I installed Backgrounder. When springboard reloaded I then had a 2nd icon for "settings" next to the Backgrounder icon???? If you tap it the screen goes black, nothing happens, then you are right back to springboard. I have since removed Backgrounder but the 2nd "settings" icon is still there and I can not remove???? PLEASE HELP
    2010-06-10 03:18 AM
    Solution with iFile
    Move the one "Settings Icon" you want to get rid of to the most right position of your dock (the icons at the bottom).
    Go to /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/
    Open com.apple.springboard.plist and edit it.
    Search for <string>com.apple.Preferences</string>
    You should find 2 hits. The second one is below <key>buttonBar</key>.
    Replace this second <string>com.apple.Preferences</string> with <string>0</string>

Save and respring. You should have only one left.

Attention: Always backup files you edit before doing so. If something goes wrong you can use the backup and get back.
    2010-06-10 02:49 PM
    But i do not see a second string. actually my strings look nothing like you have. this is strange. what to do????
    2010-06-10 03:17 PM
    Are you sure that you opened the right file? You could also send me a private message and put your com.apple.springboard.plist as an attachment.. or copy and paste it into a pm to me.
    2010-06-10 04:14 PM
    Make sure that the icon is not actualy "status notifier". Both settings and status notifier share the same icon, and when i click on stat notify icon nothing happens.

Open cydia or rock and check to see if you have it installed.
    2010-06-10 04:17 PM
    Thanks all for replies. I just installed status notifier as well. That would make me feel alot better knowing it is not a "glitch" of some sort. What is the icon for????????

I will uninstall status notifier to see if it goes away.

That was it!!!! thank you guys! Do I dare ask if i can change the icon or remove it?

Thank you
    Last edited by 31voz; 2010-06-10 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-06-10 04:37 PM
    Make sure that the icon is not actualy "status notifier".
    Interesting. I don't use "Status Notifier". I never would have come to this solution.
    2010-06-10 05:01 PM
    Status notifier is not fully compatible with 3.1.3. Thus the app quits out when clicked. If you want to change the icon just ssh in and change the icon in the coresponding app folder

I love status notifier even if it can't be modified. I love the status bar icons!
    2010-06-14 05:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD