going from the 1st gen to a 3GS it seems as though battery life is a lot worse. i'm wondering if part it might have to do with the theme i put together; specifically the weather app. does it run in the background? figure if it did that might be causing it to drain the battery excessively. if it does, is it possible to disable it so it only runs when on the homescreen?

theme in question

with my first gen i could easily go two full days until i had to charge. with the 3GS i have to charge it every night which can be inconvinient at times. today, for example, the phone has been off the charger for 3.5 hours and it already down 13%. two texts sent, weather checked once, wifi off, BT off, 3G on.

thanks!
    Last edited by mdwsta4; 2009-08-25 at 08:51 PM.
    2009-08-25 08:49 PM
    Things on the lockscreen and widgets use a lot of resources, hence the battery drain.

I'd be willing to be if you disabled some of the things on your lockscreen your battery life would be a bit better. In conclusion though, yes it is most likely your theme that is causing this tremendous battery drain.
    Respect your elders.
    2009-08-26 10:36 PM
    I don't have anything on the lockscreen other than a picture (standard clock, no weather app, other widgets, etc).

Things on the lockscreen and widgets use a lot of resources, hence the battery drain.

I'd be willing to be if you disabled some of the things on your lockscreen your battery life would be a bit better. In conclusion though, yes it is most likely your theme that is causing this tremendous battery drain.
    2009-08-26 10:41 PM
    Oh, when you said "disable it so it runs only on the homescreen" I took that as meaning it was also shown on the lockscreen. The answer is the same though, as the widgets do use more resources than average which will cause some drain on the battery...
    Respect your elders.
    2009-08-26 10:54 PM
    sorry, i meant just the first page of the homescreen. the clock/weather still shows up on the search tab to the left of the homescreen. and while the pages to the right are black, the clock/weather is still present behind them.

if i have the phone locked, this shouldn't drain the battery, should it? i'm not accessing the feature until i unlock the phone from standby and the page appears.
    2009-08-26 11:16 PM
    something that also helps dramatically is to turn 3g off when you dont need it. i can easily go a few days with a single battery charge on my 3g.
    2009-08-27 01:58 AM
    ^ wow, use your phone much? lolz. I charge everyday.
    2009-08-27 02:02 AM
    ^ wow, use your phone much? lolz. I charge everyday.
    lol everyday? I charge multiple times a day haha
    2009-08-27 09:14 AM
    my phone just sits in a dock while in my truck and in a dock at the office
    2009-08-27 09:31 AM
    isnt the weather always good in santaa monica anyways ;-)
    2009-08-27 02:07 PM
    Love your theme.. anyway I can get it from you?

the icons and the dock would be great if you could share them.. I have the rest of the HTC Sense Theme..
    Last edited by parmenti; 2009-08-29 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-08-29 12:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD