i would like to change everything myself without using winterboard. are there any posts or tutorials on the paths, files etc on how to do this?

thank you
    2009-07-13 03:48 PM
    why?

The biggest thing, the wallpaper CAN NOT be changed without Winterboard. So Basically all you can do is the icons and the dock.

Also since the iPhone originally uses a compressed .png for its images, replacing them with uncompressed images isnt going to help performance wise anyway.

Winterboard is the best way to go... It can change just about anything, and its not permanent. You dont need to go digging around your system files to change things.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish
    2009-07-13 06:43 PM
    but doesnt winterboard slow down the iphone?wouldnt replacing icons be a better way if you dont want the slowdown caused by winterboard?
    2009-07-14 08:19 AM
    Yes, I would like to know if there is a tutorial as well. Going weinterboardless time time.
    2009-10-02 04:31 PM
    my main reason for using winterboard was to simply change my wallpaper. although there are some really neat themes out there, i prefer simpler and have no problem with the stock icons.

i use boss paper instead of winterboard now to change my wallpaper.
    i manually change the dock image, i imagine i could change my icons this way to if i wanted.
    i use font swap as well

the only thing i really miss from winterboard is the tap to unlock sliders.
    i haven't looked to see if there's a way to use those without wb
    2009-10-06 07:12 AM
    my main reason for using winterboard was to simply change my wallpaper. although there are some really neat themes out there, i prefer simpler and have no problem with the stock icons.

i use boss paper instead of winterboard now to change my wallpaper.
    i manually change the dock image, i imagine i could change my icons this way to if i wanted.
    i use font swap as well

the only thing i really miss from winterboard is the tap to unlock sliders.
    i haven't looked to see if there's a way to use those without wb
    It is possible to have tap to unlock without winterboard. Using it now.
    The location to change the png files are /system/library/privateframeworks/telephonyUI.framework

Also, you will need to hide the "slide to unlock" as it shift over to the right side of the screen. To do this, goto system/library/coreservices/springboard.app/english.lproj
    Use need to edited the springboard.strings file. Scroll to 'away lock label' and delete the line "slide to unlock". Leave the "" in.

I use ifile from my iphone or if you have a pc you can use aptana radrails program to edited from your desktop.
    2009-10-10 06:52 AM
    winterboard doesnt slow anything down. THATS THE WHOLE POINT OF ITS EXISTANCE.
    2009-10-10 06:29 PM
    It is possible to have tap to unlock without winterboard. Using it now.
    The location to change the png files are /system/library/privateframeworks/telephonyUI.framework

Also, you will need to hide the "slide to unlock" as it shift over to the right side of the screen. To do this, goto system/library/coreservices/springboard.app/english.lproj
    Use need to edited the springboard.strings file. Scroll to 'away lock label' and delete the line "slide to unlock". Leave the "" in.

I use ifile from my iphone or if you have a pc you can use aptana radrails program to edited from your desktop.
    Thanks! I've been lazy, but I will def give this a try!
    2009-10-11 04:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD