Hello iPhone community(:
    I'm having some trouble, I searched around trying to find out how to change the overlay/shadow of an app when you press it and I found this from persichini in another post:
    In your theme folder make a directory <Your theme>UIImages
    in that sub directory place two blank transparent images in the png format
    AppIconOverlay.png
    AppIconShadow.png
    they should be 59x60
    And I did all of that, but it's still not working, I respringed/rebooted, and even the current theme that I have now has custom overlays and shadows but they don't show up.
    Would running 4.0.1 be the problem?

Update: I installed iWipe Cache, but that didn't help
    Attached Thumbnails Overlay/Shadow Icon Help-screenshot1.png  
    Last edited by sillybryanx; 2010-08-06 at 09:29 AM.
    2010-08-06 09:03 AM
    I installed iWipe Cache, but that didn't help
    2010-08-06 09:29 AM
    I'm having the same issue. I don't remember this shadow appearing before updating from iPhone 3g 3.1.3 to 4.0.1. I was using transparent 59x60 AppIconOverlay and AppIconShadow images. I even tried over sized shadows to match my icons, but those images in the UIImages folder don't seem to work at all anymore. Something's changed with this OS.
    Attached Thumbnails Overlay/Shadow Icon Help-theme1.png  
    2010-08-08 05:39 PM
    It seems that you can't do alot with 4.0.1 compared to 3.0 with winterboard. I even tried to downgrade to 3.0 but apple didn't approve it
    2010-08-09 03:38 AM
    If i understand correctly you want to remove the selected highlight (when you pick an icon)

If so then read bellow.

To remove the select icon shadow you need to put a blank file named in IconDarkeningOverlay.png Bundles\com.apple.springboard
    Apple are Control freaks we need to stop them before they take over the world!!
    2010-08-09 07:26 PM
    Awesome thanks alot. It works now. This has been bugging me the past 2 days after updating. Was trying the wrong image the whole time.
    Attached Thumbnails Overlay/Shadow Icon Help-theme2.png  
    2010-08-10 12:08 AM
    Thank you sooo much(: that worked(:
    2010-08-10 02:04 AM
    instead of starting another thread,

what is the best/easiest way (I could incorporate it into the theme I'm working or make a small new one, don't care) to remove the shadows behind undocked icons? there is a no icon shadow theme, but it doesn't work for iphone 4 on ios 4.01. Should I just take those same files and add @2x?
    2010-08-13 10:20 PM
    instead of starting another thread,

what is the best/easiest way (I could incorporate it into the theme I'm working or make a small new one, don't care) to remove the shadows behind undocked icons? there is a no icon shadow theme, but it doesn't work for iphone 4 on ios 4.01. Should I just take those same files and add @2x?

Yes!!! Almost all of the iPhone4 original frame work files need @2x.png most need to be doubled in size. You can find the original files in system/library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app
    2010-08-13 11:50 PM
    it appears that my shadows are specific to the apps . I am going to have to mess around. Bleh....

Only reason I'm pretty sure of that is I literally made every icon in the Springboard.app that looked even remotely like a shaded icon transparent and they are still that way lol.

Also to clarify my issue wasn't actually the shadows but the black icon around icons that have any transparent parts. It doesn't affect the stock 16 apps but does affect all the ones I've bought or downloaded.

Hmm I'm stumped here. does anyone know how to fix this? I'm talking about a black (and on some apps grey) block behind any non-standard app icons I have with transparency. The standard 16 don't have this even when I make them with transparent parts but all of my other apps do...
    Last edited by Glycereine; 2010-08-14 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-14 06:18 AM

Also to clarify my issue wasn't actually the shadows but the black icon around icons that have any transparent parts. It doesn't affect the stock 16 apps but does affect all the ones I've bought or downloaded.

Hmm I'm stumped here. does anyone know how to fix this? I'm talking about a black (and on some apps grey) block behind any non-standard app icons I have with transparency. The standard 16 don't have this even when I make them with transparent parts but all of my other apps do...

I'm having this same issue.

I took icons from one theme, which have transparent backgrounds, and put them into a different theme. This caused the transparency to go away, and leave a black or grey background in it's place. It makes no sense to me. I did nothing to alter any files. I just moved them.

I have a twitter icon I'm trying to use too, which I downloaded from a google image search, and it's doing the same.

I used to never have this problem when making icons for my 3G, so I have no idea what the problem could be.
    2010-08-15 02:18 AM
    Hey guys...

check this out
    http://modmyi.com/forums/skinning-th...king-dock.html

i think that will help. had the same prob.
    2010-08-16 09:25 AM
    that sort of helped axzel but unless I'm missing something that's only fixing the docked icons. It did however get me into another thread where people are discussing this issue.
    2010-08-17 01:17 AM
    I just found an app where the icon didn't do this (the inherent icon is already transparent). So I think it has something to do with how the icon is initially set up. This may mean many apps come with their own shadow built in. I'm looking now and will post results when I have them.

edit: unfortunately if this is the case it means a different name and file location for every app...
    2010-08-18 02:14 AM
    sigh... the app that already has transparency is mobilefinder and there is no image in its file for a transparency mask or shadow so I still am not understanding this issue.
    2010-08-19 07:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD