.png
    Balloon_1.png
    Balloon_2.png (these are all .png so i'm not typing anymore)
    BalloonInputField
    checked
    compose
    compose_atom
    compose_atom_selected
    delete
    deletepressed
    failure-btn
    failure-btn-pressed
    failure-exclamation-glyph
    group-icon-normal
    group-icon-white
    ImageBubbleMask
    ImageBubbleMaskUntailed
    ImageBubbleUntailed-Green
    input-field-cover
    MessageEntryBG
    multiSend-dropshadow
    multisend-navbar
    multisend-normal
    notchecked
    PhotoButton
    plus
    progressfill
    selectedcheck
    select-media-bubble
    select-text-bubble
    SendButton
    SendButtonPressed
    smalltrash
    Video-play-button

So your theme needs to look like this:

Blue Light ( theme folder name; place any springboard png in here)
    Bundles (Theme Subfolder)
    com.apple.springbaord (Bundles subfolder)
    en.lproj (com.appl.springboard subfolder)
    SpringBoard.string (en.lproj file; this is your away lock label ) (i.e. "AWAY_LOCK_LABEL" = "Thuwun's iPhone" ) (that's my person message)
    com.apple.TelephonyUI (Bundles subfolder )
    bottombarknobgray.png (com.apple.TelephonyUI file; this is the image of the slideer button when your iPhone is locked)
    Folders (Theme subfolder )
    Chatkit.framework (Folder Subfolder ) (place your bubble/balloon png)
    MobileSMS.app (Folder Subfolder ) (place bubble png and background png (even though i haven't figured outhow to get it to work yet)
    SpringBoard.app (Folder Subfolder ) (place your battery png in here for when iPhone is charging images)

Icons (Theme Subfolder ) ( place png for all the springboard apps that you want changed)

UISounds (Theme Subfolder ) (place dtmf-1.caf thru dtmf-9 & dtmf-star , dtmf-pound.caf for telephone keypad sounds and all other system sounds ringtones smstones etc)

i'm going to stop here but you should get the point... if you need anymore help hit me up annd i'll help you as far as my knowledge and research skill can.

If you would like to see a sample of these images in chatkit,framework you can iPhone explorer or ssh into your iPhone and goto:

root/system/library/privateframeworks/chatkit.framework

Hope This helps everyone... all in a days work

"thuwun"
    2009-12-21 01:38 AM