I think I should have dressed in some flame retardant clothes . Oh well... I'll just hope for the best b/c the title is so misleading - I don't really have said alternative, I'm merely on a quest to find one . But who knows, as replies accumulate, perhaps this title might even become accurate one day.

I read through most of the anti-WB threads and noticed that too many posts were just pro/con opinions or compromise rationales. WB is/isn't slow, does/doesn't cause crashes, can/can't live with it etc... I DO NOT want this thread to go down the same path. I'm trying to find a real solution, either using readily available tools or some easy to create ones.

A software (PC/Mac or iPhone OS) that could load WinterBoard image sets and/or other files, then simply copy them to the iPhone, into their respective folders, overwriting current graphics. AFAIK, Customize was doing something like this, but unfortunately it just doesn't work, plus development stopped on it anyway.

Yes, I'm aware of the limitations of not using WinterBoard, among which the most important one is probably the lack of wallpaper support. A possible(?) solution could be the icon/background overlays, as proposed in this thread, which, if automated, could work great. However, for now, let's just focus on how to batch transfer those graphics sets into our phones. Any ideas out there? Perhaps some time-gifted developers?
    2009-04-20 06:46 AM
    Hmmm, I have never had a single issue from running Winterboard, usually if you iphone runs like crap...its from something else or something you've done.
    2009-04-20 06:48 AM
    Thanks cpjr for your prompt contribution. I really tried to like WB and I truly gave it a chance (several, actually) and then it's April 2009 with WB updates being just minor fixes. As I mentioned in the original post (in bold), I really DO NOT want this thread to go down the same path with all other anti-WB threads. Let's just assume that WinterBoard DOES NOT EXIST and it never did.

BTW, what is this WinterBoard thingie that you're talking about?

Ok then. Thanks!
    2009-04-20 06:57 AM
    well i personally have NEVER had a problem with WINTERBOARD

the issue is not with winterboard unless you have every widget possible running

i have found that the issues usually involve running both quickgold and sbsettings at the same time, both of them drag you down like crazy and i guess that if you had both running and then threw on a big ol' theme it would only seem like winterboard was the issue
    2009-04-20 07:39 AM
    well i personally have NEVER had a problem with WINTERBOARD

the issue is not with winterboard unless you have every widget possible running

i have found that the issues usually involve running both quickgold and sbsettings at the same time, both of them drag you down like crazy and i guess that if you had both running and then threw on a big ol' theme it would only seem like winterboard was the issue
    I have to disagree with you here. I have had nothing BUT problems with Winterboard. First of all, you can't toggle features on full themes. This would be really simple to implement, yet it's not there. The UI lacks all forms of intuition and even after the read me is about eh worst possible way to control a theme that I can think of.

But I digress. My phone has been lagging and crashing for weeks since I started using winterboard. I disabled all the themes and guess what: my phone started acting perfectly normal. I changed nothing but disabling Winterboard.

Just because someone's experience differs from your own doesn't mean they're wrong.

I'll bump this thread so that we might find a suitable alternativ to WB.
    2009-04-20 08:17 AM
    ^^ well like i said, if you have other sb extensions running running a theme can be that thing that pushes it over the edge

if you think its so easy to implement in winterboard do it... show us all

menes - Revision 2840: /trunk/winterboard

theres the source code
    2009-04-20 08:40 AM
    No offence by this, cause i know how much research and time it takes to learn all of this, but you are never going to get a real response to this, because your request/question is just wrong. The bottome line is that WB is probably one of the most advanced peices of software available for the i. It is the foundation for mobile substrate, and the whole concept of the "hook". The alternatives that you are talking about were all doing things in a much more destructive way, wb, however, is the best possible solution. As well as the most powereful app available on the i. the only possible downside you could argue is that it needs more of a user friendly gui, because there are sooo many possiblities that most noobs really don't understand (which is like 90% of the causes of pple thinking that wb doesn't work or whatever),

and as far as the slow down goes, that really is only dependant on what you have running on it. (remeber the whole point of jailbreaking is that we want to remove the walls that apple put up to protect the user experience, because we beleive that WE are capable of managing our devices ourselves... but you can't then go back and complain when u load tons of html and widgets or whatever, and ur phone becomes unusable)

The bottom line is that what u r really looking for is an INCREADIBLY advanced app that will do it all, manage your memory, and include some serious UI, and seeing as how it took one of the biggest programer in the jb community (Saurik) to make wb in the first place, i doubt you are going to see such an improvement to his work any time soon (in the form of a wb alternative anyway)
    2009-04-20 03:48 PM
    Wrong and prissy. I'm a noob regarding hardware and programming, but even I realize that running extra graphics on a non-friendly UI/OS will obviously require additional loading time and memory usage. Winterboard is smooth and simple, perfect for the task, as long as you use it with moderation, just like springboard and apps numbers in general. Respring/reboot more often, or just go into safe mode whenever you really need to( ie. Loot Wars, etc.)
    2009-04-20 04:31 PM
    ^^ well like i said, if you have other sb extensions running running a theme can be that thing that pushes it over the edge

if you think its so easy to implement in winterboard do it... show us all

menes - Revision 2840: /trunk/winterboard

theres the source code
    Haha! You responded exactly the way I would have had I read my response. I was way out of line in the way I couched it.

I actually AM working on a new implementation of WB. This is my first project in Objective C so it's slow going. I have the whole thing mapped out but I am learning the language as I go along. It's easy to stop and ask for directions, unless you're in a country where you don't speak the language.

I'm focusing first on UI then I'll look at the performance issues. UI is my biggest complaint, anyway, so if that's all I fix I'll be much happier.

PS- The only extensions I'm running are WinterBoard and SSH. Not sure that should push it over the edge.
    2009-04-20 05:48 PM
    Two thumbs up for WinterBoard from me. Just be careful what themes you install and don't go overboard. I could not think using my phone without WB.
    Don't be shy if I helped you use the Thanks button, I do it.
    2009-04-20 06:00 PM
    Tard alert.... WTF? Get your rocks off creating threads with false statements in the title?
    You deserve every flame you get....
    2009-04-20 06:10 PM
    What you looking for is for somebody with knoleged to take over "Customize" and make it work on 2.0 up... spicy chicken leave that app open for somebody to continue working on it for future firmware... Is a nice idea what you looking for but after customize i don't think you gona find something better than winterboard...
    2009-04-20 06:34 PM
    Thread title = FAIL
    2009-04-20 06:37 PM
    bottom line is if you dont like winterboard and its performance.. dont use it

but, dont expect anyone to sit around and find a new solution and write a better app because anyone who has such skills will know that winterboard is so far the best solution and the majority of the community is completely satisfied with winterboard. i personally am more than satisfied with winterboard and i have looked at the code and it is more than efficient.

as for winterboard app's ui.... did it ever occur to you that you can theme he app itself with winterboard? there is also another app in cydia called wbapp that provides a more attractive interface and theme previews. try it out and stop bi**hing

I actually AM working on a new implementation of WB. This is my first project in Objective C so it's slow going. I have the whole thing mapped out but I am learning the language as I go along. It's easy to stop and ask for directions, unless you're in a country where you don't speak the language.
    i am looking forward to it, if you do in fact succeed in this app you also might want to take into consideration how much work it will be to maintain it. also if you are planning on avoiding mobile substrate you will also consider that if the app crashes the user will be stuck with a brick.
    Last edited by JStraitiff; 2009-04-20 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-04-20 07:27 PM
    bottom line is if you dont like winterboard and its performance.. dont use it
    Take your own advice. If you are perfectly satisfied with WinterBoard, don't go into forums searching for a winterboard alternative. After all, that's what this thread was about.

anyone who has such skills will know that winterboard is so far the best solution
    The whole point of this thread is: Yes, WinterBoard is the best solution so far but is there anything better out there or in the works?

You'd think we insulted your mother the way you defend WinterBoard. It's just an app and Saurik isn't God, nor infallible. I'm grateful for what he did, but at the same time if we just accepted "the best thing so far" we wouldn't have the iPhone at all.

@flix: they're right: dumb idea to use a false title, but I support your thread otherwise. All these freaks who think that "good enough" is good enough don't belong in this thread in the first place. I don't know why they are looking at WB alternatives when they're perfectly happy with it. All they've successfully done to your thread is muck it up with useless rantings about their precious Saurik and his app. I thought jailbreaking would help me avoid the fanboys. Looks like I just ended up surrounded by a different breed.
    2009-04-20 08:06 PM
    The only answer to your original question is you can use delete WB and use SSH to replace the UI files on the phone instead of using WB to "point" to alternative files. What causes the Springboard to crash is low system memory. If you installed WB and no other mobile substrate applications your device would be just fine. It's when people load MULTIPLE mobile substrate apps (SB Settings, Notifier, QuickSMS, iBlacklist, five icon dock, five row springboard, quickgold, Finder, Blanknull, SkrewCommon, Springjumps, etc) that it eats away at the system memory and causes slow down and crashing. Before you point the finger at any one app you need to realize it's generally the sum of all apps that cause issues. Lastly any theme that has a widget or any kind of animation or video or changes should be avoided.

And I changed your Title. Thanks
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 2009-04-20 at 08:20 PM.
    2009-04-20 08:17 PM
    It would be nice to have an app that replaces stock UI items, but what about the ones that aren't stock?
    2009-04-20 08:19 PM
    matnico

1) you fail... i didnt search for anything... incase you havent noticed that i hit basically every thread... new posts section smart ***

2) there is nothing wrong with winterboard's performance, like everyone has said... it is something else... you cannot be just running winterboard if your phone is that slow, or you just havent bothered to update winterboard in the last 6 months

3) calling someone a fanboy because they can see the obvious and know that something is good just makes u sound ignorant, you cant enjoy or appreciate anything,,, like the people who insist that windows is better than leopard have obviously never used it or refuse to submit to a good thing. no one is going to be insulted by being called a fanboy.

honestly if you are going to make your winterboard alternative go ahead and try, but you will most likely fail especially since you dont even know objective-C. before you start throwing around words and so called insults you should probably get some background knowledge.
    2009-04-20 08:23 PM
    Looks like my worst fear has materialized. The thread HAS gone down the same old beaten path of pro/con posts. Pretty please, can we just assume that WB does not exist for many of us? Or even clearer: my religion strictly prohibits the use of WinterBoard and anyone caught using it will be charbroiled? Please?
    2009-04-20 09:49 PM
    Yeah dude, i would have said that hims post was a little harsh if it was posted a few posts ago, but ur really out of ur element (or mind) here. You should really do some research... no one here is giving uneducated "fan-boy" defenses of a broken app... the bottom line is u are criticizing the single most advanced app we have on the iphone... i know it doesn't look like much compared to the other full GUI predecessors, but wb is lightyears ahead of EVERYTHING else. At this point, it is pretty obvious to everyone that actually knows what they r doing here, that u wont even come close to ur fantasy wb app. I know it sounds great to all the noobs, and no one wants to hear someone put down innovation, but ur just not being even remotely practical. If ur really interested in creating an app, u should start with something reasonable…. Whats next… this thread?:
    “I have a Great new alternative app to Cydia… and by that I mean: could someone please make a new app that will jb my iphone, store all my apps on my pc, allow me to have a front facing video camera, and the best part about this app is that it will be 107 times faster than cydia…. C’mon guys don’t go fanboying around just because u love the way things are… u guys are just such fanboys cause u don’t want anything to get better than it is… I have looked into making this app, and have mapped it all out… I am armed with html and magic.”
    Seriously dude… no one is “offended” by ur posts, its more like people are cringing at how far out of ur way u have gone to make an a** of urself… questions are all well and good (that’s why people like him – who posts like 5 million times a day to help out others is here) but when u start throwing out stupid remarks like that, it makes the people that r trying to help u want to leave.

And flix, I know ur still hoping for an answer, but trust the people that have spoken on this thread that actually know what they are talking about… an update to wb, is realistically the only thing u can look out for… by the time that anyone else wants to START a project like this, the 4.0 fw will be out.
    Last edited by leram84; 2009-04-20 at 10:31 PM.
    2009-04-20 10:23 PM
22 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD