Yes, I'm a noob on this forum but I've read topics from all 9 pages of this section, and done lots of other research for what I thought was something simple and there just seems to be no good way to go about it. So if anybody would like to show off their vast knowledge about the iPhone, this thread should be perfect.

I commonly download AVI files of complete movies; most (if not 99.9%) are in the DIVX AVI format. These can be played on my computer, and even on most DVD players (even the cheap $40 ones nowadays), but not on the iPhone for some mystical reason.

I'm looking for a solution to simply play these videos on my iPhone easily; but furthermore have them be at the correct resolution to show up on TV decently as well (480i or roughly 640x480 pixels). Video converter software doesn't seem to be the answer for two reasons: A. it takes a good 3+ hours on a dual core PC with 4GB of ram to process a 90 minute movie, and B. they want to be formatted to the iPhones' screen size which is much smaller than even an old school tube TV so that's not going to work.

I've tried VTC4iPhone (won't play in landscape mode; useless), dTunes (seems to only be for streaming), and a couple others from Cydia that wouldn't sync the sound properly, stretched the image, or didn't play at all (a lot had sound only).

Can anybody help me out with a solution that doesn't involve 3+ hours per movie of process time to only get an inferior grade movie? I absolutely love my iPhone to death; first Mac product I've ever unqestionably loved; but this bottleneck seems archaic to me with AVI being the format of choice for movies anymore.

A bonus question if you will: I've seen the component out plugs for the iPhone for $50 and through research have seen that nothing much works like the cables from DealExtreme.com since the authentication chip doesn't with with 3.0.1 or 3.0. But has anybody seen cables that are just the red/white/yellow so I can hook this up to a TV without component hook-ups?

iPhone 3GS, 16GB, 3.0, jailbroken with RedSn0w. Running Windows 7.
    2009-08-25 04:53 AM
    Yes, I'm a noob on this forum but I've read topics from all 9 pages of this section, and done lots of other research for what I thought was something simple and there just seems to be no good way to go about it. So if anybody would like to show off their vast knowledge about the iPhone, this thread should be perfect.

I commonly download AVI files of complete movies; most (if not 99.9%) are in the DIVX AVI format. These can be played on my computer, and even on most DVD players (even the cheap $40 ones nowadays), but not on the iPhone for some mystical reason.

I'm looking for a solution to simply play these videos on my iPhone easily; but furthermore have them be at the correct resolution to show up on TV decently as well (480i or roughly 640x480 pixels). Video converter software doesn't seem to be the answer for two reasons: A. it takes a good 3+ hours on a dual core PC with 4GB of ram to process a 90 minute movie, and B. they want to be formatted to the iPhones' screen size which is much smaller than even an old school tube TV so that's not going to work.

I've tried VTC4iPhone (won't play in landscape mode; useless), dTunes (seems to only be for streaming), and a couple others from Cydia that wouldn't sync the sound properly, stretched the image, or didn't play at all (a lot had sound only).

Can anybody help me out with a solution that doesn't involve 3+ hours per movie of process time to only get an inferior grade movie? I absolutely love my iPhone to death; first Mac product I've ever unqestionably loved; but this bottleneck seems archaic to me with AVI being the format of choice for movies anymore.

A bonus question if you will: I've seen the component out plugs for the iPhone for $50 and through research have seen that nothing much works like the cables from DealExtreme.com since the authentication chip doesn't with with 3.0.1 or 3.0. But has anybody seen cables that are just the red/white/yellow so I can hook this up to a TV without component hook-ups?

iPhone 3GS, 16GB, 3.0, jailbroken with RedSn0w. Running Windows 7.
    You have to set VLC4iphone to landscape mode in settings, and if you have a mac, or install 10.6 in a netbook use visual hub, I do the same thing but I have a i-sight iMac with 3gbs of ram and it takes me 30 min for a 2 hour movie. VLC4iphone lags a bit much for my taste however and i agree something better should be made. Until then I dream. And for your bonus question yes I have a pair.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Audio-Video-Apple-iPhone/dp/B001FW6FGU/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1251686192&s r=8-27]Amazon.com: AV Cable(Audio/Video) for Apple iPhone 3G: Electronics[/ame]
    this is a third party. It works with 3.0 but I cant speak for how long it will last.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Composite-AV-Cable-MB129LL/dp/B001MKF8O0/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1251686192&s r=8-23]Amazon.com: Apple Composite AV Cable (MB129LL/B): Electronics[/ame]
    and this is the guaranteed to work and last apple one.
    2009-08-31 04:38 AM
    Well I use TMPGEnc 4.0 Xpress & yes it does take awhile, but I have had no issues with it & it outputs a new file...if I understood you right other ones where overriding your screen resolution to the size for the iphone.
    2009-09-07 04:54 PM
    Well I use TMPGEnc 4.0 Xpress & yes it does take awhile, but I have had no issues with it & it outputs a new file...if I understood you right other ones where overriding your screen resolution to the size for the iphone.
    No no use Visual Hub, its free and amazing!
    2009-09-08 02:44 AM
    Hi, use Xilisoft MP4 converter. It converts any format to mp4 and takes about 20 mins or so to convert a movie. Only draw back is if you want quality output the file size will grow.
    2009-09-10 04:48 AM
    I don't know if this helps, but I use Any Video Converter to convert whatever into my iPhone format. It will allow you to convert into almost all resolutions all the way up to 1920x1080. As well, I use the standerd red-white-yellow composite cables from Apple in my car to play music videos, movies, pictures, etc. on my in-dash DVD player via screens splitr.

Am I getting smart with you? How would you know?
    2009-09-10 05:04 AM
    I guess my laptop is just too slow to use any of these programs. No matter what I try it takes a minimum of 2 hours per normal length movie, and the temp of my CPU gets to 100 degrees Celsius which is just dangerous for the health of the internals.

Maybe I'll see if it can run in the background at work where I have a Mac G5 with 8GB or ram.
    2009-09-23 04:49 PM
    why dont you try using iPhone app "FileAid" - I use this and barely have to convert any video at all. It would save you time and hassle converting video all the time. Just upload the unconverted videos to iPhone - and use FileAid to open and watch them - landscape mode supported.
    2009-10-13 07:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD