User Tag List

I installed some updates for Cydia (about 3 or 4) all at once, and for some reason it rebooted my Touch (3rd gen running 3.1.2), and now it's stuck on the Apple logo at the boot screen. I tried reapplying blackra1n but it says "This application has failed to start because ASL.dll was not found". I tried reinstalling blackra1n but it still didn't fix it.

It also doesn't show up in any programs like DiskAid or iFunBox. iTunes recognizes it as a faulty device and offers to restore it (which would of course wipe everything on my iPod and update it to the latest firmware, which I really don't want to do). I've tried entering DFU mode (by using the sleep and power buttons) but it doesn't seem to work.

Is there any solution? I really really really don't want to lose the data and 3rd party programs I had on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    2010-06-19 12:46 PM
    I crashed my iPhone some months ago too. What I did: Recovery with iTunes. Then jailbreaked again and installed everything I need. I remember that I didn't loose my pictures but as fr as I remember the rest was gone.
    2010-06-19 03:31 PM
    In order to fix the Blackra1n error: "This application has failed to start because ASL.dll was not found" simply copy the Blackra1n.exe file into:

C: \Program Files \Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support

then try it again. It should sort it out.
    2010-06-19 06:23 PM
    In order to fix the Blackra1n error: "This application has failed to start because ASL.dll was not found" simply copy the Blackra1n.exe file into:

C: Program Files Common FilesAppleApple Application Support

then try it again. It should sort it out.
    Thanks a bunch man, this worked for me.

PHEW.. so glad I didn't have to restore my iPod. Just the thought of having to put in all those contacts again.. ugh...

EDIT: Though I am still stuck with a rather strange issue - both my Music and Mail icons have little blue circular icons on the bottom-left corner of them. I've checked all my processes and resprung the springboard, but they don't disappear. Any idea what they mean?
    2010-06-20 11:12 AM
    Can you show a screenshot maybe?
    2010-06-20 12:26 PM
    EDIT: Though I am still stuck with a rather strange issue - both my Music and Mail icons have little blue circular icons on the bottom-left corner of them. I've checked all my processes and resprung the springboard, but they don't disappear. Any idea what they mean?
    Are you running a Cydia app for multi tasking or something? I know that Backgrounder shows small icons at the bottom left when the app is running, but this is a black cross type of thing not blue.

Presume you have done a reboot rather than a just a respring.

Would be interested to hear what you find out.
    2010-06-20 12:42 PM

It's nothing malicious (to my knowledge), they're just a bit annoying. I have no idea what the cause could be, I've never seen anything like this. I know that Backgrounded displays a black variant of these icons when you've got multiple apps running at once. These blue icons appeared once I opened and closed the application. I think they last for about 2 or 3 hours before they disappear.

Any ideas?
    2010-06-22 09:56 AM
    To create Screenshots from your iDevice do the following:
    Press and hold the HOME button. Then press the LOCK button (the one at the top) without releasing HOME. You will see your Springboard flashing and hear a cameraclick like when you shoot a photo. Looking at your photos you will find the screenshot.
    2010-06-22 11:24 AM
    To create Screenshots from your iDevice do the following:
    Press and hold the HOME button. Then press the LOCK button (the one at the top) without releasing HOME. You will see your Springboard flashing and hear a cameraclick like when you shoot a photo. Looking at your photos you will find the screenshot.
    It shows the exact same thing as the photo I took.
    2010-06-22 12:02 PM
    Yes I know but it is better than a photo. Just wanted to teach you this possibility

These badges you have must be from an application you installed.
    2010-06-22 12:11 PM
    The blue circle is backgrounder's way of denoting native backgrounding. You can disable it in the options. Other than that, there's nothing odd about what you're describing, it's pretty standard fare for a tethered jailbreak.

Consider yourself lucky. At least it didn't brick your phone.
    2010-06-22 12:18 PM
    Thanks! That solved it.
    2010-07-15 07:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD