what do u mean set the root directory to the real root directory? u mean in the top url type place where it says iPhone/ ...... i should make it iPhone/etc/hosts , thats all?
    neway i got it to work by adding acevpn to my phone i guess it is chinas great firewall. but i still want to get the other way to work just in case i dont wna pay for that anymore. so i have downloaded that program via cydia but i still dont see hosts if i add iPhone/etc/hosts in the url place.
    but for those who are in china and wna pay for vpn go for acevpn it WORKS. no more host unreachable **** after that

nevermind i got this done..i just used diskaid instead of iphone explorer and was easy to access all the required files. thanks tho.
    Last edited by xnotoriouzpakix; 2010-06-27 at 06:15 PM.
    2010-06-27 04:00 PM
    I think you're confusing Windows Explorer (or perhaps another app) with iPhone Explorer. iPhone Explorer is an application for viewing the normally hidden files on the iPhone. In it, there is no address address bar to type in a URL - only an ability to select the root address.

iPhone Explorer - A USB iPhone browser for Mac and PC
    2010-06-28 10:43 AM
    Got the same problem and much more. Here is the complete guide. And is not the Chinese great firewall problem since before downgrading Cydia was working well.
    Downgrade iPhone 3G ios 4 to 3.1.3 "got stuck" guide | News4GSM
    So in order to make this mod you need to access the file located at /etc/host . And in order to do this you need to be able to root-access your device. So there is a new problem and of course an answer to it. The package that gives you root access to your iPhone is named afc2add and can be found in saurik repo ( that you can’t access for the present moment) but also on ModMyI.com repo that is available. It does come with one dependency but that will pose no problem ( at least for me it didn’t). Just follow the picture I attached and go in Cydia and enter : Manage than Sources and than navigate trough ModMyI.com repo until you find afc2add package. Install the package.
    Now you are able to access your iPhone at a root level, and you can do this using iPhone Explorer or with Total Comander after installing T-Pot plugin. I use Total Commander on regular bases and for this task too.
    Last edited by dildo; 2010-08-04 at 05:10 AM. Reason: forgot some details
    2010-08-04 05:06 AM
    After editing the hosts file and it still not working, I found this solution to work just fine and my phone can now reach Cydia and download needed programs to unlock, etc. For some "reason," people in China can't access certain websites...

from the comment section of How to jailbreak & unlock iPhone 3G running iOS 4.0 | All on the iPhone, iPod touch & iPad

"I spent a good 2 hours on deal with “host unreachable” error in cydia( for both cydia update and downloading ultrasnow) and eventually solved the issue by setting proxy of my wifi connect to 119.70.40.101, port 8080 (there is a state firewall in china blocking youtube and facebook, guess thats the reason but i had the same problem with cydia when i was on 3.0, but rock and icy did not have the same issue)."

This proxy worked for me! 'Hope it works for you too...
    Dude. You get 500 hundred cookies and a hug, your solution worked great! Saved by the internet!
    2010-08-15 01:17 PM
    I also live in China, and one solution that worked for me was adding the source Index of /cydia/, and then deleting the original Saurik source in the package.
    2010-08-18 11:18 AM
    After editing the hosts file and it still not working, I found this solution to work just fine and my phone can now reach Cydia and download needed programs to unlock, etc. For some "reason," people in China can't access certain websites...

from the comment section of How to jailbreak & unlock iPhone 3G running iOS 4.0 | All on the iPhone, iPod touch & iPad

"I spent a good 2 hours on deal with “host unreachable” error in cydia( for both cydia update and downloading ultrasnow) and eventually solved the issue by setting proxy of my wifi connect to 119.70.40.101, port 8080 (there is a state firewall in china blocking youtube and facebook, guess thats the reason but i had the same problem with cydia when i was on 3.0, but rock and icy did not have the same issue)."

This proxy worked for me! 'Hope it works for you too...
    My unlock stopped working just as I'm travelling in China. Had to restore and ultrasn0w unlock through Cydia and would have been SOL without this fix. THANK YOU!!!
    2010-10-15 11:42 AM
46 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD