Hi,

I have received the iPad's VGA dongle and disappointed to find that iPad only allows VGA output for certain apps (Video player, Keynotes, etc.) but not all time like a notebook.

If iPad is to replace notebook, a key feature is to allow all time VGA output so that I can dock it in office and use an external monitor.

As the VGA output is controlled by apps, so I figure it should be a software switch that turn the VGA output on or off. Does anyone is there a hack to enable it all time?

Many thanks!
    2010-05-16 03:01 PM
    i think that theres an app on cydia but i dont think its compatible with the ipad
    2010-05-16 03:48 PM
    it appears tvout2 does or will do this at some point. also, apple never positioned the ipad as a laptop replacement. but i too wish it would allow anything to be displayed over the vga adapter.
    2010-05-16 06:02 PM
    tvout2 version 1.12 works with the ipad.

I tested and used it with netflix.

Its not in cydia.. you will have to google tvout2 1.12 or try 1.10

cydia version is 1.09
    2010-05-17 09:03 PM
    Cydia version is actually 1.12 now, I guess it got updated recently.

Works great btw, Netflix is full speed
    2010-05-18 02:45 AM
    Thanks for the pointer and I tried the TVOut2 1.12, it works great if the apps itself produce video signal (like Netflix, Youtube, built-in picture viewer, etc).
    Hopwever, I hope to have the ipad VGA out to the external monitor for apps that doesn't play video, like Pages, Numbers, etc.
    2010-05-18 12:24 PM
    Thanks for the pointer and I tried the TVOut2 1.12, it works great if the apps itself produce video signal (like Netflix, Youtube, built-in picture viewer, etc).
    Hopwever, I hope to have the ipad VGA out to the external monitor for apps that doesn't play video, like Pages, Numbers, etc.
    That should also work fine, are you not seeing your springboard on the external monitor/tv?

I can use any app it seems, I gave safari a go and that was fine.

I am using the component cables, red white yellow, for tv out.
    2010-05-18 06:13 PM
    for VGA You need to play a video then tvout2 should start up and display everything
    Last edited by guidob; 2010-05-19 at 11:26 AM.
    2010-05-18 08:03 PM
    so this works with any cable or?
    2010-05-18 08:10 PM
    Composite cables autoconnect, VGA needs a nudge by playing a video to get it going. Apple cable is required if you want to play video, other cables fine for gaming and anything else
    2010-05-18 08:20 PM
    aaaaaaaahhh, otay, need netflix on my tv from my iPad
    2010-05-18 08:27 PM
    Thanks Guidob for this app, you have no idea how crushed I was when I realized Netflix didn't have video out... Now my ipad is complete!

Oh yeah, RealRacing HD on the tv was niiiiiiice! Noticed a little stuttering on the tv, it seems to happen when the ipad screen gets refreshed. I'll mess around with the settings more, I didn't adjust them for RealRacing, perhaps theres a toggle that will get everything just right
    2010-05-18 08:32 PM
    There is a new app on Cydia called DisplayOut for $1.99. It mirrors what's onscreen.
    2010-05-19 03:34 AM
    Thanks Tweaker!!

I was just about to go and buy a composite cable to test, when I saw your reply. I brough and downloaded DisplayOut and it's exactly what I wanted: a simple all time VGA to my monitor.

Many thanks again.
    2010-05-19 05:41 AM
    Xcitizen, tvout2 does this for free! There is just a glitch where you need to play a video before the VGA adaptor starts up at the moment. Also for iPad users you should probably stick to "mirror" mode and avoid complications due the optimisations put in for 2g and 3g iphones.

More info here:
    http://iphonetvoutlandscape.forumcir...opic.php?t=150
    Last edited by guidob; 2010-05-19 at 10:52 AM.
    2010-05-19 07:43 AM
    I have noticed that tvout2 will affect certain video types from playing back on the iPad. If this happens, launch the tv settings app and make sure tv out is disabled, and split mirror mode is selected. This got video playback to work on the iPad again.

I lost video playback in my games like cobra command, brothers in arms 2 and truckers delight.

All is good now, just an FYI for those that run in to this quirk.
    2010-05-19 08:09 AM
    Anyone seen DisplayOut 1.0 in Cydia yet. It's a paid app but it claims to mirror the ipad display through the Apple VGA addapter. I wanna give it a try but I don't have the addapter yet.
    2010-05-19 09:24 AM
    Hi Guidob

Does TVOut2 works with the iPad VGA connector from Apple? I tried but it only work on video feed but not other apps. I also tried to "initiate" the split by first starting a video feed, then switch to other apps (like browser), but the screen went black (the monitor didn't go into sleep mode, so there is some signal to keep the monitor alive).

Any suggestion?

By the way, thanks for developing this app and offer it for free. It's a great app!
    2010-05-21 09:22 AM
    Thanks, the new 1.1.5 release in Cydia from today should fix these VGA cable startup problems.
    2010-05-28 12:11 PM
    When using 1.1.5 today it crashed my iPad

Installed from Cydia
    Connected apple VGA adapter
    Display not mirrored
    Started video, video worked fine
    Started tuner, changed it to Mirror mode
    Adjusted portrait settings
    closed app and switched device to landscape
    adjusted landscape settings
    closed app and tried out mirror mode for a while
    removed VGA adapter = iPad crash

I was not able to reproduce this after the iPad rebooted. Debug mode was turned off (sorry =()

I'm also having a problem with the app recognizing the iPad is in landscape mode. I have to raise the ipad up to get the app to switch before I can config landscape settings.

I am also having some pretty bad stuttering from Air Video on the secondary display. not sure if that is related to your app. I believe this is using the native iPad video out feature as the video is being shown on teh secondary display but Airvideo control is still shown on ipad, similar to how the Videos.app runs

Oh, and awesome app, btw. Thanks for making it free!
    2010-06-10 03:14 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD