I've done tons of investigating because of an annoyance I've been experiencing. Half the time, upon closing apps with the home button, the app would hang/freeze for a few seconds, and simply disappear, instead of animating out.

This is a result of Winterboard. I've installed/uninstalled many apps, even restored my phone a few times, and Winterboard tended to to be the clear culprit. A fix is needed desperately!

iPhone 3G/3.0.1
    2009-09-15 12:42 AM
    Well yeah thats been known. Any mobile substrate application that directly affects the apps and/or images within them will cause a slow-down in the system.

Theres really nothing you can do about it....except for not using winterboard. But if you want winterboard that is the trade off. Personally I dont really care if there is a slight drag and could care less about the closing animation.
    2009-09-15 12:52 AM
    The only apps I have problems with not closing is the ipod, mail, & safari. All my other apps close just fine. Mail, & iPod will open on their own at times (background). 3GS
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.
    2009-09-15 01:35 AM
    I had that problem on my 2G and 3G.... no problems at all on my 3GS
    So long, and thanks for all the fish
    2009-09-15 01:44 AM
    As so I've heard. I'm thinking it has to deal with the system attemping to make a screenshot of the app before It closes, to use when the app opens up next.

An example of this is the Notes App. The default.png file is rewritten everytime you close the app. Not sure if it is the reason, but certainly a possibilty.
    2009-09-15 10:19 PM
    This is because of the 50% more processing power and DOUBLE the RAM that the 3GS has.....it can just handle it better.
    2009-09-16 01:22 AM
    This is because of the 50% more processing power and DOUBLE the RAM that the 3GS has.....it can just handle it better.
    Its great isnt it.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish
    2009-09-16 02:11 AM
    ^I loves it
    2009-09-16 02:30 AM
    This also happens on the iPod Touch 2G as well.

I guess we will have to wait and see for the 3G iTouch.
    2009-09-18 04:11 PM
    I've got the 3GS & the iPod & Mail will run in the background even when I haven't opened them. It does it every day. There are times the iPod will be running after a reboot (using the power button)
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.
    2009-09-19 01:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD