I used iPhone Explorer (free, google it) to download the host file (/etc/host) on my mac, modified it with text edit, then use iphone explorer again to upload it on the iphone. No more problem to reach Cydia after the manipulation.

Hope it will help
    2010-06-22 08:23 AM
    Nicoleptique,

Thank you for your reply. I have downloaded iPhone Explorer as you have suggested and have located the (/etc) selection. I see a file titled "hosts" and another one titled "hosts-equiv". When I drag "hosts" over to my desktop and open it with text edit, all I see is :

##
    # Host Database
    #
    # localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
    # when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
    ##
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
    ::1 localhost
    fe80::1%lo0 localhost

The "host-equiv" file is empty. Is there a step I have forgotten or something I have missed?

All help is greatly appreciated.
    2010-06-22 08:59 AM
    The hosts file you located is the good one. You just have to add

echo "
    93.184.221.133 cache.saurik.com
    " >> /etc/hosts

to this file with text edit (as written in previous messages), and save it. Upload it with iphone Explorer on your iPhone; you should be able to reach cydia without problem.
    2010-06-22 09:08 AM
    Works Great for me thank guys..

the final host file should be like this

##
    # Host Database
    #
    ##
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    fe80::1%lo0 localhost
    echo "
    "

Good luck peeps
    2010-06-22 09:51 AM
    You guys rock !!!!

Thanks to Nicoleptique and to the others for sharing
    It's wonderful!!
    2010-06-22 11:11 AM
    Up and running! Thanks for the help.
    2010-06-22 11:24 AM

echo "
    " >> /etc/hosts

to this file with text edit (as written in previous messages), and save it. Upload it with iphone Explorer on your iPhone; you should be able to reach cydia without problem.
    No please! This line is for the shell prompt! If you edit the hosts file just add
    Code:
    2010-06-22 01:09 PM
    After editing the \etc\hosts file to:
    Code:
    ##
    # Host Database
    #
    ##
    127.0.0.1	localhost
    255.255.255.255	broadcasthost
    fe80::1%lo0	localhost
    echo "
    "
    and uploading back to iPhone, I'm still experiencing "http://apt.saurik.com Host Unreachable"

What additionally needs to be done?
    2010-06-22 09:07 PM
    dktoday that's wrong. Your /etc/hosts should look like this
    Code:
    ##
    # Host Database
    #
    ##
    127.0.0.1	localhost

and in addition with apt.saurik.com it should be like this
    Code:
    ##
    # Host Database
    #
    ##
    127.0.0.1	localhost

74.208.10.24 apt.saurik.com
    Like I said: The echo was for the console and not for editing the file manually!
    Last edited by x5c0d3; 2010-06-23 at 03:24 PM.
    2010-06-23 12:24 AM
    Thanks for the clarification, but I'm still receiving the "http://apt.saurik.com host unreachable" error...

I've changed the /etc/hosts file to:
    Code:
    ##
    # Host Database
    #
    ##
    127.0.0.1       localhost
    fe80::1%lo0     localhost

74.208.10.24 apt.saurik.com
    Uploaded and restarted my iPhone to no avail.

Am I missing something more basic? To begin with, the Cydia home screen also does not load entirely. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    2010-06-23 04:03 AM
    You don't need to reset your device after editing the hosts file. Did you try to surf to apt.saurik.com with your normal browser? Just to see if its an iPhone problem or one from your provider.
    2010-06-24 07:33 PM
    Hi,

I also live in china, and tried it... modify the iPhone hosts file, reboot, and still "unreachable".

From the iphone safari browser or my computer, i can see the files.

i had an idea about making a wifi ad-hoc connection under my french company vpn connection, but it seems that my computer's wifi sucks...

any other ideas ?
    2010-06-24 10:49 PM
    One more time: After modifiying the hosts file you don't need to reboot.

Did you try to connect to apt.saurik.com and cache.saurik.com with your browser?
    2010-06-24 11:41 PM
    i live in china to.
    i think cydia needs to download some files from blogspot or smth.
    Problem is those ip adresses blocked by great china firewall.

so best way to solve that is suscribe to a vpn server. i tried lots of free vpn servers but that dont work then i suscribe from
    wwww.acevpn.com for 1 month 5.95 $ then download files from cydia.
    after long long waiting, i have a unlocked iphone to
    also i can watch youtube and login facebook from my iphone to.
    2010-06-25 12:11 AM
    i live in china to.
    i think cydia needs to download some files from blogspot or smth.
    Problem is those ip adresses blocked by great china firewall.

so best way to solve that is subscribe to a vpn server. i tried lots of free vpn servers but that dont work then i suscribe from
    wwww.acevpn.com for 1 month 5.95 $ then download files from cydia.
    after long long waiting, i have a unlocked iphone to
    also i can watch youtube and login facebook from my iphone to.
    Also in China. Same problem with apt.saurik.com. Installed VPN on the iPhone and worked like a charm. Strange because I was able use PC to go to apt.saurik.com, even bridged through my PC to VPN (Witopia) but that did not work.

Thanks very much for this simple solution.
    2010-06-25 03:58 AM

echo "
    " >> /etc/hosts

OK, first off this is a mistake and can lead to problems if you're not careful enough.

The above code was for command line manipulation of the hosts file ONLY (i.e. editing the file using terminal). If you are using iPhone Explorer to modify the hosts file, only enter the following line:
    "93.184.221.133 cache.saurik.com"
    (Without quotes)

This should solve your problem.

Do not enter the following lines into the hosts file:
    echo "
    " >> /etc/hosts

The iPhone problem related to firmware 3.1.3 is unrelated to this thread.

The Spirit jailbreak method, from what I have read, has a few problems of it's own. Even if you have correctly modified the hosts file, you might experience problems unrelated to the -anihC fo llaweriF taerG- (backwards). I have no experience with either 3.1.3 or the Spirit jailbreak unlock.

If you can, wait a couple of weeks until Geohot or the DevTeam release a new jailbreak for iOS 4.0. After installing iOS 4.0, it is likely that you will have to edit the hosts file again to include cache.saurik.com and possibly apt.saurik.com.

I sincerely doubt this is a firewall block; rather a DNS fault or similar. The Chinese are smarter than that.
    2010-06-25 02:11 PM
    After editing the hosts file and it still not working, I found this solution to work just fine and my phone can now reach Cydia and download needed programs to unlock, etc. For some "reason," people in China can't access certain websites...

from the comment section of How to jailbreak & unlock iPhone 3G running iOS 4.0 | All on the iPhone, iPod touch & iPad

"I spent a good 2 hours on deal with “host unreachable” error in cydia( for both cydia update and downloading ultrasnow) and eventually solved the issue by setting proxy of my wifi connect to 119.70.40.101, port 8080 (there is a state firewall in china blocking youtube and facebook, guess thats the reason but i had the same problem with cydia when i was on 3.0, but rock and icy did not have the same issue)."

This proxy worked for me! 'Hope it works for you too...
    2010-06-25 08:05 PM
    Hahahaha

After a bit more than 2 years living in china in different cities, i'm everyday surprised about "how smart they CAN'T be... !!"

OK, first off this is a mistake and can lead to problems if you're not careful enough.

The above code was for command line manipulation of the hosts file ONLY (i.e. editing the file using terminal). If you are using iPhone Explorer to modify the hosts file, only enter the following line:
    "93.184.221.133 cache.saurik.com"
    (Without quotes)

This should solve your problem.

Do not enter the following lines into the hosts file:
    echo "
    " >> /etc/hosts

The iPhone problem related to firmware 3.1.3 is unrelated to this thread.

The Spirit jailbreak method, from what I have read, has a few problems of it's own. Even if you have correctly modified the hosts file, you might experience problems unrelated to the -anihC fo llaweriF taerG- (backwards). I have no experience with either 3.1.3 or the Spirit jailbreak unlock.

If you can, wait a couple of weeks until Geohot or the DevTeam release a new jailbreak for iOS 4.0. After installing iOS 4.0, it is likely that you will have to edit the hosts file again to include cache.saurik.com and possibly apt.saurik.com.

I sincerely doubt this is a firewall block; rather a DNS fault or similar. The Chinese are smarter than that.
    Working perfectly for me with the proxy...

Thank you everyone !

After editing the hosts file and it still not working, I found this solution to work just fine and my phone can now reach Cydia and download needed programs to unlock, etc. For some "reason," people in China can't access certain websites...

from the comment section of How to jailbreak & unlock iPhone 3G running iOS 4.0 | All on the iPhone, iPod touch & iPad

"I spent a good 2 hours on deal with “host unreachable” error in cydia( for both cydia update and downloading ultrasnow) and eventually solved the issue by setting proxy of my wifi connect to 119.70.40.101, port 8080 (there is a state firewall in china blocking youtube and facebook, guess thats the reason but i had the same problem with cydia when i was on 3.0, but rock and icy did not have the same issue)."

This proxy worked for me! 'Hope it works for you too...
    Last edited by joey_cn; 2010-06-26 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-06-26 01:05 PM
    i get everything you guys are saying except for one thing...how do i get to /etc/hosts ????? i tried using iphone explorer as well...but i get my iphone to appear on the left and only apps and media underneath it...i browed every single folder..no etc folder or hosts file....
    im on a pc.
    2010-06-26 06:31 PM
    To access this folder via iPhone Explorer you need to set the root directory to the real root directory (i.e. /).

However, if you can't select the root directory, you will need to install an app from cydia called afc2add, which adds full usb support. Since you're on this forum, I'm guessing you won't be able to install this app.

Try the proxy a couple of posts above this.
    2010-06-27 09:28 AM
46 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD