User Tag List

Now that the new iphone has been announced, i am going to start the process of selling my iphone.

What i want to know is my cydia "acct" is connected with my sim. Meaning if i sold my phone with cydia on it would the next person be able to download all the apps i paid for?

And when i get the new phone do i lose all of that, or does it transfer with my sim?

thanks
    2010-06-08 10:43 PM
    bump

Anyone??
    2010-06-12 01:13 AM
    No it is not connected to a device.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews
    2010-06-12 02:00 AM
    Well I have to ask this then!

If you do a restore on your iphone and open up Cydia you can choose any app that you have bought through Cydia and will not be charged again for it!

Seems like its got to be reconized by the ECID, phone number or the sim or something on the phone!
    2010-06-12 04:06 AM
    It is associated with your email that you used to purchase it.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
    2010-06-12 04:13 AM
    Yea you have to sign in to Cydia to make a purchase so that sign in account maintains your purchases
    2010-06-12 09:10 PM
    Ok one more time!

Say you have to restore or rejailbreak your Iphone!

Which means all of the os and storage is replaced!

Only thing you have on your Iphone is the original Iphone apps and Cydia and Winterboard!

Nothing else is on the phone like your email account or nothing its basic but jailbroken!

I open up Cydia browse to PKGBackup and choose it as going to buy for the first time, but I had purchased it sometime before I did the restore and rejailbreak thing! When I choose this package it automaticly knows that I have purchased this app before and lets me download without paying! Mind you there is not one place on this phone with my email address or my personal info!

So how does it know that I have purchased this item before!

Mind you with Rock you have to setup with email address but not with Cydia!

So how does Cydia know?

I like others am looking to upgrade at sometime but not at first because my 3gs account has a few more months so this will be futher down the line. Its just something I would like to know whether I lose all of my Cydia bought apps and it goes with my 3gs when I sell it or do I get the option to transfer to my new phone?
    2010-06-12 10:11 PM
    Yeah I know you have to sign in to buy apps. But you don't when you redl them. When I get the new iPhone I'm assuming all those purchased apps will be gone. It has to be associated with the phone somehow.

Anyone that has upgraded should be able to tell us if they could transfer there paid apps over.
    2010-06-14 04:21 PM
    Yeah I know you have to sign in to buy apps. But you don't when you redl them. When I get the new iPhone I'm assuming all those purchased apps will be gone. It has to be associated with the phone somehow.

Anyone that has upgraded should be able to tell us if they could transfer there paid apps over.
    Bump ^
    2010-06-14 04:24 PM
    Hi Tellytel unfortunately I'm on my phone now and can paste my screenshot till i'm home but in cydia when u go to purchase a new app it will prompt u to login first. Saurik even addresses your concerns specifically on this login page saying if u buy a new phone this login page will facilitate u not having to rebuy a program try it and see after a restore since the cache will be cleared. I'll post a screenie later
    2010-06-14 04:34 PM
    Hi Tellytel unfortunately I'm on my phone now and can paste my screenshot till i'm home but in cydia when u go to purchase a new app it will prompt u to login first. Saurik even addresses your concerns specifically on this login page saying if u buy a new phone this login page will facilitate u not having to rebuy a program try it and see after a restore since the cache will be cleared. I'll post a screenie later
    PCeasar is correct in that is stated during the purchasing! Even if its a new phone you purchase! But it also states MOST apps! oo Rah

Ps but it still doesn't tell how when you restoring and rejailbreak how Cydia knows you have purchased these apps already, because you do not login to Cydia other than it could be either tied to your phone serial number, ECID number or your phone number that is the only thing different than any other iphone!

I can tell you that you will not loose your Cydia bought apps if you do any firmware upgrade on the same phone! But I do not know when changing phone!
    Last edited by area51crypto; 2010-06-14 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-06-14 11:40 PM
    Hi Okay I have the pic. Now what happens is when you have a new phone and you install cydia etc. Then you go back to the package or program you had previously, click purchase, it will prompt you to sign in as seen in my example. Once you sign in, if you purchased the app before, like for an old phone, it will recognize your login and then check to see if you had already purchased the app. If you did purchase it in the past with that login ID you just used, it will just proceed to the download without charging you again.

I've been through quite a few iPhones - G - Gs16GB then - GS 32GB. No concerns here about upgrading hardware, Saurik worked it out.

Now please note. The reason Saurik says most apps is that not all apps follow his guidance or sell via his tool. For instance MiVTones is sold outside of Cydia but downloadable via Cydia, that program is IMEI or ECID recognized so I have to email them to change hardware. This was similar for VLC player which I paid/ donated and couldnt get my app back without paying again after the switch.

But most important apps are good such as 3G unrestrictor and music controls. The missing gap is to get Rock to manage and download them all but I doubt that'll happen anytime soon so I use both. Also try aptbackup maybe that will help you with the apps you had, though I prefer rocks backup method more.
    Attached Thumbnails Cydia Question...-cydiapic.jpg  
    2010-06-15 12:18 AM
    It seems to me that a question remains as to whether the purchaser of the old iphone will be able to automatically download apps originally purchased by the phone's former owner on Cydia or Rock.
    2010-06-16 01:06 AM
    It seems to me that a question remains as to whether the purchaser of the old iphone will be able to automatically download apps originally purchased by the phone's former owner on Cydia or Rock.
    PCeasar, Has answered the question in that say you buy a new 4g you will have to open Cydia select your app, that you have already bought and then be taken to sign in as though you were buying and then it will reconize your sign id and let you have for no charge as it knows you have bought the app already!

Two issues I see here though is are you going to have to do that to all the apps you purchased through Cydia or if you do it one time and it will remember that next time you choose another app you have bought!

Second I would remove all the apps that I purchased of the iphone before I sold it, that just me though!
    Last edited by area51crypto; 2010-06-16 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Spelling
    2010-06-16 01:14 AM
    PCeasar, Has answered the question in that say you buy a new 4g you will have to open Cydia select your app, that you have already bought and then be taken to sign in as though you were buying and then it will reconize your sign id and let you have for no charge as it knows you have bought the app already!

Two issues I see here though is are you going to have to do that to all the apps you purchased through Cydia or if you do it one time and it will remember that next time you choose another app you have bought!

Second I would remove all the apps that I purchased of the iphone before I sold it, that just me though!
    Thanks but I don't think that answers the question. Will the person who buys my jailbroken iphone 3GS with Cydia be able to install my former apps?
    2010-06-16 05:01 AM
    Yes to twitchthecat unless u restore and find some crazy way to sign out but I'm not sure why that would be such a big concern for you.

To area51, once you're signed in you're good apps will show as already purchased and the install button is visible without further action. It's quite similar to rock and app store just set up differently.
    2010-06-16 01:11 PM
    Yes to twitchthecat unless u restore and find some crazy way to sign out but I'm not sure why that would be such a big concern for you.

To area51, once you're signed in you're good apps will show as already purchased and the install button is visible without further action. It's quite similar to rock and app store just set up differently.
    Thanks that really is great

I think what he is refering to is can he sell his iphone with the Cydia apps still on the iphone and also transfer to his new phone!

I would think, and its jmo that any Cydia app that does not require a login to function would still work, but once he changes all his apps to the new phone I would think that the apps on the older phone would not be able to update!

Only way to know for sure would be to email or twitter Saurik!
    2010-06-16 05:04 PM

Well I just jailbroke my Iphone 4 and when I sign in the repo which in this case is Big Boss tells me that I must contact Saurik to get help with this!

I am trying to transfer my 3gs apps I bought to my Iphone 4 and I can see this is going to be a Pain!

Shot Saurik an email will see what he says and my main concern is how long till he replies!
    2010-08-03 02:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD